Newb needs photo zip app cmd line install help

2gangvc

Reaction score
Credits
I,m trying in vain to download and install a package that will allow me to send a bunch of photos in a folder using a zip compressor .
Not being familiar with file / folder / photo compressors with this at all how can i download and install such a zip compressor application using the terminal cmd line without a bunch of faffing around . some sudo cmd lines would be a great help to load up peazip or 7zip please

I,m trying in vain to download and install a package that will allow me to send a bunch of photos in a folder using a zip compressor .
Not being familiar with file / folder / photo compressors with this at all how can i download and install such a zip compressor application using the terminal cmd line without a bunch of faffing around . some sudo cmd lines would be a great help to load up peazip or 7zip please

7ZIP

Last edited:
the commands to install those programs will depend on what linux distribution you are running so you may want to add that information to get the help you are looking for.

the commands to install those programs will depend on what linux distribution you are running so you may want to add that information to get the help you are looking for.
I put a link to the generic instructions in my post ;)

I,m running Linux Mint
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
19.3?? Update your OS, 21.2 is out lol. The link in my first post has instructions on how to install and use 7zip which will work with Mint ;)

I,m running Linux Mint
Actually all you need is:

Code:
sudo apt install p7zip-full p7zip-rar
I just installed it myself to make sure

I would like a GUI please , not done much work in the cmd line so all new really

i haven't used mint 19.x in a while, but on mint 20.3 there is an entry for a program called File-roller in the Software Manger that should work with 7zip.

I haven't tried it in ages, but the last time I did file-roller didn't handle 7zip files. PeaZip is a GUI that handles 7zip files out of the box, I think... I haven't had to deal with a 7zip file for a long time.

I'd just stick with .zip, which everyone can deal with handily. PeaZip will also handle that in a nice GUI.

this is from mint 20.3. i'm not sure about 19.3:
Code:
apt show file-roller
Suggests: p7zip-full...
Description: archive manager for GNOME
 File-roller is an archive manager for the GNOME environment. It allows you to:
  * Create and modify archives.
  * View the content of an archive.
  * View a file contained in an archive.
  * Extract files from the archive.
 File-roller supports the following formats:
  * Tar (.tar) archives, including those compressed with
    gzip (.tar.gz, .tgz), bzip (.tar.bz, .tbz), bzip2 (.tar.bz2, .tbz2),
    compress (.tar.Z, .taz), lzip (.tar.lz, .tlz), lzop (.tar.lzo, .tzo),
    lzma (.tar.lzma) and xz (.tar.xz)
  * Zip archives (.zip)
  * Jar archives (.jar, .ear, .war)
  * 7z archives (.7z)

Last edited:
* 7z archives (.7z)

See? That's new. Well, for some definition of new. I haven't tried in ages as I've not seen a 7zip file in ages.

Suggests: p7zip-full...

I suspect that's why it now supports them.

I still stand with the PeaZip recommendation as it'll be so much more familiar and easy for them to use.

linux-mint-dark-mode.png

That's what it looks like. (Not my image.)

ease of use was also part of my thought process since i think file-roller (as well as p7zip-full) may come pre-installed on mint 19. at least distrowatch says it is and i believe it was in my mint 20.2 cinnamon virtual machine where it is integrated into Nemo (the file manager) with right-click extract and compress options that include .7z.

i agree that the gui image you posted looks easier to figure out than when first opening file-roller (labeled Archive Manager) from the menu.

The GUI image that you posted is what i,m looking for , like i say i,m new to this.
I installed p7zip in the software manager and it shows in the synaptic manager too but how do i bring up the GUI ?.

It's Mint that you're using so you want the GTK version.

It's up near the top. Download it. Navigate to your Downloads file. Right click on it and you should see an "install" type of option (maybe GDebi will be mentioned). Pick that. Enter your password when asked and let the software do its thing. It should resolve any dependency issues.

Well, learn something new every day, a bit confusing at first but now fully installed with peazip GUI.
Thanks everyone for all the help

Latest posts