New Laptop

PsychoHermit

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings folks.

Holy cow, my laptop ran for 7 1/2 hours on battery, and that was down to 20%. i must say I am very pleased. Must be a hell of a battery.

--glenn

Which Lappy is it?

It's an HP Envy x360, model 15-fh0023dx. Everything works except the sound. I'm keeping an eye on experimental for a new kernel that supports the sound chip.

--glenn

Last edited:
It's an HP Envy x360, model 15-fh0023dx. Everything works except the sound. I'm keeping an eye on experimental for a new kernel that supports the sound chip.

--glenn
Hi glenn, and happy new year to you.

I'm using an "HP Envy x360 convertible" model 15-w117cl which, I think is similar to yours. I had an issue with sound because, at least when using an external HDMI monitor (which I pretty much always do and haven't otherwise tried to get sound working), the sound goes out over HDMI and my HDMI monitor has no speakers. I was able to get sound working through the headphone jack. If this sounds like it might be your issue, let me know and I'll rummage around in my notes and post a fix that you can try.

I haven't really done a deep dive into getting the touch screen working under linux (because I'm using an external monitor), but any pointers you might have on that would be appreciated.

I'm investigating a possible failing hard drive on that system right now, but I guess that's what they make USB sticks for.. (Grrr! Another WD bites the dust).

hey Mike,

Happy New Year to you as well.

My sound issue sounds similar to yours, I was trying to use the ALC245 chip and I don't think it's supported by the current kernel. I don't know what to do there, I don't think HDMI will work for me.

My touchscreen seems to be working on the built in monitor. Touching the screen is just wrong imho ;)

So you have a spinning HD it sounds like, I have a 512 GB SSD.

Thanks,
--glenn

My sound devices:
Code:
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 04:00.1
  Device-2: AMD ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: snd_rn_pci_acp3x v: kernel bus-ID: 04:00.5
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 04:00.6
  API: ALSA v: k6.5.0-5-amd64 status: kernel-api
  Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.0 status: active

Last edited:
How do I do that? I have unmuted it in aslamixer.

Thanks,
--glenn

Last edited:
That depends on your environment.

You can MAYBE click the icon in the system tray and select something that says 'sound settings'.

You might then already be on the output tab at that point and you can change it from HDMI to your internal speakers. You might also use pavucontrol, but that'd need to be installed perhaps as you've got pipewire installed.

It looks like you have drivers installed, so that's what I'd check.

I went into settings and checked the sound settings and they look correct. Family 17h/19h HD Audio is the only option.

Thanks,
--glenn

Last edited:
I switched to pulseaudio and pavucontrol is set up. What else do I need to do to get sound to the speakers?
Headphones work.

Thanks,
--glenn

Last edited:
I switched to pulseaudio and pavucontrol is set up. What else do I need to do?

Thanks,
--glenn

I'm not sure. You checked and it didn't make a difference. So, that was my only thinking at this point.

I think my sound is not fully supported in Linux with the current kernel. I'm keeping an eye on experimental hoping for a new kernel that supports my audio chip. I saw a posting where someone added a patch to the kennel and got sound working. I guess I'll either have to patch and compile a kernel or just wait for support to be added.

Thanks,
--glenn

I guess I'll either have to patch and compile a kernel or just wait for support to be added.

That's a lot to do for just sound, but I'll root for you.

I do have a USB 'sound card'. You just plug it into your USB and it has line out and mic in jacks. I bought it for a similar reason - the sound not working on the device. The USB drive was recognized instantly and just plain worked.

That seems a bit silly to add to a mobile device.

By the way, does the headphone jack (assuming you have one) output sound?

I'm pretty much of a noob at all things sound related and all things HDMI related but I followed this thread on the tiny core linux forums (it doesn't look like it would necessarily be specific to Tiny Core) and got it working. The example mentions snd_hda_intel which matched my system and looks like it would match yours.

I ended up with the following clauses in my config files:
Code:
# in grub.cfg added
blacklist=snd_hda_intel
# to the "linux" line

# in /opt/bootsync.sh (to run once at boot time):
modprobe snd_hda_intel options enable=0

# Then, when alsa loads, it picks up the first sound device that is
# still available (the device currently shown as your Device-2) and
# that as Device-1.  (This is my own, possibly faulty, understanding.
# YMMV but I don't think it will break anything if it doesn't work.)

Yes, the headphone jack works.

Thanks,
--glenn
I'm pretty much of a noob at all things sound related and all things HDMI related but I followed this thread on the tiny core linux forums (it doesn't look like it would necessarily be specific to Tiny Core) and got it working. The example mentions snd_hda_intel which matched my system and looks like it would match yours.

I ended up with the following clauses in my config files:
Code:
# in grub.cfg added
blacklist=snd_hda_intel
# to the "linux" line

# in /opt/bootsync.sh (to run once at boot time):
modprobe snd_hda_intel options enable=0

# Then, when alsa loads, it picks up the first sound device that is
# still available (the device currently shown as your Device-2) and
# that as Device-1.  (This is my own, possibly faulty, understanding.
# YMMV but I don't think it will break anything if it doesn't work.)
Didn't work for me.

Thanks for trying,
--glenn

The headphones working makes me think it's still some sort of output problem - but I don't have any other ideas besides checking the output settings.

Members online