New here!

danielj

Reaction score
Credits
I have a new computer that has Microsoft software on it. I hate having to fight it. I would like a UNIX system for it. I have used computers from freegeek for years and enjoyed them. (They just start overheating in a couple years.) It was a major fight to download firefox with the ms system. Now, EDGE comes on in the background to keep track of every key stoke. Then it hides and wont even work for me. What a joke. I still need to use a functional computer. HELP

I am new. I need to discover what a Linux distro is before I decide what to install. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,
As a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]

When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz
depending on the specification of your computer there are many different distributions, I suggest you download several and run them live to see which runs best on your equipment and which you like the look of best

Addition.. you can run most linux installation disk live to test them, this will not alter anything on your machine until yo decide to hit the install button

I am new. I need to discover what a Linux distro is before I decide what to install. Thanks for the input.

See the link above. There's some links and information on that page that'll help get you started, including some links to learn more about the various distros and how you can test them without even installing them.

I have used computers from freegeek for years and enjoyed them. (They just start overheating in a couple years.)
I quote. "(They just start overheating in a couple years.)". Priceless.

Ever blow the dust out of them.
Ever wondered why they are over heating.
Ever check to make sure the fans are spinning freely.

G'day danielj, Welcome to Linux.org

You need a functional computer.

You have a new computer with msft on it that you do not particularly like. ....you hate having to fight with it.

The simplest Linux distro (distribution/operating system) is Linux Mint. The latest is Linux Mint 20.1

It is a good solid operating system.

Tell me what you know about downloading a Linux .iso and adding it to a USB stick.

If you have not done this before we can guide you quickly and easily to do this

Doing this will allow you to run LM20.1 (linux mint 20.1) from the usb stick.

It will not install it to the Hard Drive (yet)

To actually install it you would need to click on the INSTALL icon on the desktop, and then follow the installation prompts through.

First things first.

1. Tell us what the new computer is...brand model, cpu, ram. hard drive etc etc....everything you can please.

2. Tell us if you know anything about mounting a Linux .iso to a usb stick.

Those two steps are a good start

Just a quick add on
A Linux distribution is an operating system made from a software collection that is based upon the Linux kernel.
If that sounds a bit vague, it probably is.
Once you actually run a Linux OS (operating system/distro etc) you will soon realise that what you are playing with is stable, and for the most part has what you need to browse the internet in a functional manner
You could also let us know just what you use your computer for?....browing, facebook, youtube, pics, data, Music, ????.....etc etc....are there any special programs you use?

Talk to us.

Last edited:
And yet the points it makes re the differences between windows & Linux are still as pertinent today as they were when it was first published.

Pick a distro. Install it. If you don't like it, repeat the first two steps until you do like it.

See also:

better still research; put several candidate distro onto a single ventoy formated usb stick. Play with them - save the energy for installing several for installing the one you want

Latest posts