My Tower Has Died.

Modern BIOS/UEFI is much easier.

Download the file - it may be an .exe but that's fine - and copy it (not like writing it to disk as an ISO, just copy it) to a USB thumb drive.

Boot your computer.

At POST, enter the setup menu (an F key, and look for an Fn key if on a laptop so that you're sure to be selecting the F key and not the Fn key).

In the setup menu, find the update BIOS/UEFI menu option.

It's a handy GUI these days, so you can use your mouse to pick it.

It'll happily find the .exe and update the BIOS/UEFI in just a few seconds.

In some instances, or in at least one instance, it simply noticed that there was an update available in the USB (when entering the setup menu) and presented it as an option. I've only seen that once, so I don't want to call that normal.

Either way, the key point is just copy it to an external disk, boot to the setup menu, and find the update option. There may be a dedicated option, but it's not too challenging.

I would suggest making sure that you do so when you have consistent power from the grid. While the process is short, it can be a pain in the butt to fix things if the update is interrupted.

BUT... Good news! You can usually recover with just software these days! I 'member harassing a poor telephone jocky until they sent me a new BIOS (on a chip) that I had to insert into the motherboard.

@bob466 , how is it going, Bob?.....I have been thinking baout the boards that i mentioned

I have come to the conclusion that the only board I would go with would be an ASRock

Both my pc and my wifes pc have them.

I can give you the motherboards names/numbers etc if you wish.

@bob466 , how is it going, Bob?.....I have been thinking baout the boards that i mentioned

I have come to the conclusion that the only board I would go with would be an ASRock

Both my pc and my wifes pc have them.

I can give you the motherboards names/numbers etc if you wish.

Thanks Condobloke...I might try an Asrock motherboard...could you give me the names and numbers please.

I have my Tower back minus their parts...I asked could they try another motherboard...they said no...can I plug my Flash Drive in to a built computer to see if it will boot...no we don't allow that.

They would rather loose a paying customer than get off their high horse to help...I'm lucky I have my old legacy Laptop for now.

Looking at motherboards and CPUs on Amazon and there are many...they seem very complicated these days not like 10.5 years ago. :eek:

Mine: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B150M Pro4

My wife's: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: H110M-DGS

Mine would be approx 9 years old
My wife's would be perhaps a year younger

Like all the rest of the motherboard manufacturers, they do not say that they support Linux....just windows

However when it came to update the bios on both of these, I simply downloaded it from their website and it was all over and done with in less then a few minutes. They did not actually need to be updated for any other reason other than I wanted to. it was not broken but I went ahead and fixed it anyway.

Aside from that...they both run via uefi.....mine has lots of bells and whistles....my wife's not so much

No dramas with either of them

Where are you located?...is there a Linux User Group near you ?....there is sure to be some bloke who builds his own etc who will give you a hand if you need it.

Mine: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B150M Pro4

My wife's: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: H110M-DGS

Mine would be approx 9 years old
My wife's would be perhaps a year younger

Thanks for that but I would like new hardware because yours might be hard to find now...same problem with me.

I did find this...
https://www.maketecheasier.com/build-new-pc-for-linux/
This makes me feel much better.

Computer shop stuffed my SSD...when I got my Tower back...I took out the SSD and put it in my Laptop...it wouldn't boot...had to format it and clone it from the Laptops SSD...so I shouldn't believe anything these clowns say. :mad:

I have just literally run through this ......to find the below.
I have no idea if it suits you or your budget......I just took a punt.

At PC Case gear in Melbourne: They sell, :: ASRock Z790 Pro RS DDR5 Motherboard ....$369

Also : https://www.pccasegear.com/products/59855/asrock-z790-pro-rs-ddr4-motherboard ....$299

You can also get a quote from them to fit it

PC Case Gear
800 Wellington Road
Rowville Vic 3178

Customer Service
030 9560 2122

or...Email them

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ASRock

asrock motherboards

lots of questions....which processor.....which cpu socket, etc etc etc....better to make a list and find out now.

I'm back at last...I once said I'm glad the old days are gone but I take that back because BIOS/legacy was so much easier than this UEFI garbage.
t2407.gif

I did think I knew something about computers but not anymore...so what have I learnt...some motherboards are not compatible with Linux and most computer shops only know windowz and wont go out of their way to help a Linux user.
t1952.gif

I found a small family owned shop who did want to help...they installed the parts and booted to my Cinnamon 21.1 Desktop...problem solved...well not quiet. Got my Tower home...connected everything booted to Desktop and all is good but when I tried to boot to my Ventoy Flash Drive there's no boot menu...guy said bring it back and played with settings and now I have a boot menu and can select Flash Drives.
m1203.gif

However I can't create an image of this SSD and put it back on the same Drive because it was installed in Legacy and can't be seen in UEFI...the same for all my images on my portable SSD.
So on my spare 500GB SSD I did a clean install of Mint Cinnamon 21.1...created an image with Foxclone and successfully Re-Imaged the SSD. All I have to do now is re-install all my software etc which is a real pain and then create an image.

The good news is...my main SSD has all my Documents...Files etc...so nothing is lost...lucky me.
t2611.gif

Good to see you, Bob

Slowly but steadily will win the race, mate. One foot in front of the other will do it every time.

The change to uefi is a step in the right direction. It will all fall into place.

I'm more confused than ever...plugged in both my Ventoy Flash Drive and my portable SSD that has all my images created in Legacy...both mount on the Desktop.

When I Boot to the Boot menu...only my Ventoy Flash Drive shows up but when I boot in to Foxclone and select Restore...all my images appear and I think if I try to restore one it will work...maybe.
t1827.gif

Since it's now UEFI only...my best bet is to create an image of my clean install when everything has been added.
m1212.gif

On a roll, Bob !!!!

Keep going, mate.