multiple monitors not being detected [Resolved, thanks]

fritz1

Reaction score
Credits
My old computer was failing. I had three montiors connected to it for years, worked great. I bought a new computer from Bee-Link ser7. I connected the 3 monitors to it and all three show the same page, same view.
OS is PCLOS latest version 2023, KDE. There is no detection of independent monitors available in display settings. I recall with older computer there was three monitors in display settings. Is there a configuration file that needs attention?
Screenshot_20240305_075009.png

Last edited:

G'day fritz, Welcome to Linux.org

I am not at all familiar with that OS....are there any bios settings that may help ?

Save displays properties:...for any display arrangement ....have you tried this ?....(this is just a guess )

I note you are aged 123....your bones must be creakier than mine!

I'm older than most users, crankier too. I also feel it's somewhat impositional to request an age on a forum. Let's just say I've outlived most of my family and friends. The bones break easier than they should, too! Had two plates and a dozen screws holding my tibia together, very recently installed.

The manufacturer's support says to go to my windows settings and choose the extend function. There is nothing in Bios that addresses multiple monitors or monitor ports. I told them I don't use windows. So multiple monitors must be an OS issue.
$ xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1920x1080 0.00*

I tried xrandr and it doesn't see any difference between one and all three monitors connected. Both xrandr and wayland seem to be installed but I have very little clue as to how to use either. CLI and I have very limited abilities.

I'm older than most users, crankier too.
Crankier too....I know that feeling.
We have one member not long ago turned 89. Probably brighter and more upright/mobile than you and I put together !

I will just drop a members name here who may be able to help. He will see the notification and will probably drop by when he logs in next.

@osprey

Good luck. Take care of that Tibia.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Hello fritz1. Unfortunately, I don't run multiple monitors, I'm unfamiliar with the PCLOS linux distro, and I'd be in the same position as you with the issue having to go searching online.

I believe that this problem is resolvable in xorg, but have no idea on wayland.

Thanks guys!
Hello fritz1. Unfortunately, I don't run multiple monitors, I'm unfamiliar with the PCLOS linux distro, and I'd be in the same position as you with the issue having to go searching online.

I believe that this problem is resolvable in xorg, but have no idea on wayland.
Thanks, hopefully I'll get this figured out before old-age sets in much further

The OS thinks it's a Phoenix1 AMD southern islands something or other. There's no nvidia chip in there, at least the bios didn't indicate that. I suspect there's a configuration change needed for xorg and I have no clue as to what to do or how to do it.

Have a look at this.

The guy talks fairly quickly....you may need to just click on the pic just once to stop the video.....and you can also tap the left hand arrow key, to make the video back up a little bit so you can listen to it again.

I am assuming you have a fairly modern pc

Also, this one may be worth a look

Your graphics card CAN definitely handle the three monitors. The fact that you are running linux should not stop you

Thanks for the help, but I defenestrated the windows a couple decades ago. And, this setup was working with previous system. As you can see in the photo, 3 monitors with same view. Not what is wanted

Attachments

• IMG_20240305_200956362.jpg
    IMG_20240305_200956362.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
A few thoughts:

1. If you're using X11, then the xrandr command should report what displays are connected. If it reports all three, that rules out anything close to the driver or hardware.

2. Perhaps something is fouled up for this user. You create a new user and see if that login works better. If it does we have some clues to go forward with.

3. It looks like you're using KDE, perhaps kscreen (a background task that looks after the displays in KDE) is fouled up in some way. You could move it's config folder out of the way and see if that shakes it loose.
Code:
mv  ~/.local/share/kscreen ~/.local/share/kscreen-disabled
That should cause kscreen to reconfigure from scratch.

renamed the kscreen and a new one was made after reboot. Same problem persists, all monitors still have same view and not detected as independent

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_204151.png
    Screenshot_20240305_204151.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
ok....i have to ask the dumb question. On the desktop, if you right click, do you see a 'displat settings' in the drop down menu ?

I get a configure display settings, a duplicate of what is posted at the beginning of this thread. It shows only one monitor, I have 3.

If you are using X11 (not wayland), what was the output from xrandr?

It's possible to use xrandr to configure multiple monitors. For example, here is the output from xrandr for my desktop:

Code:
% xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 7200 x 2160, maximum 32767 x 32767
DP-0 connected 3360x2100+3840+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 546mm x 352mm
   1920x1200     59.95*+
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 connected primary 3840x2160+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 600mm x 340mm
   3840x2160     60.00*+  30.00   
DP-5 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

In this case there are monitors on DisplayPort-0 and DisplayPort-4. I can tile DP-4 right of DP-0 by doing:
Code:
% xrandr --output DP-0 --left-of DP-4
The main issue with doing things at the level of X11 is that KDE may reimpose its own will on the situation. It may be necessary to disable KDE's hotplug monitor background task under System-Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Background Services -> KScreen2.

See the xrandr man-page, plus excellent multihead background info can be found on the [Arch Linux Wiki page on Multihead] (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/multihead).

This probably exhausts my knowledge of the topic. Hopefully someone who uses PCLOS with the same GPU might chip in.

$ xrandr
default connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1920x1080 0.00*
I don't understand anything about the above, does not make any sense

$ xrandr
default connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1920x1080 0.00*
I don't understand anything about the above, does not make any sense
This seems to indicate X11 has only detected one display, and both xrandr and KDE aren't aware of any other connectors for additional monitors. No connectors are listed, no HDMI, no Display-Port. That seems strange, maybe Bee-Link hardware requires a more recent OS or kernel than you are currently running, or maybe additional drivers are required.

That's part of what I don't understand about what I'm finding. It's not making sense. The Bee-Link is very new and the PCLOS 2023 is also new but maybe not new enough. The AMD gpu has been around for awhile.