Mother Nature is at it again...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Once again, I'm faced with high winds. We did get some snow, which is nice.

But, Mother Nature is tearing down power lines again. We're not going to get the catastrophic/deadly flooding this time around, which is nice. Right now, there's someone trapped in their vehicle while they wait for the power company. That's gotta be interesting.

Anyhow, this is likely to take me offline. I'm hoping that it doesn't, but giving a warning seems prudent. If I should suddenly disappear, you know why.

We should be in 'good' shape. We've had several catastrophic storms that took down trees (including giant trees). Hopefully, that removed the weaker trees and we'll have power restoration progress in short order.

So, if I'm gone for a day or two, you know why. I doubt it'll be that problematic. We'll be just fine. I won't even lose power. The rest of the area will lose power, but they've got generators and all that. It's also not that cold and there's no major flooding at this time.

My cell tower (singular, not plural) went out. Oddly, we had mains power where I live. The connection was up again this morning.

Thanks!

It's a hassle but I quite like living here.

2 years ago the power grid collapsed in Texas. It was literally colder than it was in Alaska.

Texas opted to pass on the opportunity to get connected into the national power grid. Most of the electric companies failed to meet standards. People burned furniture to stay warm. A lot of people died.

I was incredibly lucky. I was only without electricity for 4 hours.

I have my own trade offs for priorities too. Some people don't get it, why I would sacrifice things. They don't understand that it's not really a sacrifice. Not for it isn't.

I have another major snow storm rolling in. It is coming on Wednesday and will drop about 1.5' of snow and that prediction is likely to go up. That's just about 45 cm for you folks that use a rational system of weights and measures.

I'm at a higher elevation, significantly so when compared to the coast and even the village. So, we'll have to wait and see. I'm not worried about me. I'll be just fine. It's the power outages that can impact me - but not because I'll lose power (I won't) but because the tower loses power and doesn't have much in the way of backup power.

Ah well...

Yes, it's spring. It's actually quite normal to have this sort of weather this time of the year. It was the rest of the winter that was screwed up. We had heavy rains and catastrophic flooding, but this is fairly normal. In fact, I don't even start to worry about my garden until just about June. It depends on the weather but we have a very short growing season. The length of the growing season isn't helped by there being a bit of a microclimate where I'm at.

Anyhow...

If I should disappear, you know where to find me. You'll just have to come in a 4x4 or you'll have to take a snowmobile.

That's just about 45 cm for you folks that use a rational system of weights and measures.
Yes, so many things would be so much more simple, a lot less work and a lot less time if we had measurement system based on '10'. I especially would prefer it when it comes to sockets and wrenches.

Damn that egotistical Roman emperor!

There are 25mm per inch

So, one eighth of an inch will be 3.125mm

2 x eighths .... one quarter... will be 6.250mm....usually sized as 7mm

3 x eighths....will be 10mm (it works out as 9.375.....nudge it up to 10...tis only a difference of .6 of a mm).

4 x eighths.......13mm (1/2")

and so on.

Many years ago, when I started my own shop/business, I printed and laminated a sheet with all conversions on it, and pinned it to the wall of my workshop.
After the first month, I didn't need to refer to it ever again