Monitor Weirdness...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I'm putting this in off-topic because it's not really a question or anything like that. I don't really need to know the why or the how. I also don't mind digression.

I am a tester of Lubuntu. That's my chosen role. I do this because I notice small things.

Well, today was slightly more than a small thing...

I have a computer in my studio with a cheap monitor. Things can get pretty active in there and I picked a cheap monitor because I didn't care if it got whacked with a guitar neck. If it fell on the floor, I was out a "Westinghouse" monitor. (Some cheap Chinese thing that they slapped their name on.)

Well, it has never had a good color profile. Blacks are not all that black, for example. Colors are not vibrant. Keep that in mind.

I was poking around and updating the device. I decided to check the refresh rate.

No, I couldn't change it.

As a lark, I decided to I'd try a 16:10 format instead of a 16:9.

I hit the apply button and the change was amazing. The monitor is quite old now (several years) and yet now the blacks were inky black compared to the previous configuration. I did A/B testing multiple times just to ensure I wasn't fooling myself and the colors are legitimately different.

All I did was change the ratio. I didn't change anything else. There's nothing else to change as I don't even have a real GPU in that computer.

It was quite a pronounced change. It was a remarkable change. (Of course it's remarkable, as I'm remarking on it right now! Ha! I crack myself up!)

I have no idea why. It makes no sense to me that the ratio would change this. I checked another computer and it made no difference at all. It's just this one.

For whatever reason, the monitor does better in 16:10 than it does in 16:9.

Ah well... I suspect it's one of those weird things that I'll never truly understand. I should try playing with the monitor's settings but I always get lost in those menus.

Oh well as long as it's better and you are happier with it performance than why try to understand why or figure it out.

I use old cheap thrift store VGA monitors and some of them look better than others I just use them until they fail.

I used to buy good quality monitors although they never lasted more than a year so.

I'm a simpleton and don't need highfalutin high definition computer monitors.

I'm old and 1024 X 768 is my preferred resolution.

Oh well as long as it's better and you are happier with it performance than why try to understand why or figure it out.

I have no idea why. I'll take it. It's quite noticeable.

My guess is that this is the resolution the monitor was designed for. I'm only using HDMI with that one. I think that's all it supports.

Members online