Solved Monitor stopped working (after changing rotation). `EDID has corrupt header`. How do I fix? (And how can I even get a file with a *non*-corrupt EDID?)

Solved issue

dwawlyn

Reaction score
Credits
So my monitor stopped working,
when I was messing around with the the rotation
(ie xrander -o [ normal, left, right, inverted ] stuff).

(
The monitor input is DVI (DVI-D Dual Link),
and the laptop's output port is HDMI,
so they're connected with an adapter.
)

All (I think) of the relevant dmesg output:
Code:
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023] EDID has corrupt header  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 7f 2f 3d 07 47 4e 5f 7b 3f  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  17 01 03 ff 3f 1f 7f 3f ff 1f bf 7f 4f 9b 27 13  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  70 7c bf ee ff 71 4f 81 00 97 00 ff 0f 9d 0f 01  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  01 01 01 01 01 30 2a 40 c8 60 84 67 30 18 5f 13  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  00 bb f9 10 00 00 1e 00 00 00 fd 00 38 4f 1e 71  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  0f 00 0e 3f 20 20 3f 20 3f 00 00 00 fc 00 7f 7f  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  7f 33 3f 3f 3f 0e 3f 3f 3f 3f 20 00 00 00 ff 00  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:45 2023]      [00] BAD  4f 77 4f 42 3f 3f 30 32 30 3f 0e 20 3f 01 b7 02  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:46 2023] EDID block 0 (tag 0x00) checksum is invalid, remainder is 190  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:46 2023] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID  
 [Tue Aug 22 03:18:46 2023] EDID has corrupt header

I did test it with a live-USB distro where the monitor was working before
(to make sure it wasn't just some messed up configuration in my kde plasma desktop environment or whatever),
but it doesn't work there either.

And after googling a bit,
it seems that apparently this is an actual known problem?
Like, the actual data in the EEPROM memory chip in a monitor itself can get corrupted while plugging the monitor in and out and stuff?
(Well, I'm personally pretty surprised and confused to learn that.)

---
But apparently that data,
the monitor just gives it to the computer,
so that the computer knows what different settings the monitor can do (in terms of resolution/refresh-rate/etc),
and then the computer uses it to decide what signal it sends to the monitor and how

-- but I'm not sure whether the monitor plays any further active role at that point,
or just "passively" displays whatever signal it receives from the computer...?
(
ie, I'm not sure
(assuming I can get a file with a non-corrupt EDID for the monitor)
whether:

- (1) I would need to actually write that data back onto the chip in the monitor somehow(?)

- (2) or if I could just tell the operating system like:
"I know the EDID data you're getting from the monitor is wrong, so use this file instead"

... ?
)

---
Also, I don't know how I can get a file with a non-corrupt EDID for the monitor?
Like, it's a "Samsung SyncMaster B2030",
and I was able to google up copies of EDID files for other monitors,
but not for this specific model...?

(I did find a .exe file for the Windows drivers (I think), so could I maybe extract the data from that somehow??)

Which Linux version are you running ?

Do you have Timeshift set up and running ?

... what? Did you accidentally respond to the wrong post? Cuz neither of those seem relevant to my problem, no?
Like, I'm on opensuse tumbleweed,
but since the problem persists even while using a live-USB of a different distro (MX-linux),
the distro obviously isn't relevant
-- but rather, it seems to be the monitor itself that has the problem.

So even though I have snapper on my opensuse install,
trying to restore a backup (of my system or home partition) wouldn't help anything.

... what? Did you accidentally respond to the wrong post? Cuz neither of those seem relevant to my problem, no?
I certainly did not reply to the wrong post.....I replied to the rather scrappy post which gave no indication of what particular OS is being used. So a well educated guess was in order...seeing the majority of members here run a ububtu based distro (linux mint etc etc ect) that was the manner in which I replied.

For your further edification, Timeshift is available for opensuse. You would do well to do some homework re Timeshift and its abilities. Had you snapshots from Timeshift in place , you would not be having this problem.

@camtaf
Thanks, but you mean like this, right?:
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1600x900

That doesn't work, because the monitor doesn't work...

When I plug the monitor in
-- even before I turn it on!
(
the buttons, including the power button, are weird flat touch-surface type things,
so I guess it's getting some power even when it's "off"??
) --
my entire xorg freezes up,
and I have to escape to another virtual tty to do anything (the ctrl-alt-F1 or whatever thing).

There's quite a bit of lag, too, since... something in the radeon drivers gets stuck??

---
Here's the dmesg output
(
the lines with "mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message)"
are just things I popped in with su root -c "echo 'whatever' > /dev/kmsg", to mark it to make it easier to read
[
EDIT:
Wait no, I should note I think it's better to pipe into sudo tee instead of using su root -c
(
I wrote me a fishshell function for it:
Code:
function mckmsg --description 'My Custom Kernel Message'
	echo (string join '' 'mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): ' "$argv") | sudo tee /dev/kmsg
end
)
]
|
dmesg output:
)
Code:
 [Thu Aug 24 02:44:57 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): about to plug in HDMI cable...
 [Thu Aug 24 02:45:35 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): (while on a tty)
 [Thu Aug 24 02:47:22 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): ... okay, now *this time* it works?? (external monitor shows copy of laptop display). Now, about to switch back to xorg...
 [Thu Aug 24 02:47:57 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:47:57 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:48:02 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:48:02 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:48:02 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing BB1E (len 816, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xBB56
 [Thu Aug 24 02:50:38 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): had to switch back to tty: laptop display showed everything-frozen-except-mouse-cursor-moving, external monitor was just black with error message... (and now it started *flashing*...)
 [Thu Aug 24 02:51:08 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): about to unplug HDMI cable
 [Thu Aug 24 02:51:57 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): just unplugged HDMI cable. about to switch back to xorg
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:07 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:07 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:12 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:12 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:17 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:17 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:17 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing BB1E (len 816, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xBB56
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:33 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:52:33 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:53:10 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): xorg still frozen-ish. will wait a bit for it to maybe unfreeze?
 [Thu Aug 24 02:53:29 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:53:29 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:22 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:22 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:36 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:36 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:43 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:43 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:48 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:55:48 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C520 (len 76, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC553
 [Thu Aug 24 02:56:34 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:56:34 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:56:39 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:56:39 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:56:44 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:56:44 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:56:44 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing BB1E (len 816, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xBB56
 [Thu Aug 24 02:57:37 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:57:37 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:57:42 2023] [drm:atom_op_jump [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 5secs aborting
 [Thu Aug 24 02:57:42 2023] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked [radeon]] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing C074 (len 205, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xC090
 [Thu Aug 24 02:59:04 2023] mckmsg(my_custom_kernel_message): ... okay, now xorg wont unfreeze. all the above was me jumping back and forth between xorg and the ttys, and then trying to re/un-plug the monitor while on xorg. nothing worked; gonna have to reboot

So yeah, everything froze up that time and I just had to reboot.

The "error message" I mentioned was like:
Code:
  Not Optimum Mode

Recommended Mode
    1600x900 60Hz

[     Digital     ]

---
@Condobloke

Wow, I'm sorry, it seems that I accidentally offended you? I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be insulting, it just genuinely seems not relevant to me? And thank you for taking the time to try to help anyway, but I have to admit that that all still seems not relevant?

-- that is, this is about data that is neither on my system partition nor my home partition.
The fact that the problem persists even while using a live-USB conclusively demonstrates that, right?

Last edited:

timeshift​

System restore utility

A system restore utility which takes snapshots of the system at regular intervals. These snapshots can be restored at a later date to undo system changes. Creates incremental snapshots using rsync or BTRFS snapshots using BTRFS tools.

• Version 22.11.2
  • Size 302 KB
  • openSUSE Tumbleweed
@dwawlyn ....apparently it is included in the opensuse repository, judging by the info at the link I posted.

Since this is what happened....

....that messing around obviously changed the system .....Timeshift will put the system back to its prior state for you.

@Condobloke
But the problem persists even while running the system of a live-USB
(where the monitor had worked before).

And every time you boot from a live-USB,
you get exactly the same system back into its prior state.

So since the monitor doesn't work on the live-USB system it used to work on,
that proves that restoring the system to its prior state does not fix this problem,
right?

Like I said, it seems that the EDID data stored on an EEPROM memory chip in the monitor itself is actually corrupt,
and I need to somehow fix that by finding a non-corrupt version of what the EDID data is supposed to be,
and somehow write that back to the memory chip in the monitor
(or somehow configure my system to use the EDID data from a file rather than from the monitor).

Maybe you've done some damage that can't be fixed...nothing to do with Linux...I'd buy a new one.

Maybe you've done some damage that can't be fixed...nothing to do with Linux...I'd buy a new one.

Well, maybe...
I definitely will be buying a new monitor soon anyway,
but that's no reason to just junk this one.

And the problem started while messing around with the rotation in the software (ie xrandr),
so that is arguably something to do with linux.

And I just found this:
so whether or not the problem was related to linux,
it sounds like it's quite likely possible to fix it with linux, eh?

The problem is, I don't quite understand enough of the details to attempt to implement that solution yet...

But the problem persists even while running the system of a live-USB
(where the monitor had worked before).
I just love people that ask for help, then pay absolute no attention to the advice given.
Timeshift (which @Condobloke suggested) has absolutely nothing to do with your live-usb.
It's a utility that allows to to go back to a previous date when things were working properly. If you didn't install and utilize it, then it's on you bro.
Wow, I'm sorry, it seems that I accidentally offended you?
It's no accident when you repeatedly ignore advice given.
Yes, I think he might even need a new laptop as well :)

@xlbooyahlx @Condobloke
I... huh? what? Are you... trolling or something? ... no, that would be bizarre -- I must just... not have been clear enough somehow...?

I'll try to restate it more clearly:

(1)
I do have snapper. That has the same backup/restore functionality as timeshift
(
Actually, it's maybe arguably a bit more flexible and powerful than timeshift?
-- I think the reason timeshift is more popular is just cuz it has a relatively good GUI,
whereas snapper is by default more of a command-line tool? Not sure. Anyway...
)
((
Although if I didn't already have a system backup/restore tool set up,
setting one up now wouldn't help me with this anyway...
))

(2)
I agree timeshift has absolutely nothing to do with the live-usb.
I'm just saying that booting to a live-usb system (on which the monitor used to work)
has functionally the same testing-value as using a system restore tool like timeshift
-- ie, they both restore the entire system to a prior state.
-- ie, the fact that the monitor no longer works even on the live-usb system proves that the problem is not with the system,
but rather with the monitor
(like I said and linked to, apparently it seems likely that the EDID data on the EEPROM memory chip inside the monitor itself is corrupted...)

Does that make sense now?

This is a stand-alone monitor, correct?

If so, start poking buttons on it. When you changed the orientation, it may have decided that's the orientation it should use and the only way to set it back to landscape is via the buttons on the device.

I suspect it doesn't have much in the way of long-term memory. So, draining the power might also reset the monitor to factory defaults (which would almost certainly be landscape mode).

...start poking buttons on it
And while poking menu buttons, look for a reset option, perhaps like that described in this video.

EDIT:
Monitors are able to be "hot-swapped" with the computer on, so I doubt you've caused permanent damage. If you can't reset the monitor, replace your DVI/HDMI cable and/or adapter. Or at least unplug and replug them. It might help to leave unplugged for awhile to allow any stored capacitor voltages to drain.

Last edited:
@KGIII Thanks! However, I already had it completely unplugged for several hours yesterday.
And in a similar vein,
I even found one person saying they once got problems from having the signal and power cables running together parallel
(ie, the power cable was "wirelessly" interfering with the signal cable due to bad shielding!)
so I made sure to get the cables completely separated.

It's specifically this monitor:
manual:
(
from page:
)

---
@atanere
Thanks. However, it seems that the menu button on my monitor is not bringing up the OSD. Maybe I need to plug it in to the computer for that to work?
(
... Bluh, I should really try that,
but I really don't want to risk freezing up my xorg and having to reboot again right now while I'm in the middle of doing a bunch of other stuff as well...

Plus, it seems that if I'm forced to do sudo shutdown now -r from a virtual tty, it causes my kde plasma session to not get saved and reloaded properly.
(I usually just use the plasma GUI's "restart" button, or qdbus-qt5 org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 1 1 0 which I think is what the restart button underlyingly does...)

... okay yeah, I'd bet that reset option is not actually the solution,
but I will make sure to try it as soon as I can.
)

... Bluh, I should really try that,
but I really don't want to risk freezing up my xorg and having to reboot again right now while I'm in the middle of doing a bunch of other stuff as well...

Just wait until it is convenient to do so. It's a forum, not a chat. So, we have patience.

I do have snapper.
can you browse or look through the files in the snapshots? i can't see why it would, but if you can browse does it store files from /sys? the reason i ask is that there may be edid info in /sys/class/drm/card*/edid. while i agree that reverting to a previous snapshot probably wouldn't help, that info might help with the repair process you linked to.

Just wait until it is convenient to do so. It's a forum, not a chat. So, we have patience.
ha ha, yeah, thanks. I just wanted to acknowledge that it's kinda goofy of me to basically go like
"Push a few buttons? Sure, I'll give that a try... EVENTUALLY."

But the thing is, I remain pretty sure that the problem/solution is most likely something like described here:
RepairEDID - Debian Wiki
and here:
Guide how to achieve better resolution with broken EDID. Two methods are used: xorg.conf config and kernel params.

But my problem is that I don't quite understand enough of the prerequisites I need to know to even try to implement those solutions
(
eg, the latter says

sudo get-edid -b XYZ | edid-decode
Where XYZ is digit specifying bus name e.g. 0,1....

but I don't understand how to find the digit that specifies the "bus name"...
)

So I decided to try asking here and stuuff,
but it seems like it's maybe super-specialized arcane knowledge that nobody here is much more likely than me to just know off-hand...

---
can you browse or look through the files in the snapshots? i can't see why it would, but if you can browse does it store files from /sys? the reason i ask is that there may be edid info in /sys/class/drm/card*/edid. while i agree that reverting to a previous snapshot probably wouldn't help, that info might help with the repair process you linked to.

Yes, I can generally browse though files in snapshots,
but /sys is a special directory that's part of the running system, right?
(Like /proc, /dev, and /run?)

So those are just empty dirs in the snapshots,
which get mounted separately
(I assume timeshift or whatever else has to do the same thing)...

[
If you're interested in the details, this is my /etc/fstab:
Code:
 # KEY:                  	<file system>    	<mount point>                   	<type>	<options>                               	<dump>	<pass>	
  # vv gut-dsd, sys      	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
   # vv non-btrfs        	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
    # vv                 	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	 LABEL=GE_ESP    	/boot/efi                       	vfat  	utf8                                    	0     	2     	
    # vv                 	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	 LABEL=ge_swap   	swap                            	swap  	defaults                                	0     	0     	
   # vv btrfs            	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
    # vv                 	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/                               	btrfs 	defaults                                	0     	0     	# < wait, what? ( ? not {subvol=@/} or {subvol=@} ? ) (fm yeah it's the sv{/@/.snapshots/[NUM]/snapshot})
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/var                            	btrfs 	subvol=/@/var                           	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/usr/local                      	btrfs 	subvol=/@/usr/local                     	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/srv                            	btrfs 	subvol=/@/srv                           	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/root                           	btrfs 	subvol=/@/root                          	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/opt                            	btrfs 	subvol=/@/opt                           	0     	0     	
    # vv                 	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi          	btrfs 	subvol=/@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi         	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/boot/grub2/i386-pc             	btrfs 	subvol=/@/boot/grub2/i386-pc            	0     	0     	
    # vv snapshots       	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	 LABEL=ge_sus    	/.snapshots                     	btrfs 	subvol=/@/.snapshots                    	0     	0     	# < 1of2 wait,
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# if this needs to be in the fstab,
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# then why don't i need to add anything
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# after doing cmd{snapper -c home create-config /home}
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# for pd{/home/.snapshots},
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# like...
    # vv home stuff      	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
     # v orig            	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	#LABEL=ge_sus    	/home                           	btrfs 	subvol=/@/home                          	0     	0     	
     # vv mine           	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
      # vv needed        	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	 LABEL=ge_homb   	/home                           	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb                           	0     	0     	# ? apparently equivalent?:
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# {subvol=/@home}
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# or
                         	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      		# {subvol=@home}
      # vv not-needed    	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/dwawlyn/.local/share/Trash	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/dwawlyn/.local/share/Trash	0     	0     	# < needed?
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/dwawlyn/.local/share/Steam	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/dwawlyn/.local/share/Steam	0     	0     	# < needed?
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/dwawlyn/Dropbox           	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/dwawlyn/Dropbox           	0     	0     	# < needed?
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/dwawlyn/.dropbox          	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/dwawlyn/.dropbox          	0     	0     	# < needed?
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/dwawlyn/.dropbox-dist     	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/dwawlyn/.dropbox-dist     	0     	0     	# < needed?
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/.snapshots                	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/.snapshots                	0     	0     	# < needed?? # < 2of2 ... like this? 
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/dwawlyn/ax                	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/dwawlyn/ax                	0     	0     	# < needed???
                         	#LABEL=ge_homb   	/home/dwawlyn/ax/.snapshots     	btrfs 	subvol=/@homb/dwawlyn/ax/.snapshots     	0     	0     	# < needed????
  # vv gut-dsd, other    	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
   # vv (treat like plug)	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	 LABEL=ge_gar    	/amp/ge/gar                     	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=ge_nix    	/amp/ge/nix                     	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	
  # vv plug-dsd          	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
   # vv LPC              	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	# ("cable")
                         	 LABEL=pc_slim   	/amp/pc/slim                    	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=pc_blue   	/amp/pc/blue                    	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	
                         	 LABEL=pc_gcxa   	/amp/pc/gcxa                    	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	#TODO{gcxa update}
   # vv LPCG             	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	# ("cable-gut")
                         	 LABEL=pcg_gcxa  	/amp/pcg/gcxa                   	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	#TODO{gcxa update}
                         	#ID=name-pcg_padd	/amp/pcg/padd                   	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	#TODO FIX
   # vv LPT              	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	# ("thumb")
    # vv LPTV            	                 	                                	      	                                        	      	      	
                         	#LABEL=PTV_ESP   	/amp/pt/v/ESP                   	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	
                         	#LABEL=ptv_vita  	/amp/pt/v/vita                  	auto  	nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show         	0     	0     	
 # EOFL
]

Huh, weird... ohhh, I think cuz I used markdown to write the post,
and usually this forum does a good job automatically converting markdown to bbccode,
but I guess when I copied the markdown in I didn't remove that "mouseover text" feature, and the forum didn't know how to handle that?

(I also keep forgetting the forum doesn't automatically convert --- to [hr])

[
Also, I noticed I totally flubbed this explanation:
Yes, I can generally browse though files in snapshots,
but /sys is a special directory that's part of the running system, right?
(Like /proc, /dev, and /run?)

So those are just empty dirs in the snapshots,
which get mounted separately
(I assume timeshift or whatever else has to do the same thing)...

(even though I was looking right at the fstab as I said it)

Obviously, the subvols it mounts separately are actually:
Code:
 /@/var
 /@/usr/local
 /@/srv
 /@/root
 /@/opt
 /@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi
 /@/boot/grub2/i386-pc
 /@/.snapshots

because those are the ones that by default you want snapper not to affect when you do a rollback.

So I don't actually really know the mechanism by which /{sys,proc,run,dev} end up as empty dirs in the snapshot...

And now that I think about it, I just checked the backup I have of another running system
(ie it just crashed and now I have the SSD it was running from just before that crash)
and /{sys,proc,run} are empty dirs,
but /dev is still fully populated...

Well, it's all system magic to me.
]

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts