Solved MOBO_HDD Cable Connection on Motherboard and GPU installation, Radeon card using NVIDIA Drivers

Solved issue
(Usually those are 4 pin). To go to the 6 pin adapter. Newer PC's with newer modular power supplies
don't need the adapter. They usually have the newer adapters.

I've never done it with a 3 pin power cord. Although I do see it's possible.

It's been a loooooooooooong time, since I've seen a video card with only a 6 port power input.
I do have one video card ( GeForce 2080RTX ) that has two 6 port inputs. But my Radeon has two 8 port inputs.

, so many of the higher GPU's needed an additional connection to give the card sufficient current this was often drawn direct from the HDD loop from the PSU

That's what I've got it plugged into. I'll look around more on YouTube. If that doesn't work I'll call the place I bought it.

(Usually those are 4 pin). To go to the 6 pin adapter. Newer PC's with newer modular power supplies
don't need the adapter. They usually have the newer adapters.

I've never done it with a 3 pin power cord. Although I do see it's possible.

It's been a loooooooooooong time, since I've seen a video card with only a 6 port power input.
I do have one video card ( GeForce 2080RTX ) that has two 6 port inputs. But my Radeon has two 8 port inputs.
Ah ah! Have the name of this thing will probably help me figure this out!!!

I just talked to the place where I bought the card. I put it together the the right way!

Now I'm scared. Not that I put anything together to the wrong way. I have so many problems with computers lately and I don't want to find out I still this problem too.

Replacing the GPU isn't a shot in the dark. I had a similar problem once before. Replacing the graphics card took care of it. But this time I don't BOS codes I can look up to figure out what the problem is.

I'm actually putting off turning on my PC to find out if this going to work. I don't know if I can handle one more problem right now.

... the best way to be sure you've got this right is to read the documentation that came with the card.

I bought this refurbished from a local dealer. It didn’t come with documentation. The online manual isnt clear.
I called the place I bought it from. They told me I have all the power stuff set up correctly.

The next problem I think I might run into and this could be a big one...

First, I can't boot into Windows 8.1. I know this can be a problem when there are issues with hardware.

Getting a new graphics card isn't a shot in the dark...

I had a similar problem with a different computer. I was using the integrated graphics on that PC. Installing a graphics card fixed the problem.

A few months ago, I was cleaning my PC and accidentally broke a capacitor on the GPU. Since then I've been using the integrated graphics. The integrated graphics is probably where the problem is.

My computer has nvidea drivers installed. As of now I'm not sure how much of a problem that could be. Some things can be change in BIOS. I haven't yet read that part throughly.

I can get into UEFI with no problems.

Or tell us the brand and model so that maybe we could help you

RX-560D4SFGR XFX AMD Radeon™ RX 560 4GB 14CU Single Fan

FAQ'S

Why do I only get a black screen at boot and no video signal to my monitor?
And
Do I have to uninstall my NVIDIA drivers if I'm replacing it with a new Radeon Graphics card?

You might also consider starting a new topic, if needed. The GPU is veering off from the HDD cable connections. Or maybe a more generic title, "motherboard connections," to cover both?

I thought of this. Will do it now.
Right now though, I desperately need ccoffee.I have to drive 22 miles into town to go to the grocery store because I'm out of cream.

When I get back, I'm going to do some more reading and/or call the dealer again.

Why do I only get a black screen at boot and no video signal to my monitor?
And
Do I have to uninstall my NVIDIA drivers if I'm replacing it with a new Radeon Graphics card?
Like I said, graphics cards are not my cup of tea.....however, having a nvidia driver floating around as well as needing a driver for an amd would have to be akin to mixing oil and water, I would imagine...

If you are able to get into uefi with no drama, I take that as a good sign....uefi would not depend on graphics (I dont think)

I almost cringed at the thought of booting up windows 8.....Is there any joy to be had from sticking a usb stick with linux on it....any linux will do.....and hit whatever key you have to hit on an asus to bring up the boot menu...select that usb.....and pray a bit harder ?

I would definitely get rid of anything nvidia if it can be done easily

Good news.
I just called the dealer. They said I should be able to see things even though the NVIDEA drivers are still installed. I'm waiting on a prescription to be filled. When I get home we'll see if surgery on the ASUS has been successful.

Like I said, graphics cards are not my cup of tea...

All of that was primarily to Atanare.
If you are able to get into uefi with no drama, I take that as a good sign....uefi would not depend on graphics (I dont think)
This is what happened when integrated graphics failed on my other PC. It's also why I'm betting on this being the problem right now.

I almost cringed at the thought of booting up windows 8.....Is there any joy to be had from sticking a usb stick with linux on it.

I have some files on the drive that I really need. Unfortunately I didn't get to back them up before this fiasco.
I would definitely get rid of anything nvidia if it can be done easily

That won't be a problem. I'll probably uninstall the Invidea drivers while I'm in Windows.

While I'm in Windows, I'm going to reinstall Linux onto to USB. I just don't feel good about using the one I still have. That's the one I was using when I tried to update installation files to the newest LM. I know some were written to the HD and some to the USB. I watched while it was happening.
I know there were issues with HDD's in both laptops, but I would feel better if I wipe the USB, reformat it and burn LM again.

And for good measure...

The USB I used with the updated files is the same one I used when there were other strange issues. That one was burned with Balena. That is also the one I used when I tried to install LM from the desk top. When I found my original USB, the one I burned a couple of years ago I didn't have extra issues. LM recognized issues with the other program you can use to reformat a drive, I think it was GParted.

So if the new GPU card works, I'm going to wipe and reformat then reformat that other USB and then burn LM using RUFUS. That's what I did a few years ago and that's the USB I didn't have extra issues.

Okay.
I'm home.
I got my coffee.
I got my ADHD meds filled.
I'm going to sit down, drink some coffee, play a little sudoku. Then get back to this...

Are you kidding me?

No I'm not...in 2013 I built my Tower but last year when my motherboard failed ( legacy) I was faced with UEFI...something I'm not familiar with.
So I went to a well known computer shop and gave them my SSD with Mint Cinnamon 21.1 on it...unfortunately they are a bunch of morons who claimed they can't boot to Linux because we only know windoze.
1710195775188.gif

No I'm not...in 2013 I built my Tower but last year when my motherboard failed ( legacy) I was faced with UEFI...something I'm not familiar with.
So I went to a well known computer shop and gave them my SSD with Mint Cinnamon 21.1 on it...unfortunately they are a bunch of morons who claimed they can't boot to Linux because we only know windoze. View attachment 18772
Okay. I'm not offeneded. I can't remember the last time I paid anyone to fix something for me. Seriously. I can't remember..

Oh wait. I did pay someone to replace the transmission in a car. But that was only because I didn't have an engine lift.

I'm just stubborn that way.

About to make another in just a second.

YAY !!

I'm copying all the files I need to a USB right now.
The Next, down load Rufus
I already have the LM os on my desk top
Burn Linux
Install Linux
I going to 1st install to the 500 GB drive.

After that, from the Linux desktop I will erase and format the 2 TB drive. Then install Linux on that drive.
Once I do that, there's no going back!

Files just finished copying to the USB.

Now to get Rufus.

May I recommend... tequila? :oops:o_O;):p:D:cool:
I'm allergic to alcohol! Trust me, the world is better off for everyone if I don't take you up on that. Besides, I never liked tequila anyway. I drank vodka or whiskey.

I'm copying all the files I need to a USB right now.
If those old files are important... critically important... I would really suggest you make a 2nd copy on a different drive. "Can't live without them" files deserve a 3rd backup copy on yet another different drive. That's how I see it, anyway. ;)

If it's not a huge amount of data, you might copy them back from your USB into your new Linux Mint Documents folder... and from there they could stay a part of your future backup strategy. And that makes 2 copies before you even begin with Timeshift, if you keep the USB copy too.

Staff online