Mint team is looking for beta Testers for new CDN delivery system.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
The Following was posted on the LM forum from Clem.
those here that use Mint may be interested.

Good find @kc1di

My Software sources now looks like the below...

1712613328540.png

yep I'm using it also. Working fast and well. :)

One day, the base will change as well.

I doubt it'll make much of a difference for me. I'll save the bandwidth for the rest of you!

Thank you !

I do appreciate a good CDN. Use of a CDN is why my Linux Tips site should load reasonably quickly anywhere on the globe. It means you're accessing a local cache of the site rather than visiting the site's actual server in NYC, USA.

It's an additional expense, but one that I think is worth it.

I can see justification for doing this for this application. This was previously dealt with by picking a mirror that was in your geographic region, or at least one that responded quickly. A CDN should automate that, though that much bandwidth through a CDN is going to be expensive. As they're a non-profit, maybe they're getting the service gratis.

Dave, thanks for sharing, but just a heads up that the title could be misleading.

It's not about Beta Testing a distro release, but rather about trying a CDN - Content Delivery Network , here a difference to the usual download (update) mirror servers.

That being said, I will give it a try on my tomorrow.

Cheers

Wiz

Dave, thanks for sharing, but just a heads up that the title could be misleading.

It's not about Beta Testing a distro release, but rather about trying a CDN - Content Delivery Network , here a difference to the usual download (update) mirror servers.

That being said, I will give it a try on my tomorrow.

Cheers

Wiz
Thanks Chris, Changed the tittle ;)
Also be aware if you have a local repository enabled you will have to change that to the original before making the changes in the blog. But since changing here yesterday it's been working great.

I tested it yesterday, both http and https mirror. Everything works fine.

Also be aware if you have a local repository enabled you will have to change that to the original before making the changes in the blog.

Just to qualify that, I have run experiments (stirring wizard's cauldron ;) )

Once you have changed to the default and used the commands to add fastly to your sources list, you can come back and choose a local mirror for the base (Ubuntu) component. Brian @Condobloke may be interested in this.

I conducted my tests on Linux Mint 21.1 'Vera', and I ran the time command each time for my updates. I then used Timeshift to restore to the previous and alter settings again, and run updates.

The times for my tests were as follows:

• 2m36s with both mirrors local Aussie
  • 2m29s with fastly for Mint and UK server (default) for base (Ubuntu)
  • 2m21s with fastly for Mint and a local Aussie server for base (Ubuntu)
So 7 seconds up to 15 seconds improvement, once you introduce the fastly CDN element. Not huge, but perhaps valuable, and it may well improve.

I also ran the same tests on a LInux Mint 20.0 'Ulyana' and that produced similar outcomes, so I expect we will find it works for all Minties from Ulyana to Virginia.

HTH

Wizard

I had similar response times here also but about a 10 sec improvement over all. In any event not earth shattering but an improvement.

Members online

Latest posts