Mint Linux issue with Steam Proton

rhainiac

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I am trying to play Dawn of war ii: retribution using Proton, and whenever I open it up it plays shows a black screen, with the game cursor, and plays the cutscene then goes to the menu while maintaining the black screen. It audibly makes the sounds of the cutscene, and has the blip blip menu sounds that a bunch of games have. I am still able to alt f4 out of it. I have tried a lot of the versions of proton available. If possible, I would like the solution to be multiplayer compatible, since my main reason for playing it at all is the multiplayer side of it. I have searched for this issue for a bit, and have not found any with the sounds still playing, instead just being a bunch of people who it just crashes for.
Thank you to anybody who can help with this.

I would check ProtonDB for tip and the github thread.
Also it looks like there is a version that runs natively, have you tried that?
The most recent(2 weeks ago) reply in the github issue someone says the following.
i would like to report that this game now runs without issues or fixes needed. thank you all for your hard work.

flatpak steam, proton version 8.0.1 and experimental.

Hiya, I've tried 8.0.1, and experimental, I don't know what flatpak is though.
Another of the fixes calls for me running this command
protontricks 56400 d3dx9
which always causes the error
File "/usr/bin/protontricks", line 33, in <module>
sys.exit(load_entry_point('protontricks==1.7.0', 'console_scripts', 'protontricks')())
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protontricks/cli/main.py", line 28, in cli
main(args)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protontricks/cli/util.py", line 143, in wrapper
return cli_func(self, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protontricks/cli/main.py", line 264, in main
proton_app = find_proton_app(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protontricks/steam.py", line 624, in find_proton_app
tool_app = find_steam_compat_tool_app(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protontricks/steam.py", line 537, in find_steam_compat_tool_app
tool_appid = get_tool_appid(compat_tool_name, appinfo_path)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protontricks/steam.py", line 418, in get_tool_appid
vdf_sections = get_appinfo_sections(appinfo_path)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protontricks/steam.py", line 385, in get_appinfo_sections
raise SyntaxError("Invalid file magic number")
SyntaxError: Invalid file magic number

Yet another of the fixes use the glorious egg roll proton thing, and to install it I need to extract the file into /.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/data/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/directory
which for me the folder com.valvesoftwar.Steam does not exist, and I searched compatabilitytools.d and couldn't find it.

Any help with these would be helpful.
And thank you so much for the first reply!

Yet another of the fixes use the glorious egg roll proton thing, and to install it I need to extract the file into /.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/data/Steam/compatibilitytools.d/directory
which for me the folder com.valvesoftwar.Steam does not exist, and I searched compatabilitytools.d and couldn't find it.
Don't try installing it manually but try installing the community version which is available as a Flatpak.
Proton-GE (community build) Latest Proton-GE version built on the Flatpak Freedesktop SDK

Welcome to the forums
to install flatpack to Mint see
then you can use the software manager to find and install packages

Don't try installing it manually but try installing the community version which is available as a Flatpak.
Code:
flatpak install valvesoftware.Steam.CompatibilityTool.Proton-GE
Restart Steam and then select it as default or specify it for the game you want. See if that version works better for your game when using the Steam client Flatpak.

I was unable to install flatpak through the guide, as this command
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak
made this
Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support jammy''

I then looked up this (error?) message and followed this guide which didn't fix it.
Open a terminal and use the command below to install the GPG key. wget -qO - https://download.sublimetext.com/sublimehq-pub.gpg | sudo apt-key add -

Out:

Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
OK

After that, create add the repository in your sources.list. echo "deb https://download.sublimetext.com/ apt/stable/" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sublime-text.list

Now refresh the package list and install Sublime Text. sudo apt update && sudo apt install sublime-text

I'm also getting a little bit confused at this point with all of the parts to this. Is it alright for someone to clearly display it in a step-by-step?

You don't need to install Flatpak from a ppa on Linux Mint because Linux Mint has Flatpak installed by default now days. Which Linux Mint version are you running?

Here it shows you already have the Steam client installed as a flatpak from how you describe it. Can you open a terminal and share the output of the following command?
Code:
flatpak list

Linux Mint 21.1

flatpak list outputs:
Flatseal com.github.tchx84.Flatseal 2.0.0 stable system
Bottles com.usebottles.bottles 51.5 stable system
Proton-GE (com… …CompatibilityTool.Proton-GE 7.55-1 stable system
Mesa …desktop.Platform.GL.default 23.0.2 22.08 system
Mesa (Extra) …desktop.Platform.GL.default 23.0.2 22.08-extra system
Mesa …sktop.Platform.GL32.default 22.3.5 22.08 system
ffmpeg-full …esktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full 22.08 system
openh264 …eedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.1.0 2.2.0 system
GNOME Applicat… org.gnome.Platform 43 system
GNOME Applicat… org.gnome.Platform 44 system
i386 ….gnome.Platform.Compat.i386 43 system
Mint-Y Gtk The… org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Mint-Y 3.22 system
Mint-Y-Aqua Gt… …g.gtk.Gtk3theme.Mint-Y-Aqua 3.22 system
Mint-Y-Purple … …gtk.Gtk3theme.Mint-Y-Purple 3.22 system
DXVK org.winehq.Wine.DLLs.dxvk 1.10.3 stable-22.08 system
Gecko org.winehq.Wine.gecko stable-22.08 system
Mono org.winehq.Wine.mono stable-22.08 system

Do you already have games installed under steam currently, if so it looks like you have the normal version of Steam installed? Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
dpkg --list | grep steam

I do have games installed through steam.
Here is the output:
ii steam:i386 1:1.0.0.74-1ubuntu2 i386 Valve's Steam digital software delivery system
ii steam-devices 1:1.0.0.74-1ubuntu2 all Device support for Steam-related hardware

Since you already have a game installed I'm assuming you were using this one and are confused about where you should place Flatpak ProtonGE verse normal Steam installation. Install the following by running.
Code:
flatpak install net.davidotek.pupgui2
At the top select the following location "~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d", the click "Add version". Then Select GEProton, then below that select the most recent version and finally click install. Wait for it to install until it is listed and then close ProtonUp.

Restart/Open your Steam client, go to your library, select the game, right click on it and select properties. Then go to Compatibility, put a check next to "Force the use of a speicific Steam Play compatibility tool", then below that select to ProtonGE version you just installed. Finally close that window and launch your game, now your game should be launched with ProtonGE. If this doesn't work we can try getting you to use the Flatpak version of Steam. Do you have other games installed?

I've done that, The GE-Proton-8.1, the same issue occurs.
I have a lot of installed games on steam, yeah

Is this the game?
I can just buy it and see if it runs correctly for me without the issues you are describing and then also test the multiplayer if it does run without issues.

Yeah it would probably be pretty helpful if you knew what the problem was directly instead of secondhand descriptions of it. I got it from this site for like $6, same link works for my friends and it also gets the other dawn of war 2 games, which both work well.
here's the link:

I bought it from another site where I sometimes buy steam keys for $6 dollars as well, I thought it might be easier for me to trying it out to see what happens before letting you try to run Steam a different way. It's installing now, will see what happens.

It seems like you are new to Steam on Linux/Mint. I understand your concerns with using Flatpak Steam as it is a closed system, but there are ways to make it run better. First, you can find Flatpak at https://flathub.org/ and set it up by following the instructions at https://flatpak.org/setup/. Once you have it set up, you can install Steam by opening the terminal and entering the command:

Code:
flatpak install flathub com.valvesoftware.Steam

However, I would recommend adding:

Code:
flatpak override --user --filesystem=/path/to/your/Steam/Library com.valvesoftware.Steam

where /path/to/your/Steam/Library is the folder where you want to save your games to. This will ensure that your games are saved in the correct location. You can also activate MangoHud as the default by entering:

Code:
flatpak override --user --env=MANGOHUD=1 com.valvesoftware.Steam

If you want to use Proton, I recommend installing the program called ProtonUp-Qt. This program allows you to choose which version of Proton or custom Wine you want to download, and it will put it in the correct place in Steam for you. You can find it at https://flathub.org/apps/net.davidotek.pupgui2.

If you encounter a black screen while playing games on Proton, it could be due to a high CPU thread count. You can try adding the following launch option in Steam:

Code:
WINE_CPU_TOPOLOGY=26:0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25 %command%

Alternatively, some users on Protondb have reported success with adding:

Code:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

hope this helps you get started with Steam on Linux/Mint. I have that game myself I could try it on my laptop but its Garuda Arch so it may not work the same.

It may be helpful to ask a few questions at Steam Support:

It may be helpful to ask a few questions at Steam Support:

Before reaching out to Steam support, I would recommend checking out their FAQ section at https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/5814-D9A3-BE42-62DF, which provides helpful information on common Linux gaming issues, including graphics card compatibility, missing dependencies, and troubleshooting tips for specific games.

In addition to the Steam support page, there are also many online forums and communities dedicated to Linux gaming where you can seek help and advice from other users who have experienced similar issues. One such community is the Linux Gaming subreddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/, which offers a wealth of information on Linux gaming news, reviews, and support.

If you do decide to contact Steam support, be sure to provide as much information as possible about your issue, including your system specs, the game you are having issues with, and any error messages you may have received. This will help Steam support to more quickly

Latest posts