Minimal BASH --- Grub --- error 17

Christina

Reaction score
Credits
I need help with an error 17. Can't boot. says Minimal BASH-like line editing........ grub>
When I type exit it tells me to reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. I can't even get a terminal....... and it doesn't ever show me os to boot......

Are you booting off the USB into the live image? It's basically the 'try linux' option.. then, while booted into the USB image install the repair software and run it.. then reboot and let it come up under your hard drive to see if it fixed it..

Rob

Are you booting off the USB into the live image? It's basically the 'try linux' option.. then, while booted into the USB image install the repair software and run it.. then reboot and let it come up under your hard drive to see if it fixed it..

Rob
It never gives me the option. Says Grub loading then error 17, never shows the usb

Maybe I am going about it wrong. I insert the usb then turn on computer and it just goes to that Minimal Bash screen

You may need to hit F10 or something to get into a bios boot menu and tell it to boot off the USB stick.
I have hit alllllll the f's lol
I just turned it on again and immediately it says:
GRUB Loading stage 1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait....
Error 17

What is the make/model of the computer - we can look up the appropriate F-key to be able to access the BIOS (or UEFI if it is a newer laptop).

Which is a point - Is there any chance that this might be a UEFI "secure boot" related problem?

What is the make/model of the computer - we can look up the appropriate F-key to be able to access the BIOS (or UEFI if it is a newer laptop).

Which is a point - Is there any chance that this might be a UEFI "secure boot" related problem?

I have an ASUS A53U Series and I am not very computer savvy so I don't know what UEFI is...... My son was the computer expert lol but I am learning.
I can't get grub> to take any commands..... tells me it can't find command for anything I type

I even tried these after grub> 1 at a time and it says syntax error and Incorrect command

$ linux (hd0,gpt2)/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic.efi.signed root=/dev/sda2
$ initrd (hd0,gpt2)/boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
$ boot

I am in the bios menu now, what do I do? UEFI Boot is disabled. It gives PXE ROM which is also disabled.
Then Boot Option Priorities #1 and #2 which are SlimtypeDVD or WDC WD3200BEKT
then a couple spaces under that it says:
Hard Drive BBS Priorities
CD/DVD Rom Drive BBS priorities
Delete Boot Option

Last edited:
Should UEFI be enabled? I don't see anything about "secure boot"

Also I do not dual boot. Ubuntu is the only thing on my laptop and most everything I see in forums are dual boot problem associated....

At the boot menu, choose to boot off the usb device - do you see that there? Or, try with a cd/dvd..

Tried, won't work with either and can only get to bios about half the time...... maybe the hard drive is simply bad.....

Tried, won't work with either and can only get to bios about half the time...... maybe the hard drive is simply bad.....

Hi Christina! Good to see you back on here again, but sorry to read the troubles you're having. I don't have a magic answer either, but the BIOS is not on your hard drive (it's a chip on the motherboard). So if you are really unable to access BIOS repeatedly, I am worried that you may have a more serious problem and a new hard drive is probably not the solution.

Are you sure it is not just your "timing" to hit the right key? It is a very short time that the computer will accept the BIOS interrupt (DEL, ESC, or whatever your trigger is). There is usually some text printed on the screen saying what key to hit, and you have to be very quick at just that moment.

I'd sure like to be sure you can access BIOS every time without fail. If not, we may be chasing a boot problem that we can't fix anyway.

Reactions: Rob
Hi Christina! Good to see you back on here again, but sorry to read the troubles you're having. I don't have a magic answer either, but the BIOS is not on your hard drive (it's a chip on the motherboard). So if you are really unable to access BIOS repeatedly, I am worried that you may have a more serious problem and a new hard drive is probably not the solution.

Are you sure it is not just your "timing" to hit the right key? It is a very short time that the computer will accept the BIOS interrupt (DEL, ESC, or whatever your trigger is). There is usually some text printed on the screen saying what key to hit, and you have to be very quick at just that moment.

I'd sure like to be sure you can access BIOS every time without fail. If not, we may be chasing a boot problem that we can't fix anyway.

Hmmmmm. Well the computer is about 7 years old but I put the hard drive that came with it in and it boots..... it's just that it has windows 7 on it and well..... the hard drive I have been using is also about 7 yrs old and my son had bought it for me to replace one that had died on another laptop..... To reach bios on this it tells me to hold the f2 key then start computer but it is only working part of the time..... Glad to see you are still here as you have helped me alot in the past.... Just what commands does grub> take?

You probably should not "hold" the F2 key... you only "tap it" once or twice when you see that screen. Holding down a key often gives a keyboard error. I really do want you to be able to access BIOS reliably... we may need to get in and out of there a few times (if it is working properly).

About the grub> commands... I'm curious where or how you got the commands you used up above in post #11. They could be close to being correct if you got the information from grub using the ls command. But if you just copied and pasted from a website somewhere then they could be all wrong too. Did you use ls at your grub> prompt?

Members online