Minimal BASH --- Grub --- error 17

I know there have been a couple kernel security updates out lately.. it might be a good idea to see if there's a new kernel available for your system and boot into that. However, that may have been what caused your issue again :) You should still be able to boot into an older kernel if that happens.

I know there have been a couple kernel security updates out lately.. it might be a good idea to see if there's a new kernel available for your system and boot into that. However, that may have been what caused your issue again :) You should still be able to boot into an older kernel if that happens.

Ok, how do I do that lol? My son was the computer whiz ;)

Back again lol Had a failed update and when I try to restart it goes nuts and ends with a kernel panic hahaha I can boot an older version which I am using now but want to make sure I update correctly to fix the boot problem. Said it could not boot, something about missing file I think.....

Hi Christina! Sorry to hear you've run into problems again. I guess I want to figure out exactly what your status is... when you say you can boot on an "older version"... do you mean you are choosing an older kernel from the GRUB menu on the computer that is acting up? Or are you booting to a DVD or USB of something older?

When you try to boot the updated kernel that is failing, can you identify what the missing file is? Any other errors that are reported before the kernel panic might help too if you see anything.

Since this thread is now getting into 5 pages, it might be a good idea also to gather your thoughts to answer these questions by opening a new thread for "Kernel panic" or some such title. I think the General Linux forum might be about the best place for this topic.

At least you're still booting... that's always a good sign! :D

Members online

Latest posts