Microsoft Patch Tuesday, February 2023 Edition

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Are you glad you don't have to wade through this bs ?

(ok relax...if you don't mind that's ok)

February 14, 2023

Microsoft is sending the world a whole bunch of love today, in the form of patches to plug dozens of security holes in its Windows operating systems and other software. This year’s special Valentine’s Day Patch Tuesday includes fixes for a whopping three different “zero-day” vulnerabilities that are already being used in active attacks.

Couldn't be gladder - glad that we have Linux (OK GNU/Linux)

Never had it happen I check for updates on a daily bases and when available I install them could be why I never have Windows update issues.
@Bartman is secretly running LinuxFX and not Windows.

I ran Windows Update this morning on three separate Windows 10 systems, both 32 and 64 bit. It took only a few minutes and succeeded brilliantly. In other words, nothing happened and the systems are up to date. Total time was about 1/4 cup of coffee. While I did that, I updated and upgraded all of my Linux systems as well.

I never encountered a Windows update that failed. I know it happens. Perhaps I have been lucky. My experience dates back to Windows 1.x. Back then, "updates" were version upgrade installations from floppies.

Applying security updates in a timely manner is important, whether Windows or Linux.

Applying security updates in a timely manner is important, whether Windows or Linux.
Yep agreed.

I've never had any problems with Windows 10 updates and have had very few issues with Windows 10 period.

A lot of Windows 10 users have problems with updates because they fail to keep their systems updated which will cause problems with future updates.

We often have more security updates in Linux than they get for Windows - but that's not a bad thing.

As mentioned before, that's an awesome thing.

Imagine how many more bugs Microsoft would fix if they had more eyes on the code?

Although they can be terribly misleading, check out typical statistics of "bugs per 1000 lines of code" in shipped software products. They can be scary without understanding or interpretation.

There are very costly methods to reduce bug rates considerably (think: NASA) but the diminishing returns for that level of engineering are not worth the cost for most software.

not worth the cost for most software.

Yup. If you want bug-free software you need something trivial or you need something really expensive.

LOL I wrote the earlier versions of the software my company used and it was horrible. I eventually hired competent people. In my version, I used all the things - including QBASIC. We didn't have things like free database software like MySQL, so my databases were plain text CSV files. They eventually re-wrote it all and I was then woefully inept at editing my own code. So, I didn't. I figured I hired people to do things I could not do, otherwise I'd have done it myself. I might as well listen to the people who know more than I do in that field.

Staff online