mbr-gpt switch is it better to 'convert' or start from a fresh reinstall?

sofasurfer

Reaction score
Credits
My system has mbr but my BIOS has a uefi option. I am considering switching since its just a matter of time before a new motherboard upgrade will require it. I have been reading about the conversion process and it looks pretty complex (for a first time try). I am wondering if it would be easier to just 1) back up my system, 2) switch my BIOS to uefi and do a fresh OS reinstall and 3) reload my backed up files? Or am I still so totally in the dark that I need more understanding about the process?

That'd be how I'd do it. Backup /home/<user> and then just restore that after the fresh install. Nothing in that directory should care if it's BiOS or UEFI, so it should go smoothly.

Converting one to the other is a complicated process. I'm not 100% sure that it's possible. A clean install and restoring ~/ is not so complicated.

I'll second the Clean Install approach

KGill wrote:
Converting one to the other is a complicated process.
One major issue in converting, is that the drive will need to be repartitioned to incorporate the EFI system partition which is a major difference in configuration from BIOS booting. Moving existing partitions with data in an mbr system to accommodate the new EFI partition may be possible, but it's a fiddly business with lots of risks. Choosing to go that route would benefit from good solid research, but personally, as mentioned, back-up and new install would be my choice.

One major issue in converting, is that the drive will need to be repartitioned to incorporate the EFI system partition which is a major difference in configuration from BIOS booting.

I'm not even sure that it's *reasonable* to attempt it. I know I'd not even begin to invest that kinda time.

Would it also work to do a clone and restore it to the uefi system?

No. Using a cloning solution (such as Clonezilla) involves a low-level block by block, sector by sector duplication process whereby when you clone your OS back it will contain exactly what was cloned.

That will fail to take into account the EFI system partitioning that @osprey has referred to, as well as any other vagaries.

So I "third" the convert to GPT, establish an ESP (EFI system partition, eg 512 MB FAT32, flagged as boot,esp) and clean install.

Wiz

That partition doesn't necessarily need to be on the drive you're booting from now though...
In your case, putting the efi partition on a separate drive would have a few advantages, like no need to touch your current system, convert or reset the partition table or reinstall the whole thing.
You can even fall back and boot directly from the "old" drive if your actions result in an unbootable system.

Last edited:
That partition doesn't necessarily need to be on the drive you're booting from now though...
In your case, putting the efi partition on a separate drive would have a few advantages, like no need to touch your current system, convert or reset the partition table or reinstall the whole thing.
You can even fall back and boot directly from the "old" drive if your actions result in an unbootable system.
Yes, it is so. Alas, one introduces another level of complexity if one uses another drive for the EFI system partition whether it be a usb or another hard drive of some description. The main thing for data protection is to back up, and the OP's original consideration to change to EFI in preparation for the future, so "fall back" probably isn't a viable option for the long term. The right tools and commands for a reinstall in EFI mode are pretty robust and reliable. For a good rundown on the EFI system, see: http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/

Thank for this vast trove of information.
In starting to prepare my mind for this new journey I started reading this site... https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/
O boy! What have I gotten myself into?
I guess to start I will use an drive dedicated to practicing UEIF installation.

Question 1) Does a hard drive (an unused one laying around the house) need to be uefi compatable or will any HHD or SSD work? If so, how do I know if it is compatable?

Question 2) I will used only the dedicated drive and switch my BIOS to UEFI and then when I use my current system again I simple need to switch the BIOS again. Is this OK, to switch back and forth from MBR to UEFI? I assume that this practice can not damage my system but only make it unusable if I forget to switch to the proper mode in BIOS.

I'll leave you guys alone now for a while while I absorb information as it comes in.
Thanks for all your help.

Question 1) Does a hard drive (an unused one laying around the house) need to be uefi compatable or will any HHD or SSD work? If so, how do I know if it is compatable?

Any drive will do - even old spinning platter drives.

I can't comfortably answer your second question - but I'd say it's perfectly okay. It'd be a pain in the butt, perhaps. But, that should be just fine.

Thank for this vast trove of information.
In starting to prepare my mind for this new journey I started reading this site... https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/
I guess to start I will use an drive dedicated to practicing UEIF installation.

Question 2) I will used only the dedicated drive and switch my BIOS to UEFI and then when I use my current system again I simple need to switch the BIOS again. Is this OK, to switch back and forth from MBR to UEFI? I assume that this practice can not damage my system but only make it unusable if I forget to switch to the proper mode in BIOS.

I'll leave you guys alone now for a while while I absorb information as it comes in.
Thanks for all your help.
On Question 2, that should work as long as the BIOS and UEFI modes match the disks which are configured for each booting system being used, with the non-matched disk disconnected. Using the appropriate selections and relevant commands is not likely to be damaging at all. If things gets mixed up, they likely won't run and settings will likely just need to be reset, and rematched.

The info is quite detailed, but you don't need to absorb it all. The basics are these: set the BIOS/UEFI to UEFI, and when installing with the install media, make sure that you are installing in UEFI mode.

There's a number of possible ways you might be able to determine UEFI mode, but it varies over motherboards and distributions.

In a simple case, in the case of a usb installation of a distribution, you might just be able to hit the button which will bring up the bootable options (usually a function key, but it may say on screen which key has the boot menu). From that menu, one of the items is likely to be something like "... usb ... efi" as opposed to just "... usb ...". In this case, to install in UEFI mode, you'd select the usb with the efi reference. Sometimes, the usb's are just referenced in such a list by their proprietary name, so you'd best note that.

If this simple case is not what happens, then you'll need to research a bit about how to install in UEFI on your particular hardware and chosen distro. Once installing, you will need to have an EFI system partition which is either created automatically or will need to be created on the disk. You must have that, and have it formatted in a "fat" filesystem, often "fat32". It needs to be at least 100MB, and 200MB is good too for a simple desktop.

Last edited:
Using the appropriate selections and relevant commands is not likely to be damaging at all.

In any BIOS/UEFI I've seen, they'll have to switch between them at boot time. So, to boot the Linux distro they'd have to switch to Legacy by entering the pre-boot setup screen to select it.

I could EASILY be mistaken. But, that's my recollection. Which is why I figure it'll be a pain in the butt. It's not backwards compatible - so you can't select EFI and call it good. It's gotta be changed each time they want to move to the other operating system.

I think...

Again, I could be completely wrong. LOL It won't be the first time!

KGill wrote:
In any BIOS/UEFI I've seen, they'll have to switch between them at boot time.
Yes, this is the case in my experience. I hope it was implied in my concise take ... it's BIOS for BIOS boot, and UEFI for UEFI boot. That works for separate disks with only the relevant one connected at the time. That's how I've done it successfully.

I think the OP wants to get to UEFI installation, so the "pain" may be brief and bearable if he needs to oscillate between installations, if that's what he does.

I think the OP wants to get to UEFI installation, so the "pain" may be brief and bearable if he needs to oscillate between installations, if that's what he does.

Yup. On a positive note, Linux handles UEFI just fine these days.

Members online

Latest posts