LSB specification support or updates

dhayes

Reaction score
Credits
Is there any support for The Linux Standard Base (LSB) currently? If not, what organization last did provide updates to that standard?

Thanks.

Interesting to note, that while there haven't been any real updates in the last 12 years or so, this is still
a package in most distro's, and it's still required for a LOT of packages. ( Citrix comes to mind ).

I don't know that any one distro "owned" it per se, but it seems it tended to be more Redhat/RPM based.

I don't know that any one distro "owned" it per se

This got me thinking, does any distro really own any part of Linux?
Well, the commercial ones like Redhat own certain applications and Binaries ( like ansible tower of example )
That you can only get if you pay for it.

But what about the Linux kernel itself... I don't think so. Unless you compile some non-standard stuff into it.
What about all the hundreds of gnu binaries? No, no single distro owns those either.

But what about the package managers? I suspect this is a little tricker.

Maybe Debian/Ubuntu own deb/apt ??

Maybe Redhat/Fedora own dnf/rpm ??

Maybe Suse owns yast/zypper?

Arch is pacman?

I suspect these are open source utilities, and they don't "own" it in the sense that they charge money for them,
but they own the development, and decisions made about how they are compiled.

They own the copyright in many instances. Yes, it is copyrighted material - with an OSS license that dictates the use. Violations of the GPL (for example) are copyright violations. The GPL is a form of copyright.

They are, in turn, owned by corporations. Don't scoff at the word immediately, as there are many types of corporations. The term just means that they're incorporated entities, often non-profit organizations.

The author technically owns the copyright. If I violate the GPL, you can't do anything. The copyright owner(s) have to take legal action. You have no standing. It was never your property, you were just given a license to use it (with various terms). Again, that is copyright.

So, it's a whole big mess. Trying to find all the copyright holders (since 1978, copyright is automatic, assumed at the moment of inception) would be impossible. I believe some projects have terms where you give an unlimited-use license to the project when you submit code to the project.

Which is to say, yes... Yes, there are owners.

By the way (US laws, but many other nations follow suit) you don't have to apply for a copyright anymore. That changed in 1978. But, if you register your copyright, you can sue for damages. Otherwise, you can only sue to make them stop using your property.

Below is just one example, specifically with GNU licenses... (CTRL + F for 'copyright' if you want to not read the whole thing.)

Members online