Logitech wireless mouse, keyboard

RayIN

Reaction score
Credits
My wireless Logitech keyboard works fine, mouse however will not pair/work. Suggestions_?

Just to clarify, when you say wireless are these Bluetooth? I ask because you used the word 'pair' which is usually a Bluetooth term.

(I don't have an answer, I'm hoping to make it easier for others who may have suggestions.)

Logitech provides a dongle to put in a USB port, the wireless keyboard and mouse pair with that dongle. The procedure is, insert dongle, turn on machine, then turn on mouse and they pair. The keyboard did as designed, the mouse will not be recognized when I attempt the procedure.
I have downloaded Solaar. It only displays my keyboard, no mouse(M510 model). I know the mouse is working, it works with my laptop running W10.

Again, I don't have an answer.

I do know that some computers have issues using two devices by the same USB port.

Could that be the issue here?

Again, I don't have an answer.

I do know that some computers have issues using two devices by the same USB port.

Could that be the issue here?
Nope, they both worked fine for years on the same computer running W10, it's only after switching OS this happened. The Logitech website is no help, even though they reference Linix OS and Logitech software.
The Logitech dongle will handle up to 5 devices.

The Logitech website is no help, even though they reference Linix OS and Logitech software.

Well, as I said, I don't have an answer. I've encountered lots of things, but this is a mystery to me.

But, I'd be patient. We all live in different time zones and people aren't here every day. So, there's a chance that someone has an idea.

Let's gather some information... With all that plugged in, you'll need to use your keyboard.

If you press CTRL + ALT + DEL the terminal should open by default, but not all distros adhere to that.

With that terminal now open, can you run the following command and then share the results, preferably wrapped in the code tag.

xinput

I'm using a logitech wireless (not bluetooth) keyboard and mouse combo where both items connect via the same usb dongle. I've used several identical keyboard mouse combos (on different PCs) at the same time in the same room for several years and they never seem to have any difficulties -EXCEPT- that when the batteries in the devices (it's most noticeable in the mice) start to run out, they start to act really flaky before simply failing to connect. Did your mouse act strangely before it quit working? Is it possible the battery in your mouse just happened to run low around the time you switched your OS?

I know it seems silly to even ask that but I've more than once come very close to throwing out a mouse only to realize the battery needs replaced.

Also to add to MikeRocor's post. which Distro is being used? Believe it or not that can make a difference. Some use xorg's usb/mouse drivers other use different ones so than may be the problem also. I use logitec mouse and keyboard here with Debian and no problems at all.

Ray, this is a longshot....In the Software Manager there is an app called Xserver-xorg-input-mouse

It may or may not help

If it doesn't solve the problem, please uninstall it. Just leave the install window open while you test the mouse.....if it does not work just click Uninstall on that same window.

Click on menu...type in Software manager....then search for... Xserver-xorg-input-mouse ...

@RayIN :-

Just out of curiosity, is this "Unifying" or the newer "Bolt"?

Unifying v Bolt?

@MikeRocor makes a good point. Many of today's ultra-low powered mice are designed to last for anything up to a year on a single AA battery with normal daily use.....even rechargeables will last several months. It's got so you can take for granted that a mouse will always power-on......and some folks have been known to forget their mouse even HAS a battery that needs replacing/recharging!

Mike. :confused:

Last edited:
It's the unifying type. New batteries in mouse. The same mouse still works with my laptop running W10.
Condobloke: nope, no success.
Guess I'm stuck with my HP USB mouse.
kc1, it's 21.1 Cinnamon.

It's the unifying type. New batteries in mouse. The same mouse still works with my laptop running W10.
Condobloke: nope, no success.
Guess I'm stuck with my HP USB mouse.
kc1, it's 21.1 Cinnamon.
Go to system settings, hardware, mouse & trackpad. choose the trackpad (may it's touchpad) tab and set it to disable when external mouse is connected. see if that make any difference.

Go to system settings, hardware, mouse & trackpad. choose the trackpad (may it's touchpad) tab and set it to disable when external mouse is connected. see if that make any difference.
Desktop HP p6-2350, no touchpad setting.
The began when I first installed Linux mint 19.1, no change when I installed 21.1. Logitech mouse still works when used with my laptop running W10.

2023-07-09_11-41.png

If you click on Touchpad....you should then see...

1688871833349.png

Click on the little arrow symbol at the end of the 'disable when mouse is attached to see the other choices

or you may see this...again, click on the little arrow and the end of the word Enabled' to see other choices
2023-07-09_13-06.png

Nope, Condobloke that had no effect. Apparently nothing will, I found this in the Logitech FAQ list:
"Your M510 is supported by:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Macintosh OS X 10.4 or above
The M510 is not supported on Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, UNIX or Linux operating systems"
So now I have 2 choices, keep using my hard-wire USB mouse or buy a compatible Logetich wireless mouse.
IMO the moderator can mark this thread solved."

Solaar does list my Logitech K350 wireless keyboard and it works as designed, but Solaar does not list my M510, nor does System Settings, now we know why.

@RayIN :-

I'm using an original MX Master, though certain utilities report it as an MX Master 2 (the Mk 2 was identical to the Mk 1, just with a higher DPI resolution). This is recognised perfectly by Solaar, which gives me almost as many settings options as the Windows software would.

I don't like the MX Master 3, the current top-of-the-range mouse. For my liking, the side-scroll wheel and the back/forward buttons are awkwardly positioned when compared to the older mouse. I've tried it out in-store on a demo machine, and I could see myself very quickly getting annoyed with it!

Logitech got the original MX Master more nearly perfect than they realised, I suspect. Despite that some folks rave about the Master 3 - for some people, newer MUST always be "better" (even when it's not) - I've seen plenty of reviews and forum posts by other folks who swear by their original MX Masters, and insist they'll hang onto them as long as they can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I picked mine up from Amazon at not much more than half its original RRP. For me, it was a good investment, considering how much use my mice get; this thing is comfortable to use for hours on end, and I don't get the 'cramping' that often affects me with many other mice.

Mike. ;)

Problem solved! I downloaded the Logitech Options+ on my Window 10 laptop because Linux is not supported.
The FAQ section told me the USB dongle required an update, which I accomplished.
Immediately the Logitech mouse began working on the same dongle with the keyboard.
Remove that dongle from the laptop and put back in my desktop and they both still worked.
I had bought a new Logitech M720 mouse and my keyboard would not work with that dongle, even though Logitech says each USB will "pair" with up to 6 devices.

Thank you to everyone! This is a great community.

Members online

Latest posts