Linux Newbie - Can't boot from USB

Hi all,

New to the forum and eager to learn. I've been trying to install Linux on a Thinkpad T510, but can't get passed the boot stage. I've tried using various versions of Linux, along with various USB installers and flash drives, but still no luck. Once I get to the installation menu and hit 'enter', my cpu simply reboots. I've searched for hours on the web trying to figure this out myself but I've been unable to make any progress. So I've decided to join this forum in a last ditch effort.

Any ideas? Do I need to update the bios? Please let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Thanks so much,
John
You should disable the UEFI boot mode and return to legacy mode in the boot settings. Only then it boots from the USB. Also put USB as HDD primary.

it may sound silly.. but you did burn the image you downloade to the pendrive as a bootable drive and not just copied it over.

Morning from DownUnder :)

Hate to disillusion the 2 Members above, but this question was asked over 12 months ago, and the OP has not been seen since 1 April 2020, so has likely either resolved the issue or gone back to Windows 10, as he flagged.

Enjoy your Linux, and welcome to linux.org @Frank Matthijs

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi all,

New to the forum and eager to learn. I've been trying to install Linux on a Thinkpad T510, but can't get passed the boot stage. I've tried using various versions of Linux, along with various USB installers and flash drives, but still no luck. Once I get to the installation menu and hit 'enter', my cpu simply reboots. I've searched for hours on the web trying to figure this out myself but I've been unable to make any progress. So I've decided to join this forum in a last ditch effort.

Any ideas? Do I need to update the bios? Please let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Thanks so much,
John
I have the same question

@LinuxFan0 ....START A NEW TOPIC PLEASE

This one dates back to 2021

Welcome to the forums,
first open the bios and make sure boot from USB is enabled,
once this is done the short boot key for Lenovo is usually F12, jiggle this key whilst switching on to open the short boot menu,
First read and follow this guide. An Ubuntu based distribution will normally be the easiest to install, BUT you will need to install drivers for your wi-fi and graphics card after installation, so you will need an ethernet or some other connection than WI-FI

Members online