Linux Mint 21.2 beta released

I use plank with Cinnamon and if I'm on a KDE destop use Latte-dock which is similar. In both cases I put them on the left of screen and set them to auto hide. Works for me. I leave the regular panel on always show. In order to change the setting on plank you have to crtl right click on an empty space on the panel the a dialogue will come up.

Cheers!
Actually you can ctrl+right click anywhere (even on icons) for the preferences menu. I just checked to be sure.
Would be real tough finding an empty spot on a full plank ;)

Last edited:
I'm very happy with plank on FXCE. I can only recommend it. Simplest way to to achieve icon + open windows merged. It's also lightweight.
Fix your signature, it's XFCE not "FXCE".

Erm... let me say something to try to be on topic. I hope some of you have much taller screens than mine to be able to use Plank or the "Panel #2" of XFCE. I can have only one panel because some applications I use are annoying having to use a vertical scrollbar or something like that to see all the settings.

Running on a Thinkpad T420 for a few days with no issues. Everything works and ram usage is low. More solid than Ubuntu 22.04 so this is a keeper.

More solid than Ubuntu 22.04
Very interesting you say that, @darry1966 .....I have thought the same for most of my time on Linux, that Ubuntu is the lesser of the two.
I know that seems a strange thing to say, given that Linux Mint is based on Ububtu.....but ubuntu appears to have more little/big dramas than Linux Mint. Just my 2 cents worth.

One of the things I found is unmounting my Samsung Tablet in Thunar takes 2 attempts before it unmounts where as Mint it works straight away - weird both are Jammy releases on that machine.

Ahem !!
2023-07-14_16-18.png

2023-07-14_16-28.png

Ta for the update, bro'

The.iso's probhably won't be released for another day or so

Iso's should be released as soon as all repositories are synced. It's a good solid release.

Last edited:
Hmm... Let's at least try to keep things Mint related. Thanks.

I just received an update....which updates the Update Manager in LM 21.1

That tells that the Upgrade availability via the update manager is close

Again, let's try keeping this thread on topic.

It may contain information important to those upgrading and weeding through a bunch of off-topic stuff isn't going to help them.

Thanks.

The below has just appeared in the systray....(near the clock) on LM 21.1

Follow the prompts to Upgrade

BE SURE to have a Timeshift snapshot taken recently...or a backup.

I advised recently that the Upgrade would come via the update manager...I was misinformed

The System Reports page is available either via the systray , or by Clicking on Menu, and then typing in System Reports to arrive at the screen shown below.

2023-07-18_06-09.png

LM 21.2 is Installed.

I had a hiccup on my first upgrade attempt

I have an instinct that the hiccup was possibly caused by a tiny glitch in the Internet connection...I am using the default Software Sources....I am in Australia. All things are possible.

The Updates simply said to me thta it had failed...please check the internet connection and try again

The second try went without drama or fanfare. Probably took around 3 - 4 minutes. required a reboot.

2023-07-18_06-45.png

Easy as pie.

The error presented when it failed was:
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
(Reading database ... 438406 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../base-files_21.2.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking base-files (21.2.0) over (21.1.1) ...
Setting up base-files (21.2.0) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/issue ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/issue.net ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/lsb-release ...
motd-news.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it.
dpkg: error: dpkg frontend lock was locked by another process with pid 13639
Note: removing the lock file is always wrong, and can end up damaging the
locked area and the entire system. See <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ>.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Processing triggers for cracklib-runtime (2.9.6-3.4build4) ...
Processing triggers for plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text (0.9.5+git20211018-1ubuntu3) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for mintsystem (8.5.5) ...
Processing triggers for install-info (6.8-4build1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140ubuntu13.2) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-76-generic

...all of which is behind me now....it updated successfully on the second run

Note:...Do Not Panic. Just follow the prompts. Do not be in too much of a hurry to click on next or apply....give it 10 seconds....it may well begin another download.

The below has just appeared in the systray....(near the clock) on LM 21.1

Follow the prompts to Upgrade

BE SURE to have a Timeshift snapshot taken recently...or a backup.

I advised recently that the Upgrade would come via the update manager...I was misinformed

The System Reports page is available either via the systray , or by Clicking on Menu, and then typing in System Reports to arrive at the screen shown below.

View attachment 16384
Thanks, I'll try this tonight.

Members online