Linux Mint 21.2 beta released

I wouldn't either...I never install anything beta...I'd wait a few months for any bugs to be fixed.
m1213.gif

Codename.....

Victoria

Release Notes: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_victoria_cinnamon.php

Linux Mint 21.2

Known Issues Remember....this a BETA version
There are approx 15 known Issues to help troubleshoot

There are approx 5 useful tips to read and remember

Anyone installing this version needs to READ the know issues....better still, print them out and keep them by your side.

The video for typing in nomodeset can be accessed at :

you may need to access this on a phone or another PC so you see clearly what you are doing.
Don't know what nomodeset is ?...read on

Solving freezes during the boot sequence

Some graphics cards don't work well with the open-source driver present in Linux Mint.

If Linux Mint freezes during boot time, use the "Compatibility Mode" boot option.

In this mode you should be able to boot Linux Mint and install it on your computer.

After the installation, reboot the computer and wait for the boot menu to appear.

NOW...read the full blurb in :; https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_victoria_cinnamon.php
The video there?:: https://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/rosa/nomodeset_grub.webm

So far this beta is working quite well here. No major glitches. Opera freezes but then it has on every version for the last 3 or four cycles. so I don't use it on Mint. I'm using the cinnamon DE and can't speak for the other DE's.

Mint seems to be stable as always. :)

Release Notes: https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_victoria_cinnamon.php

Linux Mint 21.2

Solving freezes during the boot sequence

Some graphics cards don't work well with the open-source driver present in Linux Mint.

If Linux Mint freezes during boot time, use the "Compatibility Mode" boot option.

In this mode you should be able to boot Linux Mint and install it on your computer.

After the installation, reboot the computer and wait for the boot menu to appear.

NOW...read the full blurb in :; https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_victoria_cinnamon.php
The video there?:: https://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/rosa/nomodeset_grub.webm
It's not just Victoria Beta. I had this problem in Vera just recently.

Compatibility mode didn't work.
Video guide let me boot into live USB and install OS. But after installing OS i had to boot via Recovery ( No other way worked regardles of CRUD command edits) and download propriatary driver for GPU via driver manager.

I wouldn't either...I never install anything beta...I'd wait a few months for any bugs to be fixed.
m1213.gif
Aren't those rolling release Linuxes something resembling never ending betas? LoL!

Apparently, the 'Traditional' panel layout will be done away with....leaving only the Modern

Traditional is a small panel and a traditional window list

Modern is a large panel with grouped windows and a small system tray

If you use the 'Modern' panel layout, just continue on....there will be no change

If you prefer the Traditional layout, then this is what you do:

1) right-click panel -> open applets
2) type “window” (just for convenience)
3) take out the “grouped window list” by clicking minus
4) add the “window list” by clicking plus
5) right-click panel – panel edit mode
6) rearrange applets as needed and switch off panel edit mode again
Done!
You can also add the “window quick list” for the really typical look.
I prefer this applet for the highlight colour! It makes it much easier to see what window is currently active.

Or you can learn to tweak the Modern layout

Apparently, the 'Traditional' panel layout will be done away with....leaving only the Modern

If you use the 'Modern' panel layout, just continue on....there will be no change

Done!
I prefer this applet for the highlight colour! It makes it much easier to see what window is currently active.

Or you can learn to tweak the Modern layout
What DE ? xfce as well ?

Last edited:
XFCE should remain close to the same. I believe he is talking about Cinnamon.

Yes, I am referring to Cinnamon.

The Panel Layout choice has been removed from the Welcome Screen....which means that the default layout will be the Modern.

Jut follow my instructions in post #8, above if yoiu want the traditional layout back.
Those instructions should also work in Mate and xfce if necessary

Another solution would be to install Plank

It is available in the repositories of Linux Mint

1688089926145.png

Last edited:

Done!

Or you can learn to tweak the Modern layo

I like the Traditional Layout and have used it for years...so thanks for that.
m1218.gif

I must remember that for Cinnamon 22.1.
m1215.gif

I've never used plank or docks either...lucky me.
m09003.gif

@wizardfromoz ....when you installed planks etc...did it sit on top of the existing panel, or did it require you to remove the panel?

Yes, and no, respectively.

I have my usual panel on autohide, and plank would sit visible (unless preferences changed), but if I moused to the bottom of the visible screen, my usual panel would become visible.

Here I have moved plank to the left, and will hold my mouse on the bottom while taking a snapshot of the whole screen.

1svmiV3.png

Since my #15 on, we are skating precariously close to Off Topic, so if the OP is OK with that, I'll leave it here, or else I can transport 15 on over to Noel's Plank thread (and just drop Bob's Lucky Me post in a bucket along the way - nyuk, nyuk, Bob)

I use plank with Cinnamon and if I'm on a KDE destop use Latte-dock which is similar. In both cases I put them on the left of screen and set them to auto hide. Works for me. I leave the regular panel on always show. In order to change the setting on plank you have to crtl right click on an empty space on the panel the a dialogue will come up.

Cheers!

Members online

Latest posts