Linux black screen then no signal

crumps

Reaction score
Credits
I recently Installed linux mint and it keeps booting into black screen then no signal, it works in compatibility mode but other than that I've tried looking stuff up and nothing is helping.

Which distro are you using?

Do you have an nVidia GPU?

Hmm...

Let's try adding 'nomodeset' to your GRUB configuration. I went and found directions that look clear.

Where it says Ubuntu or whatever else, don't worry about that. (And don't change those lines.) Just make the edit where it says to make the edit and see if that works. It's the same for Mint.

Hmm...

Let's try adding 'nomodeset' to your GRUB configuration. I went and found directions that look clear.

Where it says Ubuntu or whatever else, don't worry about that. (And don't change those lines.) Just make the edit where it says to make the edit and see if that works. It's the same for Mint.
It booted but now its saying something like divice descriptor error read/64 error -110? Idk if that means anything important

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that error?

If it's otherwise running normally, it may not be something to worry about.

Where are you seeing that error?

If it's otherwise running normally, it may not be something to worry about.
When I hit f10 it goes to a black screen then start saying that but after it's done it boots fine. Is nomodeset the fix?

If it's pre-boot and the system is running fine, you can just ignore it. Linux has errors sometimes but still runs just fine. Other OSes can also have errors and still run, they just hide it better.

If it's pre-boot and the system is running fine, you can just ignore it. Linux has errors sometimes but still runs just fine. Other OSes can also have errors and still run, they just hide it better.
So when I go to start linux put in no boot option and I'm good? Sorry if I'm being annoying just making sure I don't need to do anything before installing stuff. Also I try to change The refresh rate but it wont let me do you possibly know why?

Last edited:
So when I go to start linux put in no boot option and I'm good? Sorry if I'm being annoying just making sure I don't need to do anything before installing stuff. Also I try to change The refresh rate but it wont let me do you possibly know why?

If nomodeset works, run with it.

For the life of me, I can't recall it if is permanent or if you have to do it each time. You should be able to make sure it's a permanent change easily enough. (I've never needed to do this.)

And no, sorry... Does your hardware support it?
It worked on windows but idk about linux tried setting up my second monitor but i guess it's not picking it up and my main monitor it keeps saying unknown display could that be the reason I can't change anything?

I would install Mint Cinnamon 21.3...might make all the difference.
m1213.gif

It worked on windows but idk about linux tried setting up my second monitor but i guess it's not picking it up and my main monitor it keeps saying unknown display could that be the reason I can't change anything?

I've never encountered that problem before. Hopefully, someone else will know.

Staff online