Linux Applications

Emanate Presence

Reaction score
Credits
Been trying to research applications available on Linux but my iPad isn't scrolling well online.

Browsed the first of this article,

100 Best Applications for Ubuntu 2023,​

just got two screens then the ipad hangs up.

Can someone please tell me if there are Linux apps which work on Kubuntu for:

Text to voice
Screen recording to video

Thank you.

This site may be of help with the Screen recording. (Note: have not personally tried any)
and this one for text to speak.

Brave in Watt OS

Recently,
I sucessfully installed Brave in Watt OS 13

Commands as follows:

sudo apt install curl

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
install wget before install Opera in Watt OS version 13

$ sudo apt install wget

$ wget -qO- https://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -

$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb [arch=i386,amd64] https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free"

$ sudo apt update

$ sudo apt install opera-stable

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。

Out of the 10 screen-recorders in Dave's link above, there's 2 I use frequently.....and one occasionally. The occasional is Maarten Baert's SimpleScreenRecorder; this works best on the old Dell Latitude.

The other two? Vokoscreen.....which I use in certain situations. The other is recordMyDesktop.....one of the oldest in that list, yet despite it only outputting an Ogg container with Theora for video plus Vorbis for audio, is still happily accepted by Google for YT. And it's ridiculously simple to use.

One other long-standing favourite of mine is a wonderfully "quirky" item, probably the oldest Linux screen-recorder still extant.....XVidCap. I've uploaded an old instructional video made by the app's original developer, probably the best part of two decades ago.....found on the XVidCap site:-

XVidCap @ SourceForge

(Check out the quality of those GUIs.....you'll see what I mean about its age!) :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many reckon it's not possible to record audio with XVidCap, despite it having that ability. You can quite easily.......once you're aware of a small 'workaround'.

Unlike modern Linux, XVidCap was coded to use the older audio 'block' devices. But if your recording card is listed by the OS as

Code:
hw:2,0

.....just for the sake of demonstration - then in XVidCap's settings you would enter it as

Code:
/dev/audio2

It's as simple as that.....and now audio recording will work. Needless to say, via rebuilding it into an AppImage, I've 'portabilized' this for the Puppy community.....in which format it works really very well.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
OBS sudio is No.1, it should work on any distro.
I'm now aiming for Kubuntu (don't know if that makes a difference...). Can you give me any tips for installing OBS?

UPDATE: Found website and it looks GREAT! Thank you. Even has a LINUX download choice so no tips needed at this time. I will add to the list!

Yeah it does, OBS studio is multi-platform, however you should use your distro repository to install software.
All replies are appreciated. To be honest, the terms used sometimes read like Greek to me. I remember how it felt to see roadsigns on Crete!

Για να είμαι ειλικρινής, οι όροι που χρησιμοποιούνται μερικές φορές μου φαίνονται σαν ελληνικοί.

A lot more will make sense when I have the desktop in front of me and can learn by doing. Another week or so....

Meantime, what is distro repository? How is it used?

what is distro repository?
A repository is a safe store where a distribution builder will keep applications that are not loaded in the original build [alternative desktops, mail servers, extra non-free drivers and the like], each distributions' repository will be slightly different as to what they include, say like going into town to buy groceries, the range stocked by Supermecardo will be a bit different to Lidl.

Για να είμαι ειλικρινής, οι όροι που χρησιμοποιούνται μερικές φορές μου φαίνονται σαν ελληνικοί.
Na.. More like double Dutch to me.

A repository is a safe store where a distribution builder will keep applications that are not loaded in the original build [alternative desktops, mail servers, extra non-free drivers and the like], each distributions' repository will be slightly different as to what they include, say like going into town to buy groceries, the range stocked by Supermecardo will be a bit different to Lidl.
"Both Simple Screen Recorder and OBS are in Linux Mints' repository.
Being in their repository means that they have been tested and found to be safe to use."

How does one on Kubuntu access Linux Mints' repository?

Staff online