Lightest Linux distros, easy for noob, with virtual winOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those folks over there are using Pups and derivatives on a daily basis and you will fins ALL the Devs there.
I understand. But I repeat the specific question of the failing limine bootloader, if the path 'boot://2/easyos/vmlinuz' is correct?

There is only a boot vfat partition, flagged with boot and esp, and a ext4 partition with the easyos folder and vmlinuz in it. Shown as sdb1 and sdb2 respectively in EasyOS live.

Are paths in each linux distro in a different syntax? So that developers can answer only?

But I repeat the specific question of the failing limine bootloader, if the path 'boot://2/easyos/vmlinuz' is correct?
.......and I repeat my advice to go over there with this issue. It's Puppy specific.

Download Easy OS onto a computer.
Download Etcher onto a computer.
Plug in the USB flash drive.
Using Etcher create a bootable flash drive.

Plug the USB flash drive into the computer you want to install or use Easy OS on.
Restart the computer and from the boot menu whichever F-Key it is boot from the USB flash drive and follow the text installer.
When everything is completed restart the computer and from the boot menu whichever F-Key it is boot from the USB flash drive.
You should see an Easy OS menu if you followed the text installer correctly and see Easy OS displayed on monitor.

Plug the USB flash drive into the computer you want to install or use Easy OS on.
Restart the computer and from the boot menu whichever F-Key it is boot from the USB flash drive and follow the text installer.
When everything is completed restart the computer and from the boot menu whichever F-Key it is boot from the USB flash drive.
You should see an Easy OS menu if you followed the text installer correctly and see Easy OS displayed on monitor.
Actually, it's much Easier (pun intended)

Flash with Etcher or ANY OTHER USB writer and Easy IS installed!!!! Boot from USB and voila!

Easy as 1,2,3.

No more picking holes in any distro you come across @pamojja and dragging a thread for waaaaaay too long.

path 'boot://2/easyos/vmlinuz'
It's Puppy specific.
Really? A path to a file in linux is distro specific different?

In the installation instructions, etcher seems disadvised. But other USB tools are indeed mentioned. It' an option when I can't simply correct the path.

No more picking holes in any distro you come across @pamojja and dragging a thread for waaaaaay too long.

Then why you even read, if this thread is too long for you? I haven't seen a forum rule yet, that threads have to be limited in size. Nor that anyone has to contribute, if feeling aversion to.

I do see a benefit for others learning from it, should someone want something similar and run into difficulties too. It definitely will come to a successful conclusion, just not now yet. Let's respectfully agree to disagree.

Peace.

I just created a bootable working Easy OS as a frugal install on a USB flash drive using the method above.

Screenshot.png

Screenshot(1).png

The two upper boxes are the USB flash drive files that were created using Etcher.
The other lower box is Gparted showing the partitions on the USB flash drive created by Etcher.
This is how you install Easy OS to a USB flash drive as a frugal install.
In Barry K's how to he even suggests using Etcher to create the bootable USB flash drive.

Last edited:
Thanks. It looks the same for me after my copy/paste install according to instructions, seen from within the working EasyOS live. Only renamed the ext4 partition 'easyos', and in the limine.cfg with only a '2' as name of the partition, changed to that name.

In Barry K's how to he even suggests using Etcher to create the bootable USB flash drive.
He changed his suggestion:

If running Windows, you will need to install an app that writes an image file to a drive. This is not a CD/DVD burner app! -- though some apps might do both. Here are a few of them:

EDIT June 28, 2023:
We are no longer recommending Balena Etcher. Reasons given here.

@pamojja

Make your life easy by doing this

dd if='your easy downloaded'.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

replace sdX by sda if you want to install to the main hard drive, caution - it will wipe out everything on it - or sdb, sd whatever the USB drive you want to install.

regarding the login for crunchbangplusplus live: https://www.crunchbangplusplus.org/
Thanks. The most frugal seen until now: no visible menusk exept the usual small symbols of time, speaker, wifi, layout.. in the upper right corner, otherwise all just grey. The menu hides behind a right-click on the desktop.
Crunchbangplusplus would be the third live linux distro working with my hardware-setup (beside Mageia and EasyOS), after now about 70 tested. But obviously is intended for experienced linux users.

after now about 70 tested.
Keep going, you are bound to find more in the 500 or so available desktop Linux builds that may suit you, over the years I have tested probably around 200 or so [many now defunked] but now I am old and Miserable, I tend to stick to main line distributions

Crunchbangplusplus would be the third live linux distro working with my hardware-setup (beside Mageia and EasyOS), after now about 70 tested. But obviously is intended for experienced linux users.
since crunchbangplusplus (cbpp) is based on debian, that would seem to indicate that other debian-based distros could work if they had the right packages installed.

if you are referring to the desktop (cbpp uses openbox) being very minimal, you should be able to install a different desktop. the regular install used about 750 MB of ram after boot if i recall correctly. since i have heard it is lightweight, i installed the lxqt desktop following the instructions here: https://wiki.debian.org/LXQt

by running the command

sudo apt install task-lxqt-desktop

lxqt used about 850 MB (similar to mageia 8 with xfce) after boot and looked like this:
that isn't to say that you need to install lxqt over any other desktop. just to show that cbpp could look and function differently with some adjustments.

I repeat the specific question of the failing limine bootloader, if the path 'boot://2/easyos/vmlinuz' is correct?

Asked on Puppy forum. In case anyone runs in the same difficulty:
In your limine.cfg you have got
boot://easy2/easyos/vmlinuz

but it should be fslabel
KERNEL_PATH=fslabel://easy2/easyos/vmlinuz
MODULE_PATH=fslabel://easy2/easyos/initrd
Gladly, it does boot and work installed now just as well as in live mode. Interestingly, though, the Limine bootloader from within the EasyOS installation still doesn't recognize it.

Next I will try to install a graphical interface for QEMU, and see how I get virtualization working with it.

since crunchbangplusplus (cbpp) is based on debian, that would seem to indicate that other debian-based distros could work if they had the right packages installed.
Thanks, so there is at least one more option to try when EasyOS further on would fail again.

But I'm a little bid spoiled by easy now.. Does a usual linux distro installation - other than the copy and paste in seconds approach (if the paths in it would be corrected) - in average always take 4, with actualization of packages 8 hours?

But I'm a little bid spoiled by easy now.. Does a usual linux distro installation - other than the copy and paste in seconds approach (if the paths in it would be corrected) - in average always take 4, with actualization of packages 8 hours?
I can install the Linux distros I've used in 10 to 20 minutes depending on which it is.

I can install the Linux distros I've used in 10 to 20 minutes depending on which it is.
Is that by CLI magic?

Would that work for example for something as Mageia too, which took me through the graphical interface that much - a day - longer?

Is that by CLI magic?

Would that work for example for something as Mageia too, which took me through the graphical interface that much - a day - longer?
I use the oem default GUI that comes with the Linux distro.

What kind of internet do you have and what is the speed of your internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts