Lightest Linux distros, easy for noob, with virtual winOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is little point in thinking secure boot is disabled
Well, most live-linux distros first report white on a black screen at start-up: secure boot is disabled. And then don't work. My distrust of Linux now is rather out of experience with so many..

How about contacting Nipogi and asking them? >>> [email protected]

Something like:
I can't run Linux LiveCDs on my computer.

How do I do it please? Do I have to change something in the BIOS? What and how?

Thank you

i've not tried copying and pasting a partition as far as i can recall. did you check to see if the flags were the same on the pasted version? i'm not entirely sure that's all that would be needed to make it bootable, but could be worth a try
When the copying and pasting was completed - which took a whole hour for about 32GB of the exfat, the flags were gone. I added them manually but it didn't boot when this USB selected for boot.

How about contacting Nipogi and asking them? >>> [email protected]
Thanks, but's more complex what I wanted to:

With Ventoy live distros work perfectly well. Of course, some distros might not work with it. But it is the most convenient to just copy and paste new ISOs and make space by removing others again. Rufus or Unetbootin also have the limitation not working with some distros. But one also has to reformat each time one wants to try further distros.

Since my two installs with Magaia - the only till now working out box live - 2 installations on different USB drives, failed again. Each for a completely different reasons, therefore it seems what is seen in a live distro to work, might just fail as an installation again.

Therefore, I tried what seems now impossible: prepare my only and large USB3 stick with many partitions, so I can find one that installs well - and where the first experiment with live might not have given any indications for - as well as having Ventoy on the same stick, to test further live distros, and eventually try the install.

So probably should rather have asked Ventoy, if and how that would be possible.
Sadly, a second Mageia install fail. I realize when I want the Linux on the internal drive, I might have to do it there, to see how it actually turns out.

However, I'm not willing to sacrifice my perfectly running out of the box Windows11 partition for testing it there - totally capable out of the box for what I use a computer for, without signing up anything Microsoft for.

Additionally, the two Megaia installs on SD and USB took with actualization 8 hours, and 4 without. So maybe in average 12 hours for just 2 distros installation trials? - when repeatedly failing - is just too much wasted time I don't have, to proceed this way.

So now I completely drop my attempt to test installed Linuxes, but will try to run it only live, if possible with persisting settings.

I have 3 options:
  • continue with installing a bunch of lightweigt distros on a faster USB than I have, to see which really works installed with my humble setup - without wasting too much further time with a steep learning curve.
  • wait 1-2 years, until a natural language model interface becomes available for linux - und use the always working out of the box windows I now have. Don't have to use their online accounta and cloud for that. Easiest.
  • meanwhile keep the mini-PC - or buy something which allows to install google-free Lineage-OS, like Banana Pi, instead. Half the size of the mini-PC, still the same in specification. Therefore not with the limitation of my erstwhile Android, which can't handle my largest LibreCalc file. And providing for a system separate from battery, display or keys, likewise.

At least the first and third option are out for now, many installations for trying is impossible, and reading the instruction for installing LineageOS on a Banana Pi is clearly over my head, with very likely failure.

But while I wait for a Linux natural language interface, I will see how far I can get with Mageia live, and test further live distros from time to time.

@z7vl7abxc , since you tested Mageia: Didn't find an easy way to make its live settings in the control center stored between sessions. Is it possible and an easy way to?

edit: have found now system start settings for auto login, but didn't work.

Last edited:
that sounds like you are interested in a live disk with persistence. the fact that they provide instructions makes it seem possible, though i can't speak to how easy they might seem: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Persistent_live_systems

the first part appears to involve already having a mageia installation which i think you said you deleted because it didn't work right. some instructions for creating persistence from just the live environment: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Persistent_live_systems#Creating_persistence_using_only_Live_itself

the disclaimer there is that i don't know if Diskdrake will be any more successful or capable of changing the exfat partition on your ventoy usb so this may require a live usb that is dedicated solely to mageia.

Last edited:
i know you've tested a lot of different distros and may be getting frustrated with that process, but i just wanted to mention that there is a version 9 of Mageia that is in prerelase (or release candidate [rc]) status: https://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/prerelease/

this is on that page, but just to make clear:
This is a Release Candidate. Release Candidate software is software that has graduated Beta testing, and should be a release-ready product suitable for advanced users and reviewers. However, beginning users and critical-applications users may wish to wait for the final release planned for september 2023. Release Candidate is intended to identify any remaining bugs or missing packages.

part of the reason i mention it is that it has a newer kernel than either the mageia 8 live (5.10) or updated version (5.15). i am running the live version of mageia 9 rc1 now and that has a 6.4 kernel. i thought maybe if the live version worked then having the final release not to far away might be something to look forward to.

From distrowatch:
Robolinux is a user-friendly and intuitive operating system based on the latest long term support release of Ubuntu. One of the project's more interesting features is the availability of a pre-configured virtual machine support pack with Windows XP or Windows 7 - a VirtualBox setup which allows the user to install and run the Windows operating system seamlessly alongside Robolinux. This is an optional add-on that must be downloaded from the project's online store.

Is there anyone here with experience with RoboLinux?

just a quick look at a robolinux R12 xfce virtual machine shows it uses about 530 MB or ram after boot. it has a 5.15 kernel like the updated version of Mageia 8. it doesn't have libreoffice preinstalled. the only package i can find that is installable for VirtualBox comes straight from the ubuntu repository so that one doesn't appear to be a "pre-configured virtual machine support pack".

maybe that part refers to this quote from the project's about page: https://robolinux.org/about.html

our Robolinux Operating Systems that offer optional expert Tech Support along with Stealth VM, C Drive to VM and many innovative software applications available with the Robolinux R12+ annual subscription.

Last edited:
maybe that part refers to this quote from the project's about page: https://robolinux.org/about.html

It seems Robolinux Plus requires a 25,- fee, only comes as installation, and has much security on board, along with out-of-the box windows virtualization. According to this introduction video

For that task: which tiny linux is easy on beginners with intuitive use for browser, office, media and has OS virtualization already included?

What was shocking to me to hear about virtualization was, that to get any linux to such a degree of ease of use with windows virtualization would take a developer months of work.

If that is true, then Robolinux plus might actually be the only option for me - with its support - also to fix my pesky audio problem with many live distros.

Obviously, PeachOS, the only other with virtualization preinstalled, then wouldn't work out well for me.

Live it used 570 MB RAM idle, and 1,1 GB with my standard youtube.

i just wanted to mention that there is a version 9 of Mageia that is in prerelase (or release candidate [rc]) status:
part of the reason i mention it is that it has a newer kernel than either the mageia 8 live (5.10) or updated version (5.15).
It works just as good as Mageia 8 with Ventoy for me. 100MB higher usage of RAM than the older.

also to fix my pesky audio problem with many live distros.
This photograph of PakOS exemplifies my main problem with most distros.

IMG_0347.jpg

It speaks about difficulty of connecting with network in Pakistan, instructs to select wifi or ethernet, but in my trials only ethernet with most distros seems available.

that looks like what you would probably see if the kernel didn't have a driver for your wifi adapter or if it had trouble loading at boot. the quickest way i know to check is with

lspci -knn | grep -iA3 net

to see if you have a "Kernel driver in use" line. i think i recall there being trouble running some commands with the | character. you could run the command without it

lspci -knn

and just look for the section that describes your wifi adapter.

Duh, I'm so stupid. I choose this wlan stick because it would allegedly work with many linuxes. And didn't search any further, assuming it would either work, or simply not.

So many thanks for your patience.

There is actually a manual to install the stick's drivers, however, I can't see how that could be easily tested with many live distros. Since its installation needs rebooting: https://linux.brostrend.com/

Tip: Linux kernels (>= 6.2) include their own drivers for our AC1L/AC3L/AC5L adapters, so they work out of the box in recent distributions. But these drivers aren’t yet as mature as ours, so if you encounter any issues, use our installer to replace them.

I'm curious to know if you have a wired Ethernet connection.
If so are you connected when you're installing these Linux distros.
You may get better results if connected to the internet via a wired connection.

Never had wired Ethernet connection. I just downloaded the ISOs and copied on a Ventoy USB-stick. Made quick test in live mode, if everything works.

Installed from the live medium until now only Mageia 8, since it's the only Linux distro of many working out of the box in live mode with my setup.

However, twice installed, taking in total 12 hours, it failed twice as installs. Making me weary of any further installations trials. Unless for a good reason I can't see yet.

Never had wired Ethernet connection. I just downloaded the ISOs and copied on a Ventoy USB-stick. Made quick test in live mode, if everything works.

Installed from the live medium until now only Mageia 8, since it's the only Linux distro of many working out of the box in live mode with my setup.

However, twice installed, taking in total 12 hours, it failed twice as installs. Making me weary of any further installations trials. Unless for a good reason I can't see yet.
Do you install to said USB or internal drive?

I'll be honest and don't want to be rude but in all my years I haven't seen anyone having so much trouble to get any Linux distro started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts