Solved Laptop keeps freezing

Solved issue
I'd mark it solved, as we've at least found the problem and you have a workaround. You can also test it now and then to see if the problem has been fixed. You could try reporting a bug at Google, but good luck with that... It might be easier to try reporting it as a bug to one of the derivatives, like Opera. They're pretty receptive.
Well, today Firefox froze two times in a row, after a week without any troubles.
This is why I am not sure booting from text-mode is a good idea. It might look like there is no problem, but after a week it will randomly give some error and freeze. Or after a month, who knows.
I wonder if these freezes are caused by Windows, because I had Linux installed previously on this same laptop and there was something similar happening. It would freeze randomly and I would have to restart, but it was also somehow changing the bios settings - turning on safe boot and switching from AHCI to RST optane, which is not happening here.
I'm not sure whether these problems are related, but maybe?

Well, today Firefox froze two times in a row, after a week without any troubles.

Hmm... This is a bit of a nugget.

When you say that Firefox froze, do you mean just the browser or the entire system froze?

If it's just Firefox, that's a bit different than the whole system.

I'm not sure that I'd suggest text mode, given all that we know (don't know), but it's possibly a good idea. Normally, I'd suggest checking your logs to see if you can spot anything - but you're not going to sit there staring at log outputs for five days, and understandably so...

Man... I wonder if this is hardware related? Is it heating up and is the heat triggering something? Is it heating and expanding somewhere? I really have no idea.

If we can go by previous messages I take it that, "freeze" means a frozen GUI window where mouse and keyboard cannot activate anything.

Some thoughts on this frustrating issue: I would make sure I have the very latest of everything relevant to the graphics output installed, which amounts in the first instance to kernel, firmware and graphics driver.

This machine dual boots with MS.

Does freezing happen when using MS? In particular, the same browsers in MS?

If it does, then the issue tilts towards hardware, if not, then the issue tilts towards something in linux, most likely to do with the graphics card driver.

It may be useful to run a live disk of one or more distros to see if freezes occur. Perhaps a ubuntu live disk since that's the distro you're using, but it could be debian or fedora or something else. The iso files can be downloaded, written to usb by your current ubuntu installation. You can then reboot into the live system and use it as you would your normal system and see what happens. It's bound to be a bit less responsive, but that's not what you are looking for. If there are no freezes in that experience from running in the live distro, then one might consider re-installing the whole system. If there are freezes, then it seems like it's back to the perplexing issue of "where is this bug in this linux installation?".

If we can go by previous messages I take it that, "freeze" means a frozen GUI window where mouse and keyboard cannot activate anything.

Some thoughts on this frustrating issue: I would make sure I have the very latest of everything relevant to the graphics output installed, which amounts in the first instance to kernel, firmware and graphics driver.

This machine dual boots with MS.

Does freezing happen when using MS? In particular, the same browsers in MS?

If it does, then the issue tilts towards hardware, if not, then the issue tilts towards something in linux, most likely to do with the graphics card driver.

It may be useful to run a live disk of one or more distros to see if freezes occur. Perhaps a ubuntu live disk since that's the distro you're using, but it could be debian or fedora or something else. The iso files can be downloaded, written to usb by your current ubuntu installation. You can then reboot into the live system and use it as you would your normal system and see what happens. It's bound to be a bit less responsive, but that's not what you are looking for. If there are no freezes in that experience from running in the live distro, then one might consider re-installing the whole system. If there are freezes, then it seems like it's back to the perplexing issue of "where is this bug in this linux installation?".
Yes, the whole system 'freezes', I can't interact with anything except the turn-off button.
Very similar thing was occuring during the first time I installed Linux, so I think I will try installing another distro to see what happens with it.

Update: Installed Endeavour OS instead of Linux Mint and haven't had any freezes from that point on.
So I guess the problem was somehow related to Linux Mint.

Last edited:

Members online