KDE 6 is on the way

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
Developement of KDE/plasma 6 is comming along yesterday Fedora announced it will ship KDE6 in Fedora 40 with only Wayland support.
see here:
Those hoping to continue to use X11 display manager will have to look elsewhere than Fedora and in the future KDE.
Kubuntu already defaults to Wayland and I Believe KDE Neon will also. though you can still install x11 on those two Distros after installation.
Just a heads up if you use KDE.

Those hoping to continue to use X11 display manager will have to look elsewhere

I suspect X11 will eventually disappear in most distro's over the next year or two.

I can confirm that KDE-Neon installs with X11 Default but has wayland installed and it can be enable at the long in screen

Last edited:
I love kde, but it feels sluggish on my machine after i got Nvidia gpu. Gnome is a lot faster on current setup. :D

I'm in agreement that many (perhaps most, indeed) will move to Wayland. It has been a long time coming. There will likely be some who decide X11 is better and want to stick with what they know. A lot of tools will become obsolete, so it's going to be a bit of turmoil. I'm indifferent. I'll figure it out. I've played with it a bit already.

Also, it's good to see OP survived the storm.

yep, I've use Wayland off and on. there are some things I don't like about it but over all it's becoming pretty stable and useful.
X11 is on the way out I would guess.

I love kde, but it feels sluggish on my machine after i got Nvidia gpu. Gnome is a lot faster on current setup. :D
As a gnome (variant) only user, I was simply in disbelief as to how snappy it is after using Linux for the first time. Haven't looked back since.

KDE might be on the way up the responsiveness ladder, but I find it tacky and distasteful.

KDE might be on the way up the responsiveness ladder, but I find it tacky and distasteful.
To each their own. I feel the exact same way about gnome: find it annoying and distasteful. On the other hand, in Plasma I feel at home. :)

Members online

Latest posts