Solved Kate Word Count

Solved issue

rdfrkian

Reaction score
Credits
I've been doing some writing lately, and I'm using KATE to do the html.
Now the last time I used it, I thought it had natively supported a feature called WordCount, which would count the number of words in the document for you.
Is that no longer available or is there something I missed? (I think it used to be under View --> word count.)

Red

kubuntu 22.04
KATE 21.12.3

You can add a word count script

I don't know about Kate, but some simple text editors, like xed and gedit, have built-in word count features in a Tools category called "Documents Statistics."

Another simple way is using the Linux "word count" command: wc

I'm not sure how any of the editors or wc would classify html tags, like <h1>.... is that a word? That you want to count? Both of the above text editors report the same number of words for me on a test.html file, but the wc command reports fewer words. But whatever works for you... good luck!

Last edited:
Something like html2text <file_name>.html | wc -w might do the trick.

Interesting! Not only does that show fewer words... it also shows fewer lines on my small test file... using " | wc " without the " -w " option to see the full output, not just the word count. :oops:

Interesting! Not only does that show fewer words... it also shows fewer lines on my small test file... using " | wc " without the " -w " option to see the full output, not just the word count. :oops:

I didn't test it but fewer words makes sense - as may fewer lines, depending on the file you're using.

After all, <head> would likely be a line by itself. It really depends how you wrote it.

To do a "rough" comparison for word counts on a file using html2text, and a screen scrape of the text by accessing it in a browser, I used the file: /usr/share/synaptic/html/apa.html.

The screen scrape of the text of the .html file was pasted into the file: htmlword.txt, using the text editor vim. The the following commands were run:

Code:
[tom@min ~]$ wc -w htmlword.txt
507 htmlword
[tom@min ~]$ html2text /usr/share/synaptic/html/apa.html | wc -w
Close enough for jazz :) . YMMV.

thanks, y'all. I'm going to try to use the script first mentioned. I've never actually manually added a script to Kate before, so I've a learning curve lol..

As of now, I just display the page as an html page, copy the text and dump it into LibreWriter to get a word count.
That won't be practical for novels, but you know, works for now. thanks again. <3

Staff online

Latest posts