Java app in system tray

ParContre

Reaction score
Credits
I'm trying to put the icon for a java app into my system tray. The app is ThinkorSwim, which is the online trading platform for Charles Schwab/Ameritrade. Right now I have a functioning desktop icon that launches the app, and everything works fine. But I'd like to clean up my desktop and put the icon in my system tray. I have spent hours on this with no success. I'm obviously a novice on Linux, but for me using Linux is a political statement in opposition to big business and establishment monopolies. If I have to run a program to do this I can, but it really seems like there should be a simple and easy way to accomplish this.

Chances are that we're going to need to know your desktop environment.

I've seen instances where it's weirdly difficult to get a proper icon to show up, but that was back on LXDE.

I'm running a System76 laptop which I bought brand new last spring. Here's the info I think you want, please let me know what else is needed.
OS name: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
OS type: 64-bit
Gnome version: 42.9
Windowing System: X11

We in the Puppy community figured out a way of doing this for Puppy using YAD (a fork of Zenity).......I run a ton of apps/utilities from the notification area myself. However, since Puppy uses the ROX-Filer file-manager and the JWM window manager - a long-standing combo peculiar to Puppy - and since I don't know the first thing about System76 OR Pop_OS!, and have absolutely no time for GNOME - this information would not, unfortunately, be of much use to you.

It's a shame I can't help. I will, however, wish you luck in your attempt.....

Mike. ;)

Members online