Japanese Lightweight USB bootable ideas please!

Kanuk

Reaction score
Credits
I've posted this on reddit too, but this seems like a much more logical place, so sorry for the cut and paste.

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place, and that my previously iffy Linux knowledge is now totally rusty.
Here's the job.
I want to make a lightweight USB boot disk for my father-in-law, so I want it to be in Japanese. On both the Puppy and Mint sights, XFCE is not available (that I could see).
On Mint, I can download Cinammon or Mate. Are either of those lightweight enough to run on NEC Lavie LL550/T CPU:Celron-T1600 1.66GHz/メモリ:2GB / HDD:80GB ?

Or, am I better off downloading the English version of XFCE and changing the language settings on the USB stick... can I save settings, or will they have to be done every time?

Thank you, and again apologies for not even knowing where to start!

The good thing about booting a live os from a usb is that you can soon find out if it works.i've previously Mint cinnamon working and I got it to keep an install of software the next time I booted via persistence.have a look at Ventoy.net approach

I do not see any problem. Download Puppy Linux in Japanese language and enjoy Linux. :) Puppy Linux Japanese Puppy Linux is lightweight enough to run on NEC Lavie LL550/T CPU:Celron-T1600 1.66GHz/2GB/80GB.

Members online