It's out of control

The Plot thickens. So, I was able to update to kernel 6.2 which has some updates related to RDNA3. That's the good news. Below is the bad news which is what spilled out during the update.
: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu

. I'm not afraid to say I don't know and would refer to the community for some guidance on this one. Thanks.
Perhaps try the package: firmware-amd-graphics.

If you run the command:
Code:
apt-file list firmware-amd-graphics
it should be clear that some of what is printed as missing in the output of post #19, is present in that package.

Last edited:

Perhaps try the package: firmware-amd-graphics.

If you run the command:
Code:
apt-file list firmware-amd-graphics
it should be clear that some of what is printed as missing in the output of post #19, is present in that package.
Thank you. I am gonna cross reference it now and see what I find.

As far as I can tell, yes. However, OpenCL is a requirement for quite a few tools. There's gotta be something I'm missing because Kali wouldn't have all these tools installed requiring opencl if it couldn't function. The other question I have is why didn't hashcat detect the intel cpu graphics and benchmark that? That I can't figure out, even when I prompt it to select CPU as device.
I have no experience with the tools you are using so won't be much of a help there. It seems more like Kali is behind on software version for the stuff you are trying to do with the versions you actually need. I know Kali is supposed to be rolling but have you thought using something based on Arch like BlackArch, that way you will have access to the AUR as well and the linux-firmware package will be the most recent one available as well
It would be a lot easier to install opencl, as well as the rocm runtime and other things you need.

Last edited:
I would like to comment on the image in post #16. The image file is titled "spyware.png". It is an image of text that says:
WSL automatically gives file access to Windows files and Windows paths. This access is appended to your path by default, which could cause unexpected behavior for certain Linux applications compare to a traditional Linux environment.
I use VMware on Mac for virtual machines. VMware offers a feature that lets me share Mac folders (directories) with the guest operating systems.

Rather than view everything as intrusive spying on users, I saw it as Microsoft offering a similar convenience to users so they can access their Windows files from WSL. Making it the default may have been heavy handed, but keep in mind that Microsoft's customer base is Windows users, not Linux users. They want to make WSL convenient and easy for them, and giving them access to their Windows files while they use WSL is one way to do that.

(The rest of the post seems to be referring to how the large AI-based companies (e.g. ChatGPT) scraped the internet, gathering vast swathes of data without permission. They may have violated terms of use and individual privacy in the process. There are class action lawsuits over this issue, and Microsoft is one of the defendants . I have no opinion on this, but mention it for completeness.)

Ok, so I think I got it somewhat fixed. I was searching around for anything that could have been missing or helped and somehow created a new device (same actual device) with different software parameters. It's got a new version of OpenCL and let's just say it works. The attached is the readout from hashcat regarding devices. Device #3 was new after last night. The other attachment was a test run. The file had 20 sha1 hashed passwords in it. Hashcat made one run and got 14 of them. Look closely at the time it took. I originally thought "great, still not working." Oh...it's working alright.

I would like to comment on the image in post #16. The image file is titled "spyware.png". It is an image of text that says:

I use VMware on Mac for virtual machines. VMware offers a feature that lets me share Mac folders (directories) with the guest operating systems.

Rather than view everything as intrusive spying on users, I saw it as Microsoft offering a similar convenience to users so they can access their Windows files from WSL. Making it the default may have been heavy handed, but keep in mind that Microsoft's customer base is Windows users, not Linux users. They want to make WSL convenient and easy for them, and giving them access to their Windows files while they use WSL is one way to do that.

(The rest of the post seems to be referring to how the large AI-based companies (e.g. ChatGPT) scraped the internet, gathering vast swathes of data without permission. They may have violated terms of use and individual privacy in the process. There are class action lawsuits over this issue, and Microsoft is one of the defendants . I have no opinion on this, but mention it for completeness.)
I have an opinion but I'm new here and don't want to get kicked off this soon. Let's just say that I value privacy a great deal.

That's kind of complicated and involved sort of hacking the software to install in Kali. I went through the steps of installing the amdgpu-install and OpenCL through the AMD website. However, when you get to the point of actually installing it I get a message saying /etc/os-unsupported 'kali'. So, I did sudo nano with that file path, changed ubuntu to kali, ran it again, then changed it back to ubuntu and reboot. Problem solved. It thinks it installed it on a supported os and since it's Debian based it shouldn't know the difference. Kinda makes you wonder why there's only 3 supported distros on AMD's list.

That's kind of complicated and involved sort of hacking the software to install in Kali. I went through the steps of installing the amdgpu-install and OpenCL through the AMD website. However, when you get to the point of actually installing it I get a message saying /etc/os-unsupported 'kali'. So, I did sudo nano with that file path, changed ubuntu to kali, ran it again, then changed it back to ubuntu and reboot. Problem solved. It thinks it installed it on a supported os and since it's Debian based it shouldn't know the difference. Kinda makes you wonder why there's only 3 supported distros on AMD's list.
Who says hackers are bad?

Is it like tradition or one of those unwriten rules to list your build specs as part of your profile? I feel like I can't get into the cool kids club until I do. :rolleyes:

May I ask why you chose Kali?

I removed my other reply where you were replying to because I didn't think it was that important but thanks for sharing, that sounded something like I would have done if I had been able to actually test it.

I think it would probably require less hacking if you had used something like Black Arch as in seemed easier to install recent versions of the software you need there because of having access tot he AUR and being able to create PKGBUILDS of them.
I have no experience with the tools you are using so won't be much of a help there. It seems more like Kali is behind on software version for the stuff you are trying to do with the versions you actually need. I know Kali is supposed to be rolling but have you thought using something based on Arch like BlackArch, that way you will have access to the AUR as well and the linux-firmware package will be the most recent one available as well
It would be a lot easier to install opencl, as well as the rocm runtime and other things you need.

Last edited:
I removed my other reply where you were replying to because I didn't think it was that important but thanks for sharing, that sounded something like I would have done if I had been able to actually test it.

I think it would probably require less hacking if you had used something like Black Arch as in seemed easier to install recent versions of the software you need there because of having access tot he AUR and being able to create PKGBUILDS of them.
I'm sure there is a much better way of doing it and I actually intend on cleaning it all up and doing a more standard set up. But I was getting so fustrated at not being able to tun this loose I had to do something. Who knew it would only be for 1 whole second? I still can't believe that.

Btw, I updated my profile. Now I don't feel like such a noob.

I have been using Kali since 2013 when it was Backtrack. I'm a creature of habit. I did recently try to go with Debian 12 and put the Kali tools suite on it but it was just to cumbersome and awkward. I've been able to make my version a little more stable and get a few programs and apps on here that make it suitable for everyday use. I'm an old timer that doesn't dig change all that much. I did start by using Ubuntu, back when you actually had to write your own tools and do everything manually through things like Telnet and use netcat. Now it's just like any other OS, the apps just do different things.

I also still do some hacking but it's white hat these days. Mostly personal stuff for friends or references. I got this desktop hoping to be able to do some remote work from home since my schedule for my real job is a little crazy. I'm not risking my freedom anymore, not these days. They want to throw hackers in a hole and forget about them. Now I mostly just talk smack and troll on twitter. It's no 4 chan but it's somewhat entertaining.

My next challenge is figuring out why these monitors spaz out when I have all three hooked up. Using a laptop exclusively for so many years, I didn't realize just how much different configs could be.

I have been using Kali since 2013 when it was Backtrack. I'm a creature of habit. I did recently try to go with Debian 12 and put the Kali tools suite on it but it was just to cumbersome and awkward. I've been able to make my version a little more stable and get a few programs and apps on here that make it suitable for everyday use. I'm an old timer that doesn't dig change all that much. I did start by using Ubuntu, back when you actually had to write your own tools and do everything manually through things like Telnet and use netcat. Now it's just like any other OS, the apps just do different things.
All humans are creatures of habit, I think you should at least give Black Arch a try since it's a distribution focused on pen-testing as well with a lot of tools installed out of the box.

I also still do some hacking but it's white hat these days. Mostly personal stuff for friends or references. I got this desktop hoping to be able to do some remote work from home since my schedule for my real job is a little crazy. I'm not risking my freedom anymore, not these days. They want to throw hackers in a hole and forget about them. Now I mostly just talk smack and troll on twitter. It's no 4 chan but it's somewhat entertaining.
Can you shed some light on what "hacking" means now days and what it involves? The only hackers that seem to exist when I hear about them are White Hat hackers who use Kali and only use the tools Kali provides and maybe others available on the internet. In my opinion in that way anyone could learn to use Kali and the tools it provides? And then you have the people who just want to learn how to hack and learn to Kali but don't want to learn Linux because of the show Mr Robot but since it sounds like it's your job I'm genuinely interested about your views on hacking.

There are 8-10 pentesting distributions, THEY ALL USE THE SAME "TOOLS", the tools can also be added to most other distributions,
I believe Parrotsec uses the same 6.0.2 kernel as Parrot home

Can you shed some light on what "hacking" means now days and what it involves? The only hackers that seem to exist when I hear about them are White Hat hackers who use Kali and only use the tools Kali provides and maybe others available on the internet. In my opinion in that way anyone could learn to use Kali and the tools it provides? And then you have the people who just want to learn how to hack and learn to Kali but don't want to learn Linux because of the show Mr Robot but since it sounds like it's your job I'm genuinely interested about your views on hacking.
Most of what I see are just script kiddies as they say. 90% of these ransomware attacks are initialized through someone opening a email or text and clicking the wrong link. Then most what happens is more or less automated. These guys are examing code, doing network scans, testing for vulnerabilities, they're basically con-men. Ordinary theives. CLOP apparently discovered an SQL flaw in the MOVEit file transfer code, but that was almost certainly the result of an automated scan like sqlmap where it does eveything for you. If someone asks me to test their system, the first thing I try is seeing if I can bypass the user interface and access the backend without using anything other than a browser and what ever knowledge I have of things like SQL or a simple python script. Then I'll use maybe ssh to see if I can inject a malicious packet and activate their AV. Alot depends on what kind of system your looking at, how many users, is there an smtp connection to worry about, is it web based or an internal network. Remember, networks include ALL communication devices so if they have cell phones those can be a point of access along with any wifi. The weakest point of any network is going to be the people, everytime. Someone who wants access for ill intent will spend weeks studying the eveyday routines of anyone they can identify. It's common for a team to spend weeks on end doing recon and it will all come down to a couple hours of a series of steps that determine if they get in or not. Getting past AV means obfuscating your payloads, disguising your signature, establishing persistance. I can tell you this. 10 years ago it was much easier to gain access and keep it. If I told you that there was a breech on multiple federal agencies that had persistance on multiple networks for nearly month back in 2013 would you believe it? I doubt seriously it would happen today or even could, but back then.....Kali isn't anything special. It's a Debian based linux OS that has pen-test tools instead of office tools. It has been made into something it's not because of a particular television show. You can load anything from the debian repository onto kali. The only thing that really makes it unstable is that alot of the tools aren't tested and you'll find syntax errors or have been misconfigured. There's also some network functions that have to be configured not to use the OS but to perform certain functions. Keep in mind, there's a new distro coming out soon I think called Viper linux. That is from a youtuber called hackersploit. He and his employees built if from scratch. They just took a stripped down Debian 11 and installed the tools they needed and knew functioned well and rebranded it. Backtrack used to be Knoppix based, now it's Debian. Kali isn't anymore difficult or unstable than any other rolling distro in my book. That being said, it's virtually useless for anything other than pen testing or hacking unless you spend a bunch of time loading different software. I find it interesting that nobody evey says Parott or Black Arch or Blackbuntu are "advanced" linux distros or have the same reaction when someone says they use Kali. My thought is, it's none of my business what distro you use and why. If someone has a question and needs help we should help them without judging them. None of were born knowing linux, we all had a learning curve. And to say Kali is more "advanced" than ubuntu or straight debian I'd say in what way? The tools, sure. Network config, yeah, depending on your knowledge. But as far as using it in regards to Linux and package managers and the basic OS functions? No. If we want people to come to the linux communitiy and stay we have to do better at not demeaning them or criticizing their choice of distro, that to me is none of my concern. We used to have a motto that we used (which that idiot Marc Zuckerberg stole) which was "move fast and break stuff." Because then you know what works and what doesn't and you learn alot putting stuff back together. And if I can keep some of these young people who are interested in hacking from making the same bad choices I did, then I will. I hope that answers your question and gives you some perspective on where I stand.

Members online

Latest posts