It's out of control

ghostanon

Reaction score
Credits
I recently purchased a new machine and was pretty stoked about getting it. The builders of course had to use windows to test it and set everything up but I wasn't concerned. It was loaded on a cheap NVme that I just tossed. However, one of the specs for this was an AMD rx7900xtx, and I'm sure it's great but apparently I'm gonna need a programming engineer, software developer and someone who specializes in hardware just to get it going. Really? Linux can't do any better. I hate windows too, it's nothing but spyware and data harvesting software, but you can put a new anything into their machine download the drivers and firmware automatically and it's off and running. I've been trying to find out which combination of software I need, nevermind the rubicks cube of instructions it takes to actually implement it. It's gotten way out of control. Nobody has any definitive answers because there isn't any. Mesa, Vulkan, OpenCL, ROCm, amdgpu pro, so on and so on. And those are just the main ones. Nevermind all the other small pograms and dependencies you'll end up needing later.

So I'm done trying. I am looking for someone who has actually got one of these to work on a debian based system. I use Kali and before anyone starts in, I've been using it since Backtrack was brand new. Yeah, I'm that old. It's just familiar and despite all the critics, it's nothing more than a Debian based distro with stuff I actually use. I had actually got Debian 12 loaded and going to integrate the Kali tool suite and more or less make my own but that doesn't really work. Kali just takes over and Debian 12 made it cumbersome so I switched back. I will offer remote access and will obviously pay you for your time and skills. I will ask around the board before granting access but If anyone can or knows someone who can do this I'd appreciate some assistance. The primary requiement is that the current version of OpenCL be fully functioning. There's a couple programs that require it. Also, this isn't used for gaming, it's for data processing so as far as the visual output, it just needs to be functional.

Sorry about the other post. I read that a couple times already.n
At this point I've read so much and tried so many different things without success that I'm just done with it. Sometimes you have to know when you're defeated and call in the experts.

Looks like on Arch Linux you need a bunch of updated packages for mesa and dependencies, as mentioned here. The firmware for that gpu just landed in linux-firmware.git around the end of December 2022, in short you will need the following: "Linux 6.0+ and Mesa 22.2+ (or ideally Mesa 22.3 if not comfortable using Mesa Git"

It looks like this person got it t work on Bookworm.

Nvidia graphics card for computing sound easier at this point because Nvidia provides the drivers and the needed firmware AFAIK, at my work they all use Nvidia Tesla's for computing. You haven't actually shared how far you have gotten, what works and what doesn't?

Last edited:
So far I haven't been able to get a complete package put together without something broken or missing. The top line shows the missing dependecy.

To your point, I'm never buying AMD again. That being said, I think I found at least part of the problem. It seems this file is somehow missing gfx1100-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc and do you think I could find that to download and add the missing dependencay? Not a chance in hell.

Attachments

• gpu-ls.png
    gpu-ls.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 123
That's what I just had built. Believe it or not this is my first desktop. The things on there that I had changed were the GPU obviously and I upgraded to 64G of DDR5. And of course the operating system. FYI, I don't do any gaming so if it seems like an odd build in that regards that's why.

By the way, these guys who built it, clx gaming. They are awesome. I made 3 changes mid build and they handled it like it happens everyday. There customer service is top notch and there's a lifetime warranty on the build labor. And they didn't void any warranties by switching to Linux, most other places said it would.

Attachments

• clxbuild.png
    clxbuild.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 99
So far I haven't been able to get a complete package put together without something broken or missing. The top line shows the missing dependecy.

That being said, I think I found at least part of the problem. It seems this file is somehow missing gfx1100-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc and do you think I could find that to download and add the missing dependencay? Not a chance in hell.
Since you have output on your display the card is working and from the output in the screenshot your shared it shows the correct device, as well as using the correct opensource amdgpu driver. The only thing in red I see at the top is "Vender: AMD", that doesn't answer the question what isn't working correctly since everything else points to the card working properly because you have output, correct firmware is loaded or else your graphic environment wouldn't load and you have the correct opensource driver loaded? Last time I had an AMD card that's all I needed for it to work properly?

When I do a search on gfx1100-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc it seems it has to do with opencl, so I'm guessing the only problem you are having is that opencl doesn't work but for the rest the card works correctly am I understanding you correctly so far?

Over the last 20 years, I have always found AMD/ATI has far better support than Nvidia,
I don't do any gaming so if it seems like an odd build
it's not an odd build, just a very cutting edge gaming machine, and well over the top for general everyday computing.
You probably have 2 graphic out puts one on the motherboard [this will use the AMD on board graphics], and one on the back of your Nvidia card, if you are using the onboard graphics make sure you connect the screen to the motherboard output
as @f33dm3bits has said it looks to be working OK. if you're having specific problems when using it, please list them, and one of our members may chip in with more suggestions.

I found an article where someone describes how to get opencl working on Debian using the Debian drivers, however the rocm part doesn't work. The only I can find to install rocm runtime is by using the rocm github project.

After you have the rocm runtime installed it seems like all you have to do is run "amdgpu-install --no-dkms --usecase=opencl" but I tried that and it doesn't seem to support Kali
Code:
$  sudo amdgpu-install --no-dkms --usecase=opencl

Unsupported OS: /etc/os-release ID 'kali'

Of course, we have failed to mention the obvious, If you want to run/learn Linux, then until dedicated drivers are made available,
you could always run your chosen Linux using WSL [Windows subsystem for Linux] or by using a VM. In both instances, wind 11 will control your onboard components

So here's a shot from when I try to bench mark in hashcat. What I can't figure out is which device they're referring to as Device #1 and why can't they detect the other device. I will put together the output from clinfo and post it but its kinda long so bear with me.

Brickwizard you peaked my interest with the WSL info. I gotta be honest and say I really know nothing about it. I've never used anything but a laptop until now and my setup was..let's say...unique. I've been on this distro since they moved from knoppix to debian. I've used windows obviously but never looked into integrating them, seems like blasphemy, lol. But I'm definitely interested in finding out more.

Attachments

• hashcat.png
    hashcat.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 117
There's the complete output from clinfo. So the two main issues seem to be the missing file and either outdated or misconfigured OpenCL?

Attachments

• clinfo1.png
    clinfo1.png
    345.7 KB · Views: 124
  • clinfo2.png
    clinfo2.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 104
  • clinfo3.png
    clinfo3.png
    143 KB · Views: 104
  • clinfo4.png
    clinfo4.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 110
  • clinfo5.png
    clinfo5.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 96
  • clinfo6.png
    clinfo6.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 98
  • clinfo7.png
    clinfo7.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 97
  • clinfo8.png
    clinfo8.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 114
So you're running a Linux distro inside a windows OS installed on bare metal? I use virtual box for windows but it makes sense because in your situation the hardware settings are done through windows. So how intrusive is windows while you're using linux? Are you able to disable the telemetry and still use it? Do you get the windows pop ups while in Linux? It is essentially using windows as your device manager while using linux or is that over simplifying it?

I was really interested until I got here (see attached). Windows just can't stay out of people's business no matter how hard they try. They have to give themselves permission because they know if they asked people would say no. Just look what they're doing with openAI. They were caught misusing data given to them related to tor and onion based web searches. I'll continue looking into this to see if there's a way to use it without having my data harvested by windows. Windows was tough but have you ever tied de-googling yourself? I feel like I'll be living in exile by the time I'm done. Which is no doubt by design.

Attachments

• spyware.png
    spyware.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 111
Since you have output on your display the card is working and from the output in the screenshot your shared it shows the correct device, as well as using the correct opensource amdgpu driver. The only thing in red I see at the top is "Vender: AMD", that doesn't answer the question what isn't working correctly since everything else points to the card working properly because you have output, correct firmware is loaded or else your graphic environment wouldn't load and you have the correct opensource driver loaded? Last time I had an AMD card that's all I needed for it to work properly?

When I do a search on gfx1100-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc it seems it has to do with opencl, so I'm guessing the only problem you are having is that opencl doesn't work but for the rest the card works correctly am I understanding you correctly so far?
As far as I can tell, yes. However, OpenCL is a requirement for quite a few tools. There's gotta be something I'm missing because Kali wouldn't have all these tools installed requiring opencl if it couldn't function. The other question I have is why didn't hashcat detect the intel cpu graphics and benchmark that? That I can't figure out, even when I prompt it to select CPU as device.

It looks like kernel 6.2 has some specific features that are upgrades related to the RDNA3 used by AMD. I'm checking to see if upgrading to 6.2 can be done safely in Kali. Debian doesn't yet have it in the repos'

The Plot thickens. So, I was able to update to kernel 6.2 which has some updates related to RDNA3. That's the good news. Below is the bad news which is what spilled out during the update.
: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ip_discovery.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega10_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_10_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/psp_13_0_10_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/aldebaran_cap.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_imu.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_0_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sdma_6_0_3.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/gc_11_0_3_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/smu_13_0_10.bin for module amdgpu

Yeah, great. I know from experience that downloading the wrong firmware will turn your day into madness, followed by the realization everything is gone and you need to find the bootable usb drive. There is some firmware releases that came after the one I have installed but I'm not clear which would apply. The one installed is 20230117 the lastest up there which was committed yesterday is 20230625 but as far as if it applies or which of the other ones is past what my knowledge level is. I'm not afraid to say I don't know and would refer to the community for some guidance on this one. Thanks.

This is regular behavior out of Debian. Also the long times it takes to rebuild the "initramfs" which gets on my nerves. Also the darned DKMS thing which it has to do on every single kernel setup that is available, including one that should have been deleted because it's obsolete...

Latest posts