Issues with Linux installation on ASUS

ximeng86

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, my laptop is an ASUS FX553V with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU with 64-bit OS.

After a failed installation, booting Mint from USB now no longer works. First I got an error message that said

“Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed
:Not Found"

But I solved it by renaming grubx64.efi to mmx64.efi in my USB

Then now "bad shim signature - you need to load the kernel first" (I read somewhere that I need to disable secure boot, but on my Asus BIOS there is no such option)

It looks like I won't be able to install Mint. I also tried with Ubuntu and it crashed.

What can I do?

Welcome common problem for the beginner have you searched why ?

this is the common list
Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot and secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Now your machine is an ACER of 2017 vintage, with intel wi-fi and hybrid graphics [this you may need help to set up, but not my brief.]

make sure you have downloaded the amd86 version of the ISO and note reason 3

@Brickwizard, I noticed this member over at reddit, he has had trouble locating secure boot in the bios. Any ideas for him on this particular model etc ?

I noticed this member over at reddit,
this is bad form Brian he should not be working the same problem on multiple forums, in the vast majority of machines it is usually found in the BIOS/UEFI under security settings,

oh he has not been back here since posting his question

Welcome common problem for the beginner have you searched why ?

this is the common list
Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot and secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Now your machine is an ACER of 2017 vintage, with intel wi-fi and hybrid graphics [this you may need help to set up, but not my brief.]

make sure you have downloaded the amd86 version of the ISO and note reason 3
Thanks for the feedback!
Let me reply on the points I think I have an issue with:

3) couldn’t find secure boot on my BIOS but only Fast boot and disabled it

5) I just ran an integrity check on C: and it looked fine. Is that what you meant?

5B) Mine is an HP SSD S700 500GB and I found my computer to have 2 (?) partitions: partition 1 and 2 (but there is also a partition 0. I guess this may have happened when I tried to install Mint by partitioning the system the first time, but my machine got stuck and failed. Do you think I need to delete any of these partitions? Not sure how

Thanks

this is bad form Brian he should not be working the same problem on multiple forums, in the vast majority of machines it is usually found in the BIOS/UEFI under security settings,

oh he has not been back here since posting his question

Yes you are right, and I stopped writing on reddit since they redirected me to this forum. I will stick to this one, sorry about that

Is that what you meant?
if using windows then normally use CHKDSK
they redirected me to this forum
wow not known that to happen before.
in the vast majority of machines it is usually found in the BIOS/UEFI under security settings,
Remember to re-boot after disabling, or windows [if you still have it , will often re-enable both
just in case you have one of the machines that have the Secure boot in the windows programming not the BIOS/Uefi

disable Secure Boot on Windows 11/10, take these steps:

• Open Windows Settings and go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup options.
  • Click on Restart Now, and on restart, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
  • Select UEFI Firmware Settings next, which will take you to the BIOS.
  • Secure Boot is usually available under Security, Boot or Authentication Tab.
  • Set it to Disabled.
  • Save changes and exit.

if using windows then normally use CHKDSK

wow not known that to happen before.

Remember to re-boot after disabling, or windows [if you still have it , will often re-enable both
just in case you have one of the machines that have the Secure boot in the windows programming not the BIOS/Uefi

disable Secure Boot on Windows 11/10, take these steps:

• Open Windows Settings and go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup options.
  • Click on Restart Now, and on restart, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
  • Select UEFI Firmware Settings next, which will take you to the BIOS.
  • Secure Boot is usually available under Security, Boot or Authentication Tab.
  • Set it to Disabled.
  • Save changes and exit.
chkdsk did not work, as it said I do not have the necessary authorizations. I went to the BIOS several times and I could not find Secure Boot anywhere, only Fast boot and disabled it. When I tried to click on UEFI Firmware Settings I was kicked out of the BIOS and back into Windows.

So I guess you do not see an issue with the partitions, right?

ok lets go back to basics
switch the machine off, insert the USB, switch on whilst ticking the short boot menu key [usually F8 on an Asus]
from the short boot list, select USB and enter, the iSO should now load to ram for testing,
if it loads ok you can select install, when it comes to partitioning use the drop-down box to select your drive/partition, OR select install alongside windows and let the installer sort it out,
many newbies watch bloody you tubes and think they have to partition the HDD themselves, and this causes a myriad of problems, cant find the partition/wrong format/ wrong size/ add infinitum .

ok lets go back to basics
switch the machine off, insert the USB, switch on whilst ticking the short boot menu key [usually F8 on an Asus]
from the short boot list, select USB and enter, the iSO should now load to ram for testing,
if it loads ok you can select install, when it comes to partitioning use the drop-down box to select your drive/partition, OR select install alongside windows and let the installer sort it out,
many newbies watch bloody you tubes and think they have to partition the HDD themselves, and this causes a myriad of problems, cant find the partition/wrong format/ wrong size/ add infinitum .
This does not work, and I get the 2 error messages I described above. I actually tick the ESC button on Asus to get to the boot menu, and when I get there I have 2 different USB to choose from (maybe one is my USB mouse, I should try remove that).

By the way, I do not want to partition my system myself. I just think there was something wrong when I was almost successful in installing Mint the first time, but something went wrong with the partitioning (I guess, but not sure of that)

OR select install alongside windows and let the installer sort it out,
Are you wishing to dual boot?....Linux Mint alongside windows ?

If you do not wish to dual boot....in other words just have Linux Mint only on the laptop.....then read this link

https://linuxmint-installation-guid...ll.html#installing-linux-mint-on-the-computer

....and in particular look for the window that looks like the below
2024-05-23_07-36.png

The box to tick if you are going to wipe windows and install ONLY Linux Mint, is the ...
ERASE DISK and INSTALL LINUX MINT.

By selecting that choice you will effectively WIPE windows completely and Install Mint......THE INSTALLER WILL TAKE CARE OF PARTITIONING. Sit back and watch

Attachments

• 2024-05-23_07-29.png
    2024-05-23_07-29.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 39
do you have a second computer [or access] on which to check your USB ISO works ok

1716445452754.png

Take note of the post by CaffeineAddict, above.......that should take care of secure boot for you.

Ok, so the rest of the checks are fine? I mean the partition thing and the chkdsk non working. I will try with a different USB then
Just tried a different USB stick, I was able to boot into Mint. Now I see the desktop and the Mint logo! So it was a defective USB stick all along!

Members online