Is this the correct place for a you tube problem question ?

2gangvc

Reaction score
Credits
You tube has ceased to function , all i get is the header and a bunch of grey squares where the pictorial selections should be .
The loading progress circle spins around but then hangs up, it was working perfectly the previous day ???.
Can anyone help please .
Using the old version of Linux mint 19.3 Tricia , is it perhaps a support problem ?.

G'day, Welcome to Linux org

Your problem could be at least partially related to the fact that 19.3 reached end of life for both active support and also security updates in early 2023

Thanks for replies people, that thought had crossed my mind about out of date release.
Ok point taken, next question , where do i go for the latest mint release and can it be done through the terminal with minimal hassle ?. I need some way points here please as i,m not really up on computers just all self taught !

try freetube: https://freetubeapp.io/

it uses https://invidious.io/ to watch yt while respecting your privacy.

its basically a desktop yt client that uses a proxy to watch yt. you can subscribe and all that. you dont need a google account. I use it every day and really like it.

So doesnt come with comments sections then ?, is that restricted to YT only.

I think it can view comments, but without the google account, and of course with using the freetube client, you cant comment. I think you have to enable that in settings. I'm not sure. I dont think I ever looked at comments, or commented on a yt video myself.
I found it / use it because I wanted a privacy friendly option for yt.

And yes, that is a yt client basically. You can tell it to use individuous api in the settings, or to use the "local backend", which is their weird way of saying query youtube directly.

Been using FreeTube for nearly a decade, ever since the very first release. I, too, like it.

It had issues connecting for a year or two, around the time the old maintainer stepped down. Since the new team took over some 3 or 4 years back, it's gone from strength to strength.

Most replies you'll get will insist that an out-of-date OS is the root cause of every problem. That is mostly true, but for YT especially the browser itself will play a big part; is your browser also out-of-date?

If both are "behind the times", the issue is self-explanatory. Google - who own & operate YouTube - are taking a more hardline stance toward out-of-date browsers, and have for a while been supporting ONLY the very newest versions of all browsers. They can easily do this by cross-checking the user-agent string against that for the newest, current stable release of each browser. If they match, you're "good to go"; if not.....you can soon expect to have problems.

It's good practice, anyway. T'internet is, and always has been, by far & away the biggest "infection vector" there is for malware, etc. Keeping it up to date keeps both your system and your data safe.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Been using FreeTube for nearly a decade, ever since the very first release. I, too, like it.
Only a couple of years for me, but it works fine for me

Ok point taken, next question , where do i go for the latest mint release and can it be done through the terminal with minimal hassle ?
I'm not sure if it will show on your version. But have a look on your Update Manager. When the latest version came out, there was a link appearing on that screen. Something like "Update to Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon".

However, with your version being that far behind, I doubt it's there. It's under Menu/Administration/

And if you're simply looking for a quick fix, I use the Brave browser to view YT. I'm not sure how "private" it really is. But you won't see any ads while still being able to read comments. I have never logged in to YT with it. So, I can't help on the functionality of it if one does.

You tube has ceased to function , all i get is the header and a bunch of grey squares where the pictorial selections should be .
The loading progress circle spins around but then hangs up, it was working perfectly the previous day ???.
Can anyone help please .
Using the old version of Linux mint 19.3 Tricia , is it perhaps a support problem ?.
Have you tried to clear your internet cache files ?

Forget youtube for now...you're using an unsupported version of Mint (no security)...please go here...https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
Download Cinnamon 21.3 and do a clean install...remember always use a supported version and keep your system up to date...that means install all updates.
m1212.gif

Are you blocking YouTube ads?

That'd have been my first question, given the state of affairs.

However, getting you onto a supported operating system is probably a good spot to start.

Members online

Latest posts