Is it a graphics card issue?

Hello,

I'm new here and relatively new to Linux. My only real experience came from the limited time I owned a copy of the Novena Heirloom computers I designed with Bunnie Huang. I decided I couldn't justify owning an expensive, special purpose computer that I could not really make use of so, when a university professor came along wanting to buy an example of the 13 copies we made, I sold it. Fun project just referenced as an aside.

My goal at the moment is to get a Linux installation onto an iMac that has aged out of the OSX world so that I might run a copy of the DaVinci video editor to take advantage of this large screen. I might play with some other applications and learn enough Linux to keep things working, but my goal is not a deep dive into Linux.

I'm writing this from an Ubuntu example running from a USB. I had to use simple graphics to get it to work. I have attempted to install 5 different distros mainly using iso file burned to USB with balena Etcher. I've read that there are ways to get the installation to the computer to work using nomodeset and figured out where to put that in the grub file. But I'm guessing that may apply only to the extant Live USB session and not the eventual install to the computer. I presume I have a graphics incompatibility issue with the stock Linux graphics driver because any time I attempt the install I end up with a 4 panel screen, each with a copy of the same output, but completely illegible. Besides that I want to make a source like site StudyMoose, which I will use as an aid for college, it should work as a kind of search engine, which will help me browse any site without accessing it directly. I also begin to understand that nomodeset isn't a good long term solution anyway. So the question is how do I get an installation to work and come up with at least the usable screen I'm working on now. It's a bit low res, but I could live with that if there are no simple alternatives.

Thanks.
Got it! MX-21.3 Wildflower 64 bit version. The last mistake I was making was not properly setting up the partitioning phase of the setup. It's now running in hi res mode and booting up normally.
Thanks everyone for your help. Now to see if I can get DaVinci running on this setup.
Hey, sorry for bringing up the thread, I just ran into this problem and wanted to say thanks for solving it, but I have another question, did you manage to start DaVinci on this one? I get code -59 error when I try to edit something. Does everything work fine for you? Because I am assuming that the system works incorrectly, because I did everything according to the instruction.

@parrotcam :-

Just to add to this:-

IF you are running a 32-bit distro then, no; you cannot run DaVinci on it. DaVinci is 64-bit only.

The other point is that up until a couple of years ago, it was perfectly possible to run DaVinci Resolve via standard, integrated system graphics. In the intervening time-period, BlackMagicDesign have re-coded the application to expect a proper, discrete GPU running up-to-date proprietary drivers. If you're only running integrated graphics, it won't even fire up now.

BlackMagicDesign have also re-written the thing - even the free version - to expect to find a pro, work-station environment.....preferably with a bunch of their own, hugely-expensive professional video-editing hardware already hooked-up & ready to go. It's no longer really an option for the home user.

-------------------

My personal recommendation would be to take a look at the Lightworks video editor. The free version of this approaches the feature levels of DaVinci, yet without the rather constraining requirements of the latter...

Lightworks is also 64-bit only. However, it's much more accessible, and far less demanding in its requirements. I've re-packaged this to run in self-contained, 'portable' mode for the Puppy Linux community......and it works rather well.

It would be nice to know how you get on with DaVinci Resolve.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: