Internet search help

Danbor

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all. I'm wanting to do a search for a tutorial or a "how to" article on how to perform a task in Gimp. My problem is that I can't figure out how to phrase my query in a one line search.
Here's what I am trying to do. Mind you, in this post I'm not asking anyone here how to do it, just how to phrase my search term. ;)
I have an old black and white photo that I scanned and saved as a .jpg file. This photo at some point has been folded over, leaving creases across the photo. Naturally when I scanned the photo, the creases showed up on the .jpg.
So, how do I condense my query to search for this specific task? Several tries at this have led to hits that cover many things, but none that would seem to help. Mind you, I know next to nothing about Gimp and I'm learning as I go here.

You're going to need a lot the ''clone'' tool to gather information from around the missing areas

I ran this gimp restore old photos in the Brave browser and then used the date filter in Brave to only show results from the last year to avoid tutorials/info posted years ago on outdated versions. It returned several promising links. And you don't get 3 pages of advertising links like Google gives you.

There's also a photo recovery sub-Reddit that will restore old pictures. You can offer to pay them but they appear to do so for free.

I use Brave for my browser and search with Duck duck go. But of course I didn't know about the date filter. I've also used the search term "restore old photos with Gimp", which does yield a lot of results. I was forlornly hoping for a result that was more specific to the issue I wanted to work on in this particular photo, hence my question on how to make the search more narrow.
And I guess I should have added that I was looking for print articles. Youtube is fine for entertainment, but, in my case, not well suited for instruction or learning. It's a constant game of "oops, what was that again? Back it up and start over" again and again ad nauseum until I get sick of it and just close it.
And, I know I'm a dinosaur, but I don't know what Reddit even is, let alone a sub-Reddit. I will after I do a search for it though. ;)
Thanks all for the help.

Thanks for the tip Condobloke. I'll keep it in mind. Not real fond of dealing with AI at this point, shows my prejudice I know, but I am who I am.

https://gprivate.com/5ymxj

m1201.gif

Not trying to be snarky here bob466, but the question wasn't how to search for how to use gimp. The question was how to phrase a search term to find how to do a specific task with Gimp.
The results of the search term you offered are what led to the question in the first place. Ok, I used a different search engine instead of Google to search but the results were pretty much the same.
But thanks for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it.

So, you're looking for a tutorial or a "how to" article on fixing creases on a scanned black and white photo using Gimp, right? You can try "Fix creases on scanned black and white photo Gimp tutorial."

Just signing off for the night but found

activate the Heal tool using the Heal Option from the Tools-> Paint Tools menu or hit the H key. Hold the CTRL key and drag the area that we want to copy to repair the image.

https://www.javatpoint.com/gimp-heal-tool

... any good?

Nite

Wiz

While some may be a tad old YouTube has some good tutorials about Gimp.
Always,
Wildman

Thanks to all for the input!
Diving into all this, this is one subject that is going to take a bit of time. One question leads to another and there's no one method to do what I want to do. Looks like retouching old photos takes the use of many different tools and procedures. The heal tool does a little, A few things need the histogram, others need clone tool, and on and on.
Looks like I'm be spending the next year or so, basically, experimenting. In fact, it may be time to bite the bullet and see if I can find an online course devoted to learning Gimp. All the articles and videos assume knowledge of terms and procedures that I don't yet have. Luckily, I don't need to learn this or get accomplish anything by a deadline so there's no pressure.

Davies Media .com may be a site you would like to take a look at. He has a good deal of Gimp tutorials and lessons. I will admit I also am no where near understanding Gimp.
Always,
Wildman

Thanks to all for the input!
Diving into all this, this is one subject that is going to take a bit of time. One question leads to another and there's no one method to do what I want to do. Looks like retouching old photos takes the use of many different tools and procedures. The heal tool does a little, A few things need the histogram, others need clone tool, and on and on.
Looks like I'm be spending the next year or so, basically, experimenting. In fact, it may be time to bite the bullet and see if I can find an online course devoted to learning Gimp. All the articles and videos assume knowledge of terms and procedures that I don't yet have. Luckily, I don't need to learn this or get accomplish anything by a deadline so there's no pressure.
If learning Gimp is not something you WANT to do, consider locating a pro to touch up your photos. I looked into having someone "repair" some old photos several years ago. And at the time, it wasn't exactly cheap. But it wasn't horribly priced either. I have no idea what it would cost today. But I can tell you that it didn't cost me a single penny to reach out to several professionals back then.

Thanks for the tip truckerDave, ( like the username btw, retired OTR trucker here ).
It's not that I don't want to learn Gimp, rather, it's that I don't have any interest in having to waste time wading through lessons on Gimp stuff I will never, ever, use. All I want to use the thing for is retouching all the photos I've collected over a lifetime. I am not creative. Not going to create logos, icons, text, cartoons, or "artwork" of any kind.
So far, all the courses I've found want to teach all that stuff and have the photo manipulation tacked on to the end of the course. And it looks like most of that involves learning how to do "creative" effects on the photos, adding text, adding and / or removing parts of the picture, etc. Again, nothing I'd ever use.
It is what it is though. I have a few years left in me, and it looks like a good chunk of that time will be spent experimenting with the thing.
As for paying a professional, well, I'm a rather private person, leave the property only when absolutely needful now that I've retired, I've been out of the Army since 1989 and I have never felt comfortable around civilians, just don't get the priorities. The photos are either family things, or pictures from when I was in uniform. Not really things I care to share with the general population.

Members online