internet browser slowing down computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just stop off at the store before you show up so that you can bring a bottle of wine.
You never fail to crack me up lol

Ungoogled Chromium
You can find it in the Linux Mint app store.
I just looked at my Arch box, and it was nowhere to be found. Not even a "build" option.:eek:

@marbles Never replies.
Seeing his threads are regarded as being fair game for 'off topic" use.....i can hardly blame him

I use Bleachbit never had a problem.

That works well enough. I don't recall who it was for, but not too long ago I helped someone fix it so that they could run Bleachbit as root. That was a bit of an intellectual nugget.

That works well enough. I don't recall who it was for, but not too long ago I helped someone fix it so that they could run Bleachbit as root. That was a bit of an intellectual nugget.
You can install bleachbit root as found in the Mint Software app, so I'm certain it's widely available.
No need to struggle with that one ;)

once it reaches 1gig, my pc freezes up or slows down where its unusable (i have 8gig of memory on the computer)
That accumulated 1GB of "site data" does not take away from the RAM (8gb) on your pc...it uses the available space on your hard drive/ssd
So, if your pc is " freezes up or slows down where its unusable".....then I would hazard an educated guess that your HDD is full...or very close to it.

m......please reply to me

The builds I use for the Ungoogled Chromium 'portable' come from a guy using the handle "Marmaduke". These can be found at Github, here:-

"Marmaduke" compiles these from the source code that's freely available at The Chromium Project. However, he adds-in support for just about everything you can think of (and then some.....like full VAAPI encoding/decoding, plus Wayland / XWayland support).

Normally I recommend AppImages, as these are my preferred app format, but for browsers they introduce 'issues', due to their /tmp-mounted read-only nature. So the 'standard' build is indicated here.

Mike. ;)

You can install bleachbit root as found in the Mint Software app, so I'm certain it's widely available.
No need to struggle with that one ;)

You'll have to search. There was someone that had a major issue. It involved writing a new .desktop file and changing a bunch of permissions.

Lemme see if I can find it...

Ah, it was a bit more involved than that. See here.

You'll have to search. There was someone that had a major issue. It involved writing a new .desktop file and changing a bunch of permissions.

Lemme see if I can find it...

Ah, it was a bit more involved than that. See here.
Gotcha! That was about setting up an app to launch as root without having to enter a password if I followed the thread correctly. Bleachbit came in about half way down the first page ;)

Last edited:
That was about setting up an app to launch as root without having to enter a password if I followed the thread correctly.

Yup. They wanted to run it without a password. It was an interesting nugget.

Anyhow, to keep the thread on topic, we should move that to the other thread or a new thread - if it's actually needed.

Yup. They wanted to run it without a password. It was an interesting nugget.

Anyhow, to keep the thread on topic, we should move that to the other thread or a new thread - if it's actually needed.
I'm still puzzled by the OPs first post.

i clear the following setting;
internet browser - settings - privacy and security - Cookies and Site Data - once it reaches 1gig,

I guess some people don't care about their file system, nor their privacy SMH :oops:

@marbles Never replies.
That is 100% correct.

I have given him fair warning in THIS TOPIC, that I will no longer expend time and effort, unless he responds.

Help on this forum is a two way street. Simply "dropping" your requirements onto the page and then expecting all and sundry to run around doing your bidding, is not on.

Quite so.

I am locking this Thread.

If the OP wishes to reopen it and contribute to it, he can contact Staff with a request.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts