Installing Chrome on Linux

Like many in the past he is having mindset problems in not letting go of Windows.
For many, that is not an easy mindset to change.

The OP has taken significant steps already, in replacing his Windows with Linux. Cut him some slack.

Wizard
I still find myself have a few habits from my days of Windows OSs.

One for instance is after any update I reboot my computer.

Hmm I used to reboot my computer after updating my Windows OSs.

So yeah change of OS habits may come easier to some than others especially to old farts as myself. o_O

Linux user since 2014 learned the basics enough to stay confused. o_O

@Emanate Presence This may explain.

ok, thankfully the OP is not using M$ defender. That was something I was concerned about and hoped to prevent the next post with defender issues.

Maybe we need to put on all linux setups..... "Abandon all Windows as you enter". So many come in thinking Linux just replaces windows but otherwise is the same. So when we hear people running windoze stuff we try to get them away from it.

Why do they say..."I've been using windoze for a long time"...as if that's an excuse.
1712704975607.gif

Most of us here have used it for a long time and some of us don't want to be reminded...we made the switch to Linux easy because we wanted too and know Linux isn't windoze.
m1212.gif

We all want to help people make the transition to Linux as painless as possible but sometimes it's very hard.
1712705570394.gif

So many come in thinking Linux just replaces windows but otherwise is the same. So when we hear people running windoze stuff we try to get them away from it.
I may be wrong in saying this. I will probably get castigated for it.......BUT; it's generally been my experience that those Linux users who try their very hardest to steer others away from having anything to do with Windows are either:-

• Over-zealous (i.e., 'purists'), or
  • Have at some point in the past had a very "negative" experience with Windows themselves

Oh, I know I "knock" Windows myself. It's more in jest than anything else; in my case - apart from suffering the same ongoing day-in, day-out frustrations with Windows as millions of others - I simply "grew out of it". After 26 years, I'd had enough & wanted to try another approach; fortunately, I WAS able to see beyond Windows, and "see the wood" despite being "in among the trees"..! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Yes, I freely admit to using WINE for a handful of M$ programs for which I've just never been able to find the same "all-in" functionality under Linux. Not without having to use a handful of Linux apps combined, that is.......and to my way of thinking, that kind of defeats the whole point of making my life easier. As a graphic design afficionado, I source apps from all over the place; it's a known fact that for some stuff, Windows can't be bettered.....whereas for much else, Linux will run rings around it.

There's no shame in using multiple platforms to achieve your goals. "If it works for you".....ya know?

I'm happy to make use of certain items of M$ software, where they do what I want of them.......but you couldn't "persuade" me to return to using it full-time. Not even with a big stick!

I love my Puppies wayyy too much for that..... :p

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY.. and WHY. antivirus is pointless to us linux people. Only good for keeping viruses from passing through to windoze. But as mentioned we have much better AV than what Mico$oft gives us. IMHO if you are going to fill your linux up with M$ crap, might as well just use Windoze.

Sorry to cause consternation and confusion in the group.

Defender was stored in my brain from my very brief and necessary encounter with Windows on a new to me ThinkPad, on the way to a full install of Linux.

It was my anomaly, not an actuality, that generated the word Defender in my post.

Defender on Linux never happened with me!

I may be wrong in saying this. I will probably get castigated for it.......BUT; it's generally been my experience that those Linux users who try their very hardest to steer others away from having anything to do with Windows are either:-

• Over-zealous (i.e., 'purists'), or
  • Have at some point in the past had a very "negative" experience with Windows themselves

Oh, I know I "knock" Windows myself. It's more in jest than anything else; in my case - apart from suffering the same ongoing day-in, day-out frustrations with Windows as millions of others - I simply "grew out of it". After 26 years, I'd had enough & wanted to try another approach; fortunately, I WAS able to see beyond Windows, and "see the wood" despite being "in among the trees"..! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Yes, I freely admit to using WINE for a handful of M$ programs for which I've just never been able to find the same "all-in" functionality under Linux. Not without having to use a handful of Linux apps combined, that is.......and to my way of thinking, that kind of defeats the whole point of making my life easier. As a graphic design afficionado, I source apps from all over the place; it's a known fact that for some stuff, Windows can't be bettered.....whereas for much else, Linux will run rings around it.

There's no shame in using multiple platforms to achieve your goals. "If it works for you".....ya know?

I'm happy to make use of certain items of M$ software, where they do what I want of them.......but you couldn't "persuade" me to return to using it full-time. Not even with a big stick!

I love my Puppies wayyy too much for that..... :p

Mike. ;)

Kudos for your reasoned and balanced approach, Mike.

Purist mentalities aren't limited to Linux users, either.

I am involved in the crypto X space, and there the purists are called maxis. BTC and nothing else forever!

The one and only blockchain that resonates with me is Cardano and its ecosystem and community.

I feel neutral towards other chains, no animosity, just no attraction.

The Cardano vision, being realized on the methodical and scientific roadmap, is to be a cross chain platform, with numerous partner chains.

Of course that only works where there is compatibility of technology as well as philosophy.

I love the First Principles of Cardano, and the passion and commitment of its core community, who've weathered many a storm together.

I call myself a Cardano enthusiast, and often round out my views with the perspectives of others.

Same applies here on Linux. I am glad to stay clear of Windows, and realize that holding any resentment towards it hurts only me.

Thank you to those who responded, and especially for pointing me to Brave.

In the interest of de-cluttering, I am considering to eliminate Firefox from my desktop.

Before that, does anyone have input about reasons to keep it, when Brave appears to be my default browser of choice?

Appears because its still early, but so far its looking good, and more intuitive for me than Firefox.

Before that, does anyone have input about reasons to keep it, when Brave appears to be my default browser of choice?
you can leave it in the start menu and just remove the tray icon by right click and select unpin

to completely remove it and any dependencies click LM [mint menu] go to internet and click, find Firefox and right click,then select uninstall

Thank you to those who responded, and especially for pointing me to Brave.

In the interest of de-cluttering, I am considering to eliminate Firefox from my desktop.

Appears because its still early, but so far its looking good, and more intuitive for me than Firefox.
I always preach that you need more than one browser due to how lazy some people are in building websites. For example I use firefox 90% of the time. However my phone company does not support firefox in the website. Meaning i can't get logged in to pay bills. I need to use Chrome for them and several others. When I teach classes I also tell people to have more than one browser so they can see all the websites they go to. It really will not take up much space. You can ignore the icon for firefox but I would keep it or install some other browser along with your Brave. Maintain your sanity

you can leave it in the start menu and just remove the tray icon by right click and select unpin

to completely remove it and any dependencies click LM [mint menu] go to internet and click, find Firefox and right click,then select uninstall

Thanks.

I have three Browsers...Firefox...Brave and Google Chrome.

Most of my time is spent between Firefox and Brave...it's always a good idea to have more than one.
m1213.gif

I have three Browsers...Firefox...Brave and Google Chrome.

Most of my time is spent between Firefox and Brave...it's always a good idea to have more than one.
m1213.gif
In my case, I guess I probably run most of the browsers that are ported to Linux.....though not all at once, obviously, and not all of them all the time.

This is largely due to building/maintaining the range of 'portable' browsers that I - along with help from many other Puppians - have developed for Puppy. I make no apologies for it; many noobs often complain that there's TOO MUCH choice in Linux.....but to me, choice is a good thing.

I would sooner have as big a choice as possible, than not have enough..... After all, not everyone always wishes to do things in exactly the same way as everybody else.....and when all's said & done, browsers are the 'glue' that hold our on-line communities together. You can never have enough of 'em.

(shrug...)

Mike. ;)

Is Brave really that good, guys? I'm asking because I like the look and feel of it, but its crypto wallets and such make me really apprehensive. I find myself uneasy when it comes to actually installing it and using it daily.

On my tomorrow, I will show you how to disable the wallets and assorted junk...easily.

have a read of this...it is a bit fractured....interrupted a few times with comments etc

In the case of the 'wallet' and similar....either right click on it (or left click....I cant remember exactly)....and turn it off. That is all that is necessary...along with a couple of settings which You will find in the article.
Feel free to ask if there is something that doesn't make sense to you etc

Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to read that and brave the Brave again, ha-ha. :)

Well done.

I have set it up keeping google at arms length, usually sticking to the default settings for fingerprinting and the like

You may prefer a different approach

Is Brave really that good, guys? I'm asking because I like the look and feel of it, but its crypto wallets and such make me really apprehensive. I find myself uneasy when it comes to actually installing it and using it daily.
Well, I have used Brave lightly so far. In that time I have been mostly impressed. From the initial look and feel, it is more intuitive for me than Firefox.

I am very interested to know what you mean by the crypto wallet. I have installed two in Brave but used little. One seems okay, the other is new to me and I am not sure how it would look elsewhere. But actually, I couldn't install the crypto wallet extensions in Firefox at all, and Chrome wouldn't download. So far, Brave seems my best option.

However, I would like it better if I could enlarge the menu bars. I did adjust the fonts upwards,that has made some but not enough difference. in the text size. Haven't been able to make the top menu bars larger at all, and its needed even with my reading glasses!

Latest posts