Installing Chrome on Linux

@Emanate Presence :-

As I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread - or it could have been elsewhere - you can 'enlarge' the GUI in Brave and, indeed, any Chromium-based browser. However, it is NOT a 'point-and-click' operation within the Settings/Preferences.

(There IS the text increase that can be applied while browsing; press & hold 'Ctrl', then scroll up or down with your mouse to increase/decrease text size......but this only affects what's within the browser window. It doesn't touch the actual GUI.)

You have to locate the Brave 'launch wrapper' script; all Chromium-based browsers use one of these. You need to open that script with your favourite text editor .....and then you need to locate, and modify, the 'exec' line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Here's my own 'exec' line from the wrapper launch script in my Brave-portable:-

Code:
"$HERE/brave/brave" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE/spot/Brave-Browser --disk-cache-size=50000000 --media-cache-size=50000000 --allow-outdated-plugins --force-device-scale-factor=1.2 "$@"

Ignore the "$HERE" variable; these 'portable' browsers are set to recognise the portable's directory as analagous to the normal /home/user directory, which helps to keep everything together in one place.

The item you're interested in is that final 'switch' (with these browsers, a 'switch' is a command-line instruction to the browser at launch time, is always preceded by the double-dash "--", and is always separated from any other instruction by a space):-

Code:
--force-device-scale-factor=1.2

1 is standard view. 2 would be 100% larger - double the size. The 1.2 as shown gives me about 20% extra size.....combined with a bigger than usual global DPI across the OS, this gives me the GUI size increase I want.

It takes a bit of experimenting to find the magnification factor you're happy with.....but setting it up this way means the size increase is PERMANENT. There's no danger of the browser deciding to "lose" the increased size during a restart or a system reboot.

I would recommend starting with 1.5, then working up (or down) from there. This tweak will work for any Chromium-based browser; once you've got it to your liking, you can copy/paste this section into the wrapper script exec line for any other of these browsers.

Mike. ;)

what is the 'defender' you speak of ?

Microsoft Defender does indeed exist for Linux. All Azure cloud Linux that we use have defender pre-installed by default.

Whether it's any good or not is another discussion. :)

I am very interested to know what you mean by the crypto wallet.
It's been awhile since I used Brave, I just remember there were a lot of ads, pop-ups enabled by default about crypto stuff and Brave Wallet. Something like that. And that was what scared me away initially.

As I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread - or it could have been elsewhere - you can 'enlarge' the GUI in Brave and, indeed, any Chromium-based browser. However, it is NOT a 'point-and-click' operation within the Settings/Preferences.

(There IS the text increase that can be applied while browsing; press & hold 'Ctrl', then scroll up or down with your mouse to increase/decrease text size......but this only affects what's within the browser window. It doesn't touch the actual GUI.)

You have to locate the Brave 'launch wrapper' script; all Chromium-based browsers use one of these. You need to open that script with your favourite text editor .....and then you need to locate, and modify, the 'exec' line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Code:
"$HERE/brave/brave" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE/spot/Brave-Browser --disk-cache-size=50000000 --media-cache-size=50000000 --allow-outdated-plugins --force-device-scale-factor=1.2 "$@"

Ignore the "$HERE" variable; these 'portable' browsers are set to recognise the portable's directory as analagous to the normal /home/user directory, which helps to keep everything together in one place.

The item you're interested in is that final 'switch' (with these browsers, a 'switch' is a command-line instruction to the browser at launch time, is always preceded by the double-dash "--", and is always separated from any other instruction by a space):-

Code:

1 is standard view. 2 would be 100% larger - double the size. The 1.2 as shown gives me about 20% extra size.....combined with a bigger than usual global DPI across the OS, this gives me the GUI size increase I want.

It takes a bit of experimenting to find the magnification factor you're happy with.....but setting it up this way means the size increase is PERMANENT. There's no danger of the browser deciding to "lose" the increased size during a restart or a system reboot.

I would recommend starting with 1.5, then working up (or down) from there. This tweak will work for any Chromium-based browser; once you've got it to your liking, you can copy/paste this section into the wrapper script exec line for any other of these browsers.

Mike. ;)

Many thanks Mike. I will have to do some deep breathing exercises before starting that one!

It's been awhile since I used Brave, I just remember there were a lot of ads, pop-ups enabled by default about crypto stuff and Brave Wallet. Something like that. And that was what scared me away initially.

There are Brave ads, and they make no sense to me so I just ignore them best I can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Code:

Code:

Mike. ;)

Speaking of favorite text editor, what is recommended for easy access of something like Notepad?

Speaking of favorite text editor, what is recommended for easy access of something like Notepad?
TBH, I don't think it matters WHAT you use, but.....there are so many text editors out there it's hard to know what TO recommend. I'd ask the many Mint users here what they would recommend; no doubt Mint has at least a couple built-in somewhere in the system. Most distros do.

We tend to use Geany much of the time in Puppy. This is far more than just a text editor; it's what known as an IDE (an Integrated Development Environment). Useful when you're scripting, since it'll let you run ('execute') your scripts to see the outcome of changes/modifications BEFORE you put them into service.....in addition to 'debugging', and letting you know where syntax / coding errors are located.

There's Leafpad; Notepad ++; Notepadqq: Nano; Vim; Kate; Gedit; Atom; eMacs.....the list just goes on and on! Yes, there's GUI differences with layout & the way they do things, but essentially they all allow you to perform the same basic operations.

See what "the gang" have to say for themselves...

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
@Emanate Presence, I really like Sublime Text. It's in Linux Mint repository.

P.S. I don't know how to address/mention someone to make it into a link: am I supposed to copy the link to someone's profile and then copy/paste their name here in the forum's editor when replying? I hope I'm doing it right.

Last edited:
P.S. I don't know how to address/mention someone to make it into a link: a
2 ways
1] if its in relation to a specific part of a post, then highlight the bit you want in their post and click on reply [see box above]
2] to call a member to a post, use the @ example @WinterOwl will call you [provided you have notifications on in your profile]

I think it worked! For some reason the list that should've automatically poped up, only worked after I typed almost half of your username, @Brickwizard. I thought it would do it right after typing the first letter :D Thank you.

I think it worked! For some reason the list that should've automatically poped up,
it depends not on how active a member is but on the alpha numerics of the name, there are at least 8 members beginning with Bri or bri and 10 starting win or Win

@Condobloke in their post shared a link on how to set up Brave, maybe there is something there that turns off all the garbage
Indeed there is

I quite deliberately turn off the brave rewards paraphernalia etc...i have zero interest in that

My install and set up link works quite nicely

On my brave browser, I get NO adds.

On rare occasions I do get a 'non willingness' on braves part to interact with certain websites in a proper manner....it usually involves a popup not being allowed. This is a pest, but I simply work around it. Not a biggie

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts