Installation issue

quirkypaneer

Reaction score
Credits
Hello!

I am trying to install ubuntu for the first time. And I am getting stuck on the boot screen itself. I will attach the screen 's pic as well. I am trying to install ver 23.04. My pc is: Asus ROG Strix, 8gb Ram, 512gb storage, Ryzen 7 amd, 8 cores, 2.90ghz processor.

I have downloaded the iso from the official website, used Rufus to burn the image to USB. Booted using usb and then getting stuck right after files start loading. Any help would Be great
16904754457574997298193539737001.jpg
16904754457574997298193539737001.jpg

Also, did you actually check the integrity of your download(?).

The above post from @camtaf suggests checking the file's integrity - which is really a necessary step that gets overlooked by many of us.

The simple way to do that is to download the .iso with a torrent client. Those have built-in checks for file integrity.

There are other ways:

Thank you so much for such fast response. I didn't check the integrity of the file but I did erase and made a fresh iso image on the usb, which didn't work as well. However after a lot more google searches I found out that there is some issue with graphics card, Asus ROG and installation of linux, in one of the forums it was suggested to try installation with safe graphics mode and it was a success. Though I am not sure what will I do for graphics card drivers but atleast I have a working system.

I am still amazed at the speed of response here.

Welcome to the forums
open a terminal type [or copy and paste] inxi -G , then copy and paste the results back

This page will show you how to access the additional driver tool in Ubuntu.
Install the recommended driver and reboot should work. (note: you'll have to install ubuntu first.

Choose another distro...... 23.04 reaches End of Life in January 2024

All security and etc updates from Ubuntu will cease at this time

Choose another distro...... 23.04 reaches End of Life in January 2024

All security and etc updates from Ubuntu will cease at this time
I am new at programming and development and hence no idea. A fellow dev suggested that ubuntu would be best for beginners and I should not get confused with distros at this stage. Idk what to do. If I get another distro, what would you suggest? I am trying to learn web dev and my pc specs are already mentioned. Thanks!

Your are always better off with a LTS version of Ubuntu and it's derivatives currently it is 22.04 - the next LTS version should be 24.04
Those interim versions (23.04, 23.10) are only good for 9 months and are not meant to be used for everyday life, they are more or less for testing so by the time the next LTS rolls out most of the bugs are as well

my pc specs are already mentioned.
we need to know which chip set in the AMD graphics
install and run the inxi
A fellow dev suggested that ubuntu would be best for beginners
there are several distributions suitable for newbies
Any if the Ubuntu family
Linux mint 21.2 [ubuntu based]
Linux mint LMDE [debian based]
MX-ahs [debian based]
Linux Lite [can be a problem to install on newer machines]
Parrot home [can look fussy to a windows user]

Ubuntu is Ok But at @Lord Boltar said you would be better off with the long term support version 22.04.2. I would personally suggest Linux Mint as it's a good desktop distro. But Ubuntu is ok also. Do as @Brickwizard said install inxi and report the out put of
Code:
inxi -G
as far a beginning with Linux this page can be of help also.
enjoy the journey! :)

Your are always better off with a LTS version of Ubuntu and it's derivatives currently it is 22.04 - the next LTS version should be 24.04
Those interim versions (23.04, 23.10) are only good for 9 months and are not meant to be used for everyday life, they are more or less for testing so by the time the next LTS rolls out most of the bugs are as well
I wasn't aware of that. I will be changing to 22.04 then.

we need to know which chip set in the AMD graphics
install and run the inxi
I tried running inxi in terminal and all I get back is:
Command 'inxi' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install inxi

The chipset I have is: AMD Radeon™ Graphics. I am not able to find the exact which chipset it is. Though the product name is: G513IH.
Graphics card that I have is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics
Processor: 4th Gen AMD Ryzen 7 4800H.

Update:
I installed the inxi using the suggested command and here is what I got.
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia
v: 535.54.03
Device-2: AMD Renoir driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8 driver: X:
loaded: amdgpu,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,radeon,vesa
dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080~144Hz
API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~23.04.1 renderer: AMD Radeon
Graphics (renoir LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.49 6.2.0-26-generic)

the onboard AMDgpu should be supported by the kernel drivers [which failed to load]
the 1650 is quite an old chipset, Nvida Linux drivers for this card can be found here.. https://www.nvidia.com/content/Driv...Linux-x86_64-430.09.run&lang=us&type=geforcem
as others have suggested, you may have a corrupt download or a bad write to the USB or even a USB thats not good enough [poor quality or old and well used]
Rufus dosn't seem to like Linux very much, try Balena Etcher, use a good quality USB drive, wiped and formatted X-Fats

Last edited:
the 1650 is quite an old chipset, and so should work fine with the amdgpu drivers in the kernel,
as others have suggested you may have a corrupt download or a bad write to the USB or even a USB thats not good enough [poor quality or old and well used]
Rufus dosn't seem to like Linux very much, try Balena Etcher, use a good quality USB drive, wiped and formatted X-Fats

The 1650 is an nvidia graphics card, not an amd one, and not a chipset either. Grab a cup of coffee :p

bad hair day.. will correct my post

Hello Again!

So I installed 22.04, the issue was same and hence I went with safe graphics mode. Everything went on fine and then later on I installed the graphics card driver as well. Now I am facing a new issue. It is not urgent, as I have a working system but I am concerned as if something maybe wrong.
Whenever I start(switch-on) my system, I get a few lines on my screen:

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 20.35.57.jpeg

what concerns me, is the last line that says 10062890/124751360 blocks. System then continues to start with no issues. But I am concerned if something is blocking my memory? Or is this a usual behaviour?

Thanks in Advance!

Latest posts