Install problems for Apache, Samba and Spamassassin.

Ian Adkins

Reaction score
Credits
My name is Ian and I currently use the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint 21.2 'Victoria', on a Lenovo X230 Thinkpad laptop. My problems are simple.I've tried to install Apach2, Samba and both Bogofilter and Spamassassin from the Software manager. None of them will launchon the desktop. I've tried to install them via the command line but I don't the commands to complete the installation. I've tried unsuccessfully to use a tarball to install Spamassassin. Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong? Also, I've got a hp 2700e wireless printer. Unfortunately, Linux Mint doesn't have the necessary drivers. Can anyone please how I can fix the problem? Will I have to compile drivers for it? If so, how? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

G'day Ian, Welcome to Linux.org

My only experience with spamassassin, is via Thunderbird Email. I will, therefore, watch this thread with interest.

Your printer....You may be better off opening a separate thread for that. (depending on however many answers you get here)

Let's try a simple command. Open your terminal and enter the following:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install samba

You'll be asked to enter a password. Enter the password you user uses to log in. If nothing shows on the screen, this is normal. (I forget if Mint shows asterisks or not.) Just type your password and press enter.

Hey Ian!

With your installation concerns, here are some commands that can help install Apache, Samba, Bogofilter, and SpamAssassin:

1. You can run the following commands in your terminal to proceed with your installations:
Bash:
# Updates the latest available versions of packages from the repositories
sudo apt update
# Installs Apache, Samba, Bogofilter, and SpamAssasin
sudo apt install apache2 samba bogofilter spamassassin

2. Once installed, run the commands below to start the services:
Bash:
sudo systemctl start apache2
sudo systemctl start smbd
sudo systemctl start bogofilter
sudo systemctl start spamassassin

(Optional) You can also enable the services to start on boot with the following commands:
Bash:
sudo systemctl enable apache2
sudo systemctl enable smbd
sudo systemctl enable bogofilter
sudo systemctl enable spamassassin

4. Now, execute each command below to check the status of the services:
Bash:
sudo systemctl status apache2
sudo systemctl status smbd
sudo systemctl status bogofilter
sudo systemctl status spamassassin

But for your printer concerns, I agree with @Condobloke. You may need to open a separate thread for that, especially if you need help with how to compile drivers.

Members online

Latest posts