Impartiality Of Distro Choices Advocated At This Site

The "OP" is beginning to wish the thread had never been started...! I'd no idea Chris was going to pluck my post from its original location and turn it into a thread on its own. Frankly, I'm just embarrassed by it.
No need to be embarrassed or feel any negativity, Mike. I thought it was a great observation and discussion. And it's true... we all have some tendency to promote those things we use ourselves. That's just simple human nature.

But it's always good to re-evaluate whether we can do things better to help new Linux users, individually or collectively. I think everyone here is sincere about helping Linux grow, and helping others learn, each in our own ways. And that's great to see! :cool:

Cheers

I think some have forgotten what Linux is about...Freedom...the freedom to choose and of course the freedom to suggest Distros to beginners who ask.

They may not like what we suggest...then they are free to choose another. It would be a very sad day on this Forum when this Freedom is taken away...what next not allowed to suggest Disk Imaging software...where will it stop.
1713569270725.gif

I use Mint Cinnamon but I wouldn't suggest...Mate or XFce because they are not for me but others may like them...Linux Mint has a large support base but I wouldn't say the Forum was as friendly as this one and I hope that continues.
m1815.gif

The problems we Linuxers have is not only the software, it's the multitude of hardware out there too.

When I got my hand on a 2010 Macbook Pro, I scoured the internet for help (to replace MAC OS with Linux), to no avail. Problem: the owner who threw away that Mac had no ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD, her husband passed away without leaving one, she knew nothing about computer by the way. All the help from the web come to nothing, so when MX helped me complete the task, I felt a pleasure that I want to share with people, to help them in similar situation and save the wasted time like l had to pass thru.

It's like tumbling upon a good book or a good film !

Using this method above, I have observed time and again a new user, someone who joined just minutes earlier or days earlier, viewing the Download Linux page, where a list of 24 distros is kept on this site. I tend to think it is already quite impartial.... heck, it even includes Kali.
Didn't this list used to have Devuan? I thought it did.

I'd no idea Chris was going to pluck my post from its original location and turn it into a thread on its own.

I posted at the thread from which #1 came

OqeJfrO.png

... you put a like at the bottom, but you may have forgotten, as it took me a day or two to follow through :)

I've read all that has been contributed here, and think there are a lot of ideas that have merit, I will add a little more during my Saturday.

Cheers

Wiz

Oh, it's an interesting subject to discuss.

It is my opinion that we don't need any additional rules. If one wants to see change, be the change they want to see. If you want to recommend a distro to new users, go for it - if you legitimately think it's an appropriate distro for their usage.

I have never once removed a comment that recommended a distro to a new user. So, there's that. (I'd love to keep it that way.) If someone suggested Arch, Gentoo, or Kali to a new user, I'm sure others would chime in to ensure the new user had other opinions.

It's also not really a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship under the rulership of Rob. :)

Now, if folks want to reach a consensus on how they choose to respond to those questions that'd be just fine. However, that's their choice and not a rule.

Lubuntu is in that list but Linux.org is actually recognized as an official place to get Lubuntu support. So, there's that.

The list of distros could probably be expanded. There's room on the list for more! ;)

I posted at the thread from which #1 came

OqeJfrO.png

... you put a like at the bottom, but you may have forgotten, as it took me a day or two to follow through :)

I've read all that has been contributed here, and think there are a lot of ideas that have merit, I will add a little more during my Saturday.

Cheers

Wiz
I had forgotten, to be honest. Memory's getting like a sieve these days...........where am I? What IS this place? Why am I here? Who ARE you...???
rofl-small.gif

Mike. :confused:

Not incoherent enough for us to understand, please top up with a few more beers

So, reading the thread, we do have some actionable options.

Specifically, someone could start a new thread asking, "What distros are appropriate for new users, and why."

Then, people could actually read that thread before responding to make sure they're not duplicating another entry. It doesn't take 20 people all saying Mint.

In fact, the first post could mention Mint and nip that right in the bud.

It should probably be placed in 'General Computing' so that we can admonish folks to keep it on-topic.

Also, do we really need rules for this?
Exactly. Talk about over the top !

I usually push people in the direction of Linux Mint.....latest version at that time

Why?....Could not be simpler.

Apart from a few seriously well informed and clever people, most people new to Linux will encounter problems of some type or another.

Which distro has the lions share of informed support?

Linux Mint.

Are we really debating this?....I would have thought we had better things to do.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters who pushes what...beginners will choose what they like and if they choose the wrong one they've only themselves to blame.
1713701621985.gif

I don't think it matters who pushes what...beginners will choose what they like and if they choose the wrong one they've only themselves to blame. View attachment 19503
Exactly, a user asks for recommendations, they get them from who ever posts them, and a user chooses what they want.

If you think someones recommendation is not appropriate to a beginner make your own suggestion and feel free to tell why recommendations of other members are not good if you think so. (in a polite way ofc.)

My favorite distro is #66 on that site.

You would have to be more specific, there are four (4) #66's

vvYDTW9.png

Further, the ones in the right column -

The tables are updated daily at around 30 minutes past midnight GMT.

So that may change in a day.

Cheers

Wizard

I would not say it was irrelevant.

They have this on their Page Hit Ranking Page

If you take that on board, and use something like a 32 GB or 64 GB USB stick and install Ventoy on it, away you go, trying out to see what you like from Distrowatch's Top 20 or Top 50.

I have 3 Kingston sticks - 1x64 GB and 2x32GB for just that purpose.

Cheers and

Avagudweegend
I use Ventoy as well to test distros works like a champ

Staff online

Members online