I have a weird one for you - wireless connectivity issues...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Has anyone had this happen to them?

I live in a very remote area. I have a satellite connection that works well enough for one person, so I generally leave that for the missus. I rely on my cell phone, which is often better than the satellite connection. The missus is also more tolerant of being offline. She consumes content while I create content.

I go a long time between reboots, especially on the system I'm using right now. The system I'm using right now is the one with the weird behavior.

For the life of me, my phone connection wouldn't work. I'd drop packets when I tested a ping. Pages would refuse to load.

So, I fired up another cell phone that's connected to the same wireless network provided by the other cell phone. (Confused yet?)

I ran a speed test and, sure enough, it was in the 5 MB/sec range. I'll take it. That's more than enough for what I do.

Except the computer in question still got timeouts and wouldn't connect. I could connect to the wired connection - the satellite. That worked as well as it ever does.

I figured I'd try rebooting. So, I did. Sure enough, this resolved the problem. I have no idea why.

Has this ever happened to you? Wifi previously worked just fine. Wifi was currently working just fine, just not on this device. Rebooting restored wireless functionality to the right state. There are no more dropped packets. Pages load quickly. Things are going just fine.

I'm not sure why I thought about rebooting. This doesn't sound like a rebooting situation, but it worked. I'm now connected just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I'd swap (fairly regularly) to satellite when the cell wasn't connected and something hung in that department.

Weird for sure, I haven't a clue to what was happening. But want to wish you both a Happy Thanksgiving. How much snow did you get there? we got 1 inch then it rained all day and washed it away.

I have a system that is on wireless to a cisco router. it consistently drops connection even though other systems on that same wireless are fine and stay working. The issue is not internet but the entire wireless network connection for that system. I have tried rebuilding from scratch, I have replaced the wireless adapter and still get the same problem. Sometimes if I turn off the wireless and back on it works again but usually I must reboot to get it back up for a while. It will be stable for a random time then start acting up again. I can't figure mine out either. It used to work perfectly. As a tech I have tried many different combinations and nothing fixes this thing. If you find a solution please share it.

How much snow did you get there?

Not much, four or five inches.

Enjoy your turkey tomorrow! I'll be offline for much of the day, but I'll check in when I can.

I can't figure mine out either.

Right? Mine has been stable for over a month at times. This was the first time I rebooted to fix it.

My usual 'fix' is to just set up a new hotspot on the phone and that seems to work. This time, I decided to check another device and the connectivity was fine. So, I tried the reboot - and it worked.

I have no idea what's going on. The last uptime was about 15 days, so I don't expect it to be a major problem. Still, that's more often than I normally reboot.

Also, this wasn't with Lubuntu. This one was with a Mint system (up to date, of course).

Not much, four or five inches.

Enjoy your turkey tomorrow! I'll be offline for much of the day, but I'll check in when I can.

Right? Mine has been stable for over a month at times. This was the first time I rebooted to fix it.

My usual 'fix' is to just set up a new hotspot on the phone and that seems to work. This time, I decided to check another device and the connectivity was fine. So, I tried the reboot - and it worked.

I have no idea what's going on. The last uptime was about 15 days, so I don't expect it to be a major problem. Still, that's more often than I normally reboot.

Also, this wasn't with Lubuntu. This one was with a Mint system (up to date, of course).
Mine is fedora with same issue so I think it may be kernel related. I can't get more than 3 days out of it. Only one doing it.

I can't get more than 3 days out of it.

Mine was much longer than that. Kernel: 5.15.0-88-generic x86_64 if that matters.

Sometimes my wired & internet show connected but don’t work.
I found an easy solution: boot a computer using Easy, then everything else is up.

I live 40kms from the city...have NBN Fibre 100mbps download speed FTTP and this sometimes happens to me.
t1949.gif

I turn the Computer on (Tower) and get...Connected to the wired network but when I try to open Firefox...Brave or Google Chrome...they wont load.
If I run...
Code:
curl -I https://linuxconfig.org
I get...Connection Established...so I'm on the net...I then have to turn off the Modem for 30 seconds and restart which fixes the problem...my guess is the crappy ISP Modem...maybe time to buy my own new Modem but the ones I've seen don't have the landline port I need.
m1512.gif

This problem doesn't affect my Mobile Phone because I'm with a different ISP...lucky me.
m1212.gif

I then have to turn off the Modem for 30 seconds and restart which fixes the problem...

In my case, I had to restart the computer. The connection worked just fine on another device while I couldn't even ping without dropping packets on the computer's end.

Weird...

I found an easy solution: boot a computer using Easy, then everything else is up.

I've only had it happen in Mint. So, there's that, I suppose.

Members online