I can't install Linux on my laptop

Hello again everyone. I have done the checksums process on the MX-AHS iso file. (I wanted to do it on the ubuntu iso, but it was too large to fit on my USB and transfer to the other computer). I downloaded gtkhash and used it to carry out the process. The checksums do not match. So what does that mean? Could all three iso files (ubuntu, manjaro and MX) really be corrupted? What could cause that to happen?

3, possibilities
a corrupt download
a bad write/burn to the USB pen-drive [ if you used Rufus then try Balena-etcher]
a worn or poor quality Pen-drive

you need to be damn unlucky to download 3 corrupted ISO's my best bet is a bad write/burn of the ISO to the Pen-drive

I didn't test the USB drive. I tested the iso file in my downloads folder (before burning). How do I test the file after it has been burned?

Update: I've just booted both ubuntu 22.04 and XM-AHS from my USBs on the other laptop (the old one), so it can't be a problem with the USBs or iso files.

Last edited:
OK so now we are getting somewhere.
check that you have disabled both Windows quick start and windows secure boot [usualy in the BIOS] and have done a cold power restart [if you do not know how to do this in windows then go for a motherboard purge, press and hold the on button down for 60 seconds]
Put the usb in to a free port, switch on the machine and open the short boot menu [ this may be trial and error as there are 3 possibilities on an acer ESC, F2, or F12] I would try F12 first jiggling the key whilst switching the power on,
If all goes well select the USB from the list of available drive and enter, it should start to install to ram for testing

Still doesn't work. Could it be that I need to update my BIOS to a newer version? The version I have is INSYDE Corp. V1.00, apparently. I'm not sure where to download newer versions from, if that is indeed what I need to do. Various sites tell me I need to go to the 'drivers and manuals' page on the Acer website, but that page no longer exists.

Here's some information on contacting Acer:

NEW Take advantage of the convenience of texting us for support!

SMS: 1-877-220-2321

Available 5AM-2AM CST

Live Chat: (Available 5AM-2AM CST - US and Canada): Click to Chat

Phone: 1-866-695-2237

Available 24/7 - US and Canada

Here's the page with Drivers and Manuals on Acer's website.

No. If you actually type in the serial number or the model it just comes up with links to pages that have nothing to do with drivers.
Really? I will call Acer and see what the rep that you speak with has to say.

He may be able to give you an exact url that can lead you to a BIOS upgrade for your pc.

Hello. I have a new laptop and want to install Linux and dual boot with Windows 11. I tried installing Ubuntu 22.04 with a bootable USB but that didn't work. I could see the contents of the USB when I inserted it into my other laptop which already has Ubuntu 22.04, but when I inserted it on Windows 11 it wouldn't display the contents and said 'you need to format the disk before you can use it' and then that the drive's file system is not recognised. I then tried burning Manjaro onto a DVD and installing it but that didn't work either. I have managed to get up to the initial boot screen (the one where it gives you option to set the date and keyboard layout). I have tried selecting both 'boot with open source drivers' and 'boot with proprietary drivers' but neither of these options work. The screen goes blank then I am brought back to the screen with the options. Please note that I am not a software expert, so please post any replies in plain English.
hello Woody728, i was having the complete same propblem has you and after i found your post here i did a bios update by asking to acer tech the link to the update i was on bios 1.00 now updated to bios 1.52 and i can install ubuntu 20.04 and i can try it too so maybe if you do a bios update
here is the link : https://www.acer.com/ae-en/support/product-support/Aspire_A515-48M/downloads?suggest=A515-48M;0

Hello, everyone. I'm typing this comment from my wonderful new Linux OS. The problem was indeed that I needed to upgrade my BIOS. Thank you all for your help.

Staff online

Members online