Solved I against I

Solved issue

Disabled

Reaction score
Credits
Hello there!
This is a second time when I'm on a Linux forum.
I run Linux still today, although it give me headaches from time to time.
Funny when I think about it, when I bought my first PC, I got a LInux operation system on a CD. Friends told me back then, this is not for you. And was true, but was stubborn and later
I installed Ubuntu side by side. Later I gave up Ubuntu for Mint and because back then was no support for Linux what so ever I step back to Windows. As for 2013 I think I run Linux as
my daily, and learnt not much since then, so I'm more as a beginner :rolleyes:, so don't be too harsh on me, is the work, the music and playing games what kept me to learn about Linux, but
also I'm a sort of slacker. That was bit about me and Linux.

Over the years I kept following/watching Linux users(let's put it that way) on YouTube and donated from time to time.
One guy(or more then one) said.. Linux can do anything.
So TODAY, because I think I'm going crazy with let's say.. my own problems, I came here to ask you IF Linux can do anything.

First THE issue.
I can't run older games with newer drivers(Nvidia) or older drivers with newer games.
Is not entirely accurate what I just said, is more like some do run but very sluggish or they don't run at all or because of the driver.. the launcher gets bricked or how an error 'spelt
it out' Could not initialize display hardware

The only solution apparently is to install Linux on two different hard drives(ssd) with two different Nvidia drivers, no?
But WHAT IF.. Linux can do anything !
Came to me ONE idea..
Can I install one driver on one kernel and another version on the other kernel ?
This is the BIG question I have for you guys, or at least big for me o_O
If Linux can do that.. omg

Linux to me is like thinking, dreaming, tinkering(if you're able to), like a song.. like the song Float from Jude Shuma
Sounds bit odd?
Just like the headline of my thread,
I against I, odd?
It's more like My crazy mind against I, or vice versa :(

Anyhow, I will thank you and long live Linux

Moved to the Gaming sub-forum, where it is more appropriate and might get the right atttention.

G'day Disabled, Welcome to Linux.org

I could be wrong (and I have been....once or twice...)...but It seems to me that you could download and install both drivers to the same SSD.....and then when you pick one game to play, the appropriate driver will jump into action and the game will play....
When you pick the other game, the other driver wiull jump into action and play that one....
or am I just dreaming ?? that's happened before today.

I am no gamer....have zero clues in that area. But, in the ordinary course of events there are many drivers loaded onto an OS....for many different purposes.....and it is the actual app that makes the choice .

That's my two and sixpence ha'penny's worth

Lets wait and see what the gamer guys have to say

First THE issue.
I can't run older games with newer drivers(Nvidia) or older drivers with newer games.
I don't think it's driver issue but runner issue, had same issue with older game and solution was using different runner.

Please share your gaming setup, what software do you use to play games?

the appropriate driver will jump into action and the game will play....
I love how you put it, so it is a app who make that choice? Never heard of that, name please?
but It seems to me that you could download and install both drivers to the same SSD
On windows yes, done that with different drivers from different companies, like one from AMD and the other Nvidia, but rumors
says it will generate a conflict. Don't wanna do that and don't think it is possible on Linux.
When you upgrade the driver, it gets removed(not purged) or happens some sort of overwritten :rolleyes:
That's why I don't like updates and upgrades. You don't know what will happen, like what happened to me with the latest Nvidia
driver 550.54.14 o_O.. the install wizard(don't know who) broke 'the system', so I had to go into recovery and fix the broken packages from there.
Later I got a notification, after I launched a game saying.. The game does not support running on your current hardware
or software specifications

OMG said to myself, what have I done.. :eek:
or am I just dreaming ?? that's happened before today.
Hardware is my world, Linux is my home and music I love the most above all.
You have to dream right and decomplicate things when somebody or something do that to you/for you.
You know what's the worse thing I heard about Linux told by a YouTuber.. it is the eating software operation system
How much software is actually tested, I wonder..

Please share your gaming setup, what software do you use to play games?
Gaming setup? like hardware?
If software is.. I only play via Steam and Proton.
Few years ago I managed to run 2 games 'with the help of PlayOnLinux' and YouTube.
Also back then I tried CodeWeavers, ended up being disappointed :confused:. I know that is a big name in Linux Gaming but it was actually too much for me. How I suppose to know what a bottle means.. not to mention what
the other things are. Same thing with Lutris when it came as a tool to help you install and run things.
I have Lutris and Wine installed, but to no help.
75% of all games I like, are on Steam.

I don't think it's driver issue but runner issue
Sorry have to ask :( What is a runner? Is like a bottle where you put/set all the ingredients or a executable file
like in windows?
If is not a driver issue, tell me then why Doom didn't want to start with the 550.54.14 driver?
It works for him but not for me..
Screenshot from 2024-03-11 19-38-37.png

Same software.. like Distro, Kernel, Proton and GPU Driver
But different hardware, and what I think is the GPU. Although the GTX 1060Ti is weaker then 1080Ti or 1080
it plays better Cyberpunk 2077, due to some newer DX12.
I suppose Proton 8.0-5 uses similar software 'to match' that newer DX12 and works for him.
The moment I used an older driver(470.199.02) with the same 8.0-5 Proton, the game just worked fantastic,
like always has. Or I am crazy.. I mean I can record my desktop, if you don't believe it :confused:

I have Lutris and Wine installed, but to no help.
Having them installed is not enough to make any game run, sometimes you need to adjust settings as well.

Which wine version are you using in Lutris to play games?

How I suppose to know what a bottle means.. not to mention what
the other things are
Bottles are wine prefixes if I'm correct. less playing games and more care to know your gaming setup please! :)

If software is.. I only play via Steam and Proton.
Sadly can't help with that, I play GOG games only, no DRM.

75% of all games I like, are on Steam.
Doesn't matter you can play steam games in Lutris AFAIK.

Sorry have to ask :( What is a runner? Is like a bottle where you put/set all the ingredients or a executable file
like in windows?
yes, wine is just one example of a runner.

If is not a driver issue, tell me then why Doom didn't want to start with the 550.54.14 driver?
I don't know who is Doom, but I have some 50 games and they all run here with most recent driver, only thing I need is custom setup for some games to make them run because default setup doesn't work for all games.

I currently don't have a working PC, but the one I was using before had an Nvidia gpu. I was able to play both Doom and Doom Eternal using Proton(Steam Play). Would be more helpful if you described what launch options you are using, what Proton version and what happens when you try to launch it.
And read through the Official Proton Github issues or post proton launch/debug log files.

Sadly can't help with that, I play GOG games only, no DRM.
Well you have to be "proud" of yourself, to have only DRM-free games.
Back then when I really-really started with Linux, GOG had a very tiny library of games and because I tried
to avoid banks I looked to Steam. I already had an account and Steam had two big advantages. To buy games
with cash and a very promising future towards Linux gaming. So I 'created' a home being Linux+Steam.
I looked today 'to check' again.. what games they have and the library has grown...still :( ONLY around 35%
of games I already ""own"" on Steam.. I can buy/repurchase now/today...to what, to play DRM-free?
I heard that DRM cause a lot of issues and the most of them are 'old' or are not to my taste.
Today at GOG I noticed something new(to me).. a way to buy with cash via a 'virtual bank' but I saw something
what I have to share with you guys/gamers, just look at THIS
Screenshot from 2024-03-12 22-29-04.png

I said WOW... GOG, It can't be real :oops:, something'goin on there at Sony.. tell you that.

Doesn't matter you can play steam games in Lutris AFAIK.
Yeah, I know that too, but I found no documentation ON HOW to 'put the pieces together' or what is 'potential'
good for a game, or what is for example a Wrapper or a Environment Variable o_O .. as I was trying to make Red Dead Redemption 2 to work, via Heroic Games Launcher.

I don't know who is Doom
I don't know either, but I do know who THIS guy is.

described what launch options you are using, what Proton version and what happens when you try to launch it
I was using none, when I played the game back in 2019-2020.
Screenshot from 2024-03-13 21-49-11.png

As for 'today' almost all what I could possible find on protondb, as well as almost all proton releases above
4.2-9 the GE-Proton too and nothing had worked. So I thought well, what is going on here..NOW..TODAY. Who's guilty? the culprit..
Proton do not get changed that much over time, as a system(OS) do, a kernel or the graphic driver.
So aiming towards the graphic driver as the culprit, was more then a hunch ;)
I love hardware, and I do know what my GPU is capable of, as you most likely know your RTX 3090, no

Did @CaffeineAddict paid any attention to what I said about the the GTX 1660Ti vs 1080Ti/1080 ? nope, did you? no.. Never mind and is no problem.
So when I put the 470.199.02(release date June 2023) I saw an improvement in other games, some were gone
crazy, but Doom was working man..
Couldn't let the system like that, because of ReadDead 2 for example. Starting the game broke the launcher, so
it was rebuild after I reinstalled the newest driver.
After that, I tried 2 releases of 535.xxx with no success, thinking in between what are you doing man, you have
to downgrade everything
. And I said to myself, no.. you have a "new operation system" up to date.. :oops:
I will actually make it faster o_O, so I installed the 'all mighty' Xanmod kernel, and the 525.147.05 Nvidia driver.
With this driver, was kind of hunch.. maybe luck, but the miracle has arrived. Voilà !
Everything is working now Doom included, and better, faster, smoother..
I made a snapshot is a 2k pic, playing back in 2019 had something like 100 to 120 fps and sometimes 80 to 90.. now you can see in that pic a big difference. Actually Doom was fast OTB..

what happens when you try to launch it
It freezes before the menu, in the menu when you push the new slot/campaign button, in that intro with that red
sign or after he wakes up in that sarcophagus. One Proton was worse then other, and with one Nvidia driver was like.. you push the steam play button and after a second it stops, like a very fast reset, in some instances the game did not launch at all, was just hanging there doing nothing.

So you can realize is no need for tweaking, not for this title. The tweaking have already been done, successfully.
Do you think Steam had invested in vain? Although Linux gaming is small, later came the Steam deck what is
'the fruit' of that investment. They had to go this route.. Proton has to function, must function.. otherwise their
Deck is close to nothing.
GOG good! no DRM super! no internet needed MUCH BETTER ! really own the games EXTRAORDINARY !
But what man.. what to buy :confused:

So I will set this thread as SOLVED, although I came here with a unrelated question to gaming.
Turned out for the best, the system was pretty unstable with those two drivers.. directly from Pop_Os.
Still have to clean the system.. junk, residuals, unwanted software or to no use.

Members online