How To Use Smartmontools

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Hot off the press, just published this article for smartmontools.

Linux Man Page for smartctl:

Your article is much more thorough than mine.

Also, I noticed I used "SDD" instead of "SSD". I need to go fix that.

The design and layout are looking much better, though I still have one suggestion. If possible, you might want to consider making the code more distinguishable. I have no idea what the WIX WYSIWYG editor looks like, but they often have some sort of code tags available.

That would help your readers process the information more easily, and be less tiring on the eyes as it provides contrast.

Are you allowed to insert your own JavaScript? If so, I'd add Microsoft's Clarity for a month or two, so that you can visualize what people do on your site and optimize for that. I found that so helpful when doing mine. I've since removed the code, as I don't feel it is still needed. It was very educational, however.

Thanks for the heads up Alexzee. Here, also on debian, systemd starts smartmontools:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ systemctl status smartmontools.service
● smartmontools.service - Self Monitoring and Reporting Technolo>
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smartmontools.service; >
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2023-06-30 08:02:45 AEST>
       Docs: man:smartd(8)
             man:smartd.conf(5)
   Main PID: 611 (smartd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 9416)
     Memory: 4.4M
        CPU: 119ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/smartmontools.service
             └─611 /usr/sbin/smartd -n
<snip>

On the need to explain how the -l is a small L, (and perhaps how to obviate it) it may be of interest to look into fonts that make that small L entirely clear. Fonts are a matter of aesthetics I guess, but, without making any recommendation, perhaps have a look at how the clarity is made in DejaVu Sans Mono, where the small L is quite clear with a curve at the bottom of the downstroke. Just a thought, YMMV.

Last edited:
Since switching to SSDs I'm not that paranoid about that now...I have smartmontools installed and can run some commands in the Terminal or check my SSD with Disks.
m1213.gif

Your article is much more thorough than mine.

Also, I noticed I used "SDD" instead of "SSD". I need to go fix that.

The design and layout are looking much better, though I still have one suggestion. If possible, you might want to consider making the code more distinguishable. I have no idea what the WIX WYSIWYG editor looks like, but they often have some sort of code tags available.

That would help your readers process the information more easily, and be less tiring on the eyes as it provides contrast.

Are you allowed to insert your own JavaScript? If so, I'd add Microsoft's Clarity for a month or two, so that you can visualize what people do on your site and optimize for that. I found that so helpful when doing mine. I've since removed the code, as I don't feel it is still needed. It was very educational, however.

I'll have to open the Wix Editor and see if there is a way to make the code more noticeable and look through the font choices.
I may not be able to change it, IDK.
The Wix Editor is still new to me and they recently changed it so I'm not sure if I can insert my own Java Script.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the heads up Alexzee. Here, also on debian, systemd starts smartmontools:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ systemctl status smartmontools.service
● smartmontools.service - Self Monitoring and Reporting Technolo>
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smartmontools.service; >
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2023-06-30 08:02:45 AEST>
       Docs: man:smartd(8)
             man:smartd.conf(5)
   Main PID: 611 (smartd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 9416)
     Memory: 4.4M
        CPU: 119ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/smartmontools.service
             └─611 /usr/sbin/smartd -n
<snip>

On the need to explain how the -l is a small L, (and perhaps how to obviate it) it may be of interest to look into fonts that make that small L entirely clear. Fonts are a matter of aesthetics I guess, but, without making any recommendation, perhaps have a look at how the clarity is made in DejaVu Sans Mono, where the small L is quite clear with a curve at the bottom of the downstroke. Just a thought, YMMV.
You're welcome.
I'll see if the Wix Editor gives me that font as a choice....thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions.

You're welcome. Please understand that I do so with the hope that you succeed and with the goal of helping you make your site better for your viewers.

You may find that Wix uses 'markdown'. If that's the case, you can indent like 5 blank characters or wrap the text in ` tags (using that punctuation at the start and at the end, which is hard here as this site supports some markdown) or maybe the code tags (surrounded by [ code] and [ /code] tags work - without the space, obviously.

Other than that, your site is a zillion times better than it first was. It's not confusing, the colors are clear, the layout is easy on the eyes, etc...

Also, if you want to attract search engine traffic there are headers you can use. My H3 headers always include the key words I'm aiming for, as was in the title, and as was in the first sentence. Google cares about that sort of stuff.

But, lots of sites rank just fine without using headers to separate sections. So, take that one with a grain of salt. I can generate a Wix account and dig around, if you'd like. I ain't scared.

Again, the site is tons better than it was. You've made some great improvements.

You're welcome. Please understand that I do so with the hope that you succeed and with the goal of helping you make your site better for your viewers.

You may find that Wix uses 'markdown'. If that's the case, you can indent like 5 blank characters or wrap the text in ` tags (using that punctuation at the start and at the end, which is hard here as this site supports some markdown) or maybe the code tags (surrounded by [ code] and [ /code] tags work - without the space, obviously.

Other than that, your site is a zillion times better than it first was. It's not confusing, the colors are clear, the layout is easy on the eyes, etc...

Also, if you want to attract search engine traffic there are headers you can use. My H3 headers always include the key words I'm aiming for, as was in the title, and as was in the first sentence. Google cares about that sort of stuff.

But, lots of sites rank just fine without using headers to separate sections. So, take that one with a grain of salt. I can generate a Wix account and dig around, if you'd like. I ain't scared.

Again, the site is tons better than it was. You've made some great improvements.
I understand and appreciate the assistance your giving me. Having a successful Linux Blog is important to me, I just have some learning along the way to go.
I'll have a look at the Wix Editor over the weekend.

No stress, if you have the time take a look at Wix, create an account and have a go at it.
Enjoy the weekend, brother.

Enjoy the weekend, brother.

The 24 hour race at one of my favorite tracks (Spa-Francorchamps) starts up in a couple of hours. It'll be a pretty good weekend.

How do I run smartmontools?

Simple. I install GSmartCtl.....and let that run it for me!

I puzzle a lot of Linux users. Despite running it for at least 10 years, I go near the terminal only when I actually have a pressing need to do so. A quarter-century's usage of Windows prior to that had lasting effects; I like my GUIs.

An' I'm allergic to walls of text...! :p

Mike. ;)

Despite running it for at least 10 years, I go near the terminal only when I actually have a pressing need to do so.

I have at least three terminals open at all times.

Some of my earliest computing was done on a terminal, but I didn't actually appreciate it very much. Today, I use the terminal for all sorts of things. To be fair, one is pretty much just used for the articles I write and I just don't close it. I may sometimes use that when I need to SSH into a second device.

I have at least three terminals open at all times.

Some of my earliest computing was done on a terminal, but I didn't actually appreciate it very much. Today, I use the terminal for all sorts of things. To be fair, one is pretty much just used for the articles I write and I just don't close it. I may sometimes use that when I need to SSH into a second device.
I'm not fond of Vi but I'll use it. Prefer Nano.
What text editor do you prefer?

What text editor do I prefer? Easy.....Geany, every time. Because it's also a fully-fledged IDE into the bargain.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

I'm a Nano kinda guy. LOL I have whole articles about Nano and enjoy using it quite a bit.

If I'm using a GUI, I prefer Featherpad. I just want something light and Featherpad has some great features.

I'm a Nano kinda guy. LOL I have whole articles about Nano and enjoy using it quite a bit.

If I'm using a GUI, I prefer Featherpad. I just want something light and Featherpad has some great features.
I'm with you on nano. Trying to remember all the keys and what's shown in the tutorial for Vi ain't my thing.
I looked for Featherpad in my Mint Software Manager....cool, it's QT based.

As long as I see Passed I'm good.
m1212.gif

2023-07-03-11-25.png

Members online