how to revert lm_sensor changes?

zeeshisthebest

Reaction score
Credits
Hello fellas,
Two weeks ago i installed lm-sensors in my lenovo ideapad 3, since then the cpu fan is stuck on low speed. it is not increasing RPM and causing the laptop to overheat. I uninstalled it and also purged the data but no luck. Even if i boot to Windows 10 (my machine is dual boot) it is stuck at that same low speed.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

lm-sensors shouldn't actually change values - just report them.

As it's stuck the same way in Windows, I'd look to hardware issues - perhaps a fan that's faulty, a connection that's faulty, or maybe it just needs to be cleaned.

Either way, lm-sensors shouldn't be the cause/culprit.

lm-sensors shouldn't actually change values - just report them.

As it's stuck the same way in Windows, I'd look to hardware issues - perhaps a fan that's faulty, a connection that's faulty, or maybe it just needs to be cleaned.

Either way, lm-sensors shouldn't be the cause/culprit.
Thanks for your reply, but i did clean the fins and also the problem started right after that so i thought it might have caused it.

Is the package fancontrol installed and/or of any use?
Is the fan module from ACPI inserted? E.g.: dmesg | grep fan ?
That should be: lsmod |grep fan!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, i only installed lm-sensors and ran sensor-detect command afterwards. I am not a pro linux user just switched to it from windows recently so i just followed a tutorial..
Is the package fancontrol installed and/or of any use?
Is the fan module from ACPI inserted? E.g.: dmesg | grep fan ?

With it happening in both Windows and in Linux, it's likely not a software problem. It's almost certainly not a software problem, in fact.

Hmm... You could check your BIOS to see if something's amiss - some sort of power stepping CPU/fan settings in the BIOS/UEFI

With it happening in both Windows and in Linux, it's likely not a software problem. It's almost certainly not a software problem, in fact.

Hmm... You could check your BIOS to see if something's amiss - some sort of power stepping CPU/fan settings in the BIOS/UEFI
I did try resetting bios too still no help. Maybe i need to see the repair shop

Just as another check to see if it's likely to be a hardware problem, have you been able to manipulate the fan speed with an MS program that's able to do it like SpeedFan (if they still use that)? I guess a "repair man" might go for that early in the investigation anyway.

Just as another check to see if it's likely to be a hardware problem, have you been able to manipulate the fan speed with an MS program that's able to do it like SpeedFan (if they still use that)? I guess a "repair man" might go for that early in the investigation anyway.
I tried speedfan and HWiNFO, speedfan didn't detect it (it also couldn't detect it when everything was working fine so nothing strange) but the other app showed fan status to be okay and some rpm. Although it didn't let me change the speed.

Maybe i need to see the repair shop

It has been a while since I built my own, but I seem to recall that variable speed fans require a third pin-out on the motherboard. Perhaps due to heat cycling, vibration, or even tin whiskers, it has ceased functioning.

As lm-sensors simply has no mechanism to alter this behavior. It reads sensors, not edits them. That and, well, fan sensors don't have things like firmware that can be updated or anything like that.

These may be helpful.

Okay so first of all thanks to you all @Bartman @forester @KGIII @NorthWest. I re-installed lm sensors following the given links and afterwards I again purged data and removed it. Then, took off the fan and heatsink, cleaned and reapplied the thermal paste. I also checked the fan by connecting it directly to the compatible power supply and it ran correctly at full speed. VOILA!!! now it is working fine and varying the speed. :)
278032780_534861801384282_3738127463934988405_n.jpg

Yup. I figured it'd be hardware related. Good job on getting it sorted.

super moderator glorified janitor

There... I fixed it for you. :cool:

There's a lot that I don't know - but if it's happening in both Windows and Linux - and it previously wasn't happening - it might just be a hardware issue.

Heat cycles, environmental conditions, vibrations, and age (things like growing tin whiskers) are all prime causes for hardware problems. It's just one of those things that happens, even though you'll sometimes come across hardware that's 15 years old and still running just fine.

Anyhow, stick around - if you want. We have a ton of content from some pretty smart people.

There... I fixed it for you. :cool:

There's a lot that I don't know - but if it's happening in both Windows and Linux - and it previously wasn't happening - it might just be a hardware issue.

Heat cycles, environmental conditions, vibrations, and age (things like growing tin whiskers) are all prime causes for hardware problems. It's just one of those things that happens, even though you'll sometimes come across hardware that's 15 years old and still running just fine.

Anyhow, stick around - if you want. We have a ton of content from some pretty smart people.
yea, i wish someone could have created hardwares that would never fail :p

yeah, there's always something to learn!

For better or worse, electronic devices are consumables. They will eventually fail.

Newer hardware is actually more reliable. Though someone may pop in and point out that they're still using some old hardware, their old hardware is a statistical outlier.

Alas, what modern hardware seems to lack is repairability. Man, I'd hate to tear down my modern laptops. If they start exhibiting signs of failure, they're going right into an e-waste receptacle (probably having removed the drive and maybe the RAM).

For better or worse, electronic devices are consumables. They will eventually fail.

Newer hardware is actually more reliable. Though someone may pop in and point out that they're still using some old hardware, their old hardware is a statistical outlier.

Alas, what modern hardware seems to lack is repairability. Man, I'd hate to tear down my modern laptops. If they start exhibiting signs of failure, they're going right into an e-waste receptacle (probably having removed the drive and maybe the RAM).
packages are getting so dense and compact that it's better to get the new one. Business tactics XD

I've seen edge connectors on laptops oxidize before and create problems.
I've pulled many sticks of memory and re-seated them to get them to work.
Laptops are susseptable to all kinds of problems due to the fact they are carried in different environments by their users.

Members online