HOW TO INSTALL PYGPT ON LINUX?

Well, that's hard to describe in text.
Several lines.
First says 'total 152'.

Then lots of repeated emanatepresence with dates and some seemingly locations like 'bash history ', cache, config, Desktop, Documents, etc.

The last two lines end with .x session-error.

INTERNET CONNECTION KEEPS DROPPING. LOST THE TEXT I HAD TYPED.

Well, that's hard to describe in text.
Several lines.
First says 'total 152'.

Then lots of repeated emanatepresence with dates and some seemingly locations like 'bash history ', cache, config, Desktop, Documents, etc.

The last two lines end with .x session-error....

Screenshot shows dropped at forum server end, but I have had issues all week.

Here is text translated from small section of first of two screenshots:

emanatepresence @Higher Thought Pad: ~ $
total 152
-a~/
dr wxr
-X-- -
dr wxr
Xr - x
- r W-r-- r- -
emanat epres enc e
e manat epres ence
root
root
emanat epres ence
emanat epres ence
emanarepresence emanar enresence
emanar epresence emanar enresence
3 8 31
May
Apr
MAV 15
Ap r
Ma y
18: 04
16: 07 13:09
16: 07
13 19: 30
  • bash_history
  • bash_logout
  • bashr c

Attachments

• IMG_3183.png
    IMG_3183.png
    258 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

That's the information I want to know. I want to know if you have a .local directory.

The errors I find concerning. I think you may have some underlying condition(s) that are preventing your system from working normally.

That's the information I want to know. I want to know if you have a .local directory.

The errors I find concerning. I think you may have some underlying condition(s) that are preventing your system from working normally.

What can be done about it?

What can be done about it?

Frankly, that I do not know. Your system appears broken in ways that confuse and confuddle me.

But, can you confirm if .local is in the list of files when you run ls -la ~/?

If you can conform that, the next command I'd want you to run would be ls -la ~/.local. In that case, you'd be looking for the /bin (binary files) directory. That's where pygpt should exist.

But, I want to see what you've actually got. So, run that command and either paste all of the output into a comment reply or at least look to see if .local exists on your system.

You may have hosed things bad enough that starting from scratch is your only realistic option, unless you have reasonable backups.

Frankly, that I do not know. Your system appears broken in ways that confuse and confuddle me.

If you can conform that, the next command I'd want you to run would be ls -la ~/.local. In that case, you'd be looking for the /bin (binary files) directory. That's where pygpt should exist.

But, I want to see what you've actually got. So, run that command and either paste all of the output into a comment reply or at least look to see if .local exists on your system.

You may have hosed things bad enough that starting from scratch is your only realistic option, unless you have reasonable backups.

[But, can you confirm if .local is in the list of files when you run ls -la ~/?]

Yes, .local is in the list of files.
I see only two lines with errors, they are at the very end and dated May 15. One ends with .xsession-errors and the other .xsession-errors.old

[If you can conform that, the next command I'd want you to run would be ls -la ~/.local. In that case, you'd be looking for the /bin (binary files) directory. That's where pygpt should exist.]

No, /bin does not appear.
Under that command run, it says 'total 20' and there are five lines including 'lib, share, and state'.

Should I be able to copy and paste in Terminal? It has not allowed me to.

What's the output from ls -la ~/.local?

And, yes, you should be able to copy/paste from the terminal. You should also use the code tags here.

Like so:

Code:
$  ls ~/.local/bin
activate-global-python-argcomplete  mid3v2            pripngtopam
chardetect                          moggsplit         prirowpng
coverage                            mraptor           priweavepng
coverage3                           msodde            __pycache__
coverage-3.10                       msoffcrypto-tool  pygmentize
distro                              mutagen-inspect   pylupdate5
docx2txt                            mutagen-pony      pyproject-build
dumppdf.py                          netaddr           pyrcc5
duplicity                           normalizer        py.test
extract_msg                         olebrowse         pytest
eyeD3                               oledir            python-argcomplete-check-easy-install-script
ezhexviewer                         olefile           python-argcomplete-tcsh
f2py                                oleid             pyuic5
filetype                            olemap            pyxswf
ftguess                             olemeta           qr
futurize                            oleobj            readelf.py
get_company.py                      oletimes          register-python-argcomplete
get_first_company.py                olevba            rtfobj
get_first_movie.py                  pasteurize        runxlrd.py
get_first_person.py                 pcodedmp          s32cinemagoer.py
get_keyword.py                      pdf2txt.py        search_company.py
get_movie_list.py                   pip               search_keyword.py
get_movie.py                        pip3              search_movie.py
get_person.py                       pip3.10           search_person.py
get_top_bottom_movies.py            pipgui            tabulate
imdbpy                              pip_search        textract
imdbpy2sql.py                       prichunkpng       tldextract
isort                               pricolpng         unidecode
isort-identify-imports              priditherpng      vba_extract.py
keyring                             priforgepng       vizex
latin2ascii.py                      prigreypng        vizexdf
mako-render                         pripalpng         vizextree
markdown-it                         pripamtopng       yt-dlp
mid3cp                              priplan9topng
mid3iconv                           pripnglsch

Another option to help you track down pygpt would be to try:
Bash:
sudo updatedb
That will update the hashed database used by the locate command.
Then run:
Bash:
locate pygpt
That will list all files on your system that contain pygpt anywhere in the name/path.

What's the output from ls -la ~/.local?

And, yes, you should be able to copy/paste from the terminal. You should also use the code tags here.

Like so:

Code:
$  ls ~/.local/bin
activate-global-python-argcomplete  mid3v2            pripngtopam
chardetect                          moggsplit         prirowpng
coverage                            mraptor           priweavepng
coverage3                           msodde            __pycache__
coverage-3.10                       msoffcrypto-tool  pygmentize
distro                              mutagen-inspect   pylupdate5
docx2txt                            mutagen-pony      pyproject-build
dumppdf.py                          netaddr           pyrcc5
duplicity                           normalizer        py.test
extract_msg                         olebrowse         pytest
eyeD3                               oledir            python-argcomplete-check-easy-install-script
ezhexviewer                         olefile           python-argcomplete-tcsh
f2py                                oleid             pyuic5
filetype                            olemap            pyxswf
ftguess                             olemeta           qr
futurize                            oleobj            readelf.py
get_company.py                      oletimes          register-python-argcomplete
get_first_company.py                olevba            rtfobj
get_first_movie.py                  pasteurize        runxlrd.py
get_first_person.py                 pcodedmp          s32cinemagoer.py
get_keyword.py                      pdf2txt.py        search_company.py
get_movie_list.py                   pip               search_keyword.py
get_movie.py                        pip3              search_movie.py
get_person.py                       pip3.10           search_person.py
get_top_bottom_movies.py            pipgui            tabulate
imdbpy                              pip_search        textract
imdbpy2sql.py                       prichunkpng       tldextract
isort                               pricolpng         unidecode
isort-identify-imports              priditherpng      vba_extract.py
keyring                             priforgepng       vizex
latin2ascii.py                      prigreypng        vizexdf
mako-render                         pripalpng         vizextree
markdown-it                         pripamtopng       yt-dlp
mid3cp                              priplan9topng
mid3iconv                           pripnglsch

The codes look helpful, thanks.

Terminal has not let me copy / paste. Any ideas why?

The developer wrote and I will study:

Hi Gary,

All installation instructions are in the documentation: https://pygpt.readthedocs.io/en/latest/requirements.html

If you have installed PyGPT via PyPi (using pip install pygpt-net), simply activate your created virtual environment, for example:

source venv/bin/activate

After that, just enter the following command into the terminal:

pygpt

This command will start the application.

Hope this helps ;)

Best regards,

Marcin

You've added a space between the hyphen and the t. it's -type f, with no spaces after the hyphen
Thank you for this tip! I've been aware of spacing, non-spaces in general, and paying close attention...with double checking, but could have missed something.

Bash:
sudo updatedb
Then run:
Bash:
locate pygpt
That will list all files on your system that contain pygpt anywhere in the name/path.

Thank you. I need to keep a book on all these commands! It's been 40 years or so since I was a DOS wizard, and was on just an iPad the last ten, so this is well an adventure for me.

<From the installation instructions, I followed the second way. Actually, first I downloaded the archive, but then didn't know how to extract (can someone share for my future reference?).>

Linux (64-bit)

The application is available for 64-bit Linux in the form of an archive with all required dependencies. Just download the archive from the download page and extract it. Then run the application by running the pygpt binary file in the root directory.

Python version

The second way to run is to download the source code from GitHub and run the application using the Python interpreter (>=3.10, <3.12). You can also install application from PyPi (using pip install) and we recommend this type of installation.

<That is what I followed, first installed PIP then ran the command per instructions.>

Now I will study about the virtual environment....

When I followed the venv instructions, two failure messages appeared:

<<"Not created because ensurepip is not available. Install python3 venv using ....>>

Then, after following that, up came:

<<Unable to locate package python3>>

If I miss something in writing instructions here, well, I have been very careful to have exact when typing in Terminal. Terminal does not let me copy / paste.

I am stuck again. Can anyone help? I apparently need to locate or install python3.

For anyone who finds screenshots helpful, they are attached. I see the need to be careful when sending attachments, as sometimes more than intended were sent.
You've added a space between the hyphen and the t. it's -type f, with no spaces after the hyphen

Attachments

• UNABLE TO LOCATE PACKAGE PYTHON3.png
    UNABLE TO LOCATE PACKAGE PYTHON3.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 23
  • VENV VENV FAILED.png
    VENV VENV FAILED.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 22
The codes look helpful, thanks.

Terminal has not let me copy / paste. Any ideas why?

The developer wrote and I will study:

Hi Gary,

All installation instructions are in the documentation: https://pygpt.readthedocs.io/en/latest/requirements.html

If you have installed PyGPT via PyPi (using pip install pygpt-net), simply activate your created virtual environment, for example:

source venv/bin/activate

After that, just enter the following command into the terminal:

pygpt

This command will start the application.

Hope this helps ;)

Best regards,

Marcin

source venv/bin/activate

returns bash: venv/bin/activate: No such file or directory

After running ' pip install pygpt - net '

It sees that PyAudio requirement is satisfied.

It seems to acknowledge python3

Attachments

• PIP INSTALL PYGPT - NET 001.png
    PIP INSTALL PYGPT - NET 001.png
    387.1 KB · Views: 28
  • PIP INSTALL PYGPT-NET.png
    PIP INSTALL PYGPT-NET.png
    372.7 KB · Views: 22
Bash:
sudo updatedb
Then run:
Bash:
locate pygpt

That returned several screens, first and last in screenshots attached.

Main path seems to include this:

/home/emanatepresence/.local/lib/python3. 10/site-packages/pygpt_net-2.2.19.dist-info/. (RECORD, REQUESTED, WHEEL, etc.)

What does this tell us?
LOCATE PYGPT END.pngLOCATE PYGPT PWORD REMOVED FIRST SCREEN.png

Do you have any suggestions what I can do from here?

Marcin wrote about activating a created virtual environment, can you help me with that?

I don't know how I hosed anything by exactly following instructions.

I don't know how I hosed anything by exactly following instructions.

I am unsure of where to go from here. The output from earlier simple commands implies some sort of error. I can't speak as to when that error started, but it was potentially before you even set off on this. Otherwise, this might have gone smoothly.

It might be worth restoring to an old backup or starting anew with what you know now. It's a pain but you're getting environment variable errors when running an ls command. That's not normal. I don't even know what would cause that.

I am unsure of where to go from here. The output from earlier simple commands implies some sort of error. I can't speak as to when that error started, but it was potentially before you even set off on this. Otherwise, this might have gone smoothly.

It might be worth restoring to an old backup or starting anew with what you know now. It's a pain but you're getting environment variable errors when running an ls command. That's not normal. I don't even know what would cause that.

Your honest response is appreciated. When I ran Windows years ago, I kept backups but they always failed me when needed most. My system is not backed up. I will consider starting anew but would like to try one more, as Marcin wrote about an install using snap.

I entered the command in Terminal, and it returned this:

sudo: snap: command not found

Marcin wrote how to copy paste in Terminal. I had tried the usual ways with which I am very familiar but it wasn't working. Using his instructions it does, so now I can copy from Terminal when I am on the Lenovo.

Can someone help me with the snap command?

Is it possible I have just failed to save the changes in Terminal and that's why some of the issues appear?

I created a PYGPT folder under Downloads, and extracted the downloaded pygpt archive in it. Here's what Marcin graciously wrote:
Hi Gary, sorry, but I can’t help you with all of this from such absolute basics, I just don't have the time.

1) python and python3 are interchangeable, depending on how they appear in your system. You should use either one or the other command. Similarly with pip - you may have it in your system as either pip or pip3, so if somewhere it is mentioned:

pip install...

then you must execute:

pip3 install...

...if in your system, it appears under the command pip3. Or vice versa.

2) To unzip an archive in Linux, just right-click on it and there will be an option "Extract files" or something like that.

3) You can do copy/paste in the Terminal, with mouse right-click options for copy and paste or at the top of Terminal window in the Edit menu (you will find Copy and Paste there).

4) source venv/bin/activate must be performed in the directory where you previously created the virtual environment, also venv/bin/activate is only an example, it must match the name used during the creation of the environment, so if for instance, you created it with:

python -m venv my_env

then you will have to activate it using:

source my_env/bin/activate

5) I think the simplest option in your case would be to either download and extract the precompiled version from the archive and just run it without installation, or to install it by using Snap. You can do so by typing the following command in the terminal:

sudo snap install pygpt

After installation this way, you will have PyGPT available as icon with the name "PyGPT Desktop AI Assistant" in the "Start" menu, under Accessories.

Hope this helps. ;)

Best regards,
Marcin

Members online