HOW TO INSTALL PYGPT ON LINUX?

I can vouch for the commands to install Python's PIP. Those I know to be accurate. (You can verify this by searching for other tutorials, as I'm sure they exist.)

I can NOT vouch for PyGPT's properly installing with PIP. From the looks of things, that threw an error - but I have no idea how far along you are in installing/enabling Python's PIP.

You should have Nano available. If you do not, you'll need to install it. In the article, where Nano is referenced, there will be a link that will help you ensure that Nano is properly installed.

You're trying to do something that's a little advanced. That's fine, but it means knowing what you're doing or following the instructions. I can only vouch for the first two articles - those are correct and heavily reviewed by others here when shared.

If I'm following your progress properly, PyGPT is throwing an error during the installation process. I can't fix that. If it had been installed properly, and you'd completed both articles, you'd simply start the application by entering pygpt into the terminal. If you didn't complete the 2nd article, you'd enter ~/local/bin/pygpt into the terminal (probably) to start the application.

But, there's an error (in red text) when you try to install it. That needs to be resolved, I'm pretty sure.

Thank you for writing. I went through the whole process of installing PIP and then PYGPT. A Lot of files downloaded in Terminal. I was extremely careful to follow instructions to the letter and double check. That doesn't mean I didn't miss something.

I am not sure where I am with it either, but entering pygpt into the terminal returned 'Not Found.'

Seems Nano is available, it showed up in Terminal.

I wrote to Marcin, the developer, even sent him a cup of coffee as a gesture of goodwill. Sure, like most, he is busy and a prompt answer cannot be expected.

Well, I love the idea of having PyGPT on the Linux, but cannot let myself feel pressured by it, and have to let it go until something moves.

Your time is valuable too, and your response is appreciated.

Thank you for writing. I went through the whole process of installing PIP and then PYGPT. A Lot of files downloaded in Terminal. I was extremely careful to follow instructions to the letter and double check. That doesn't mean I didn't miss something.

I am not sure where I am with it either, but entering pygpt into the terminal returned 'Not Found.'

Seems Nano is available, it showed up in Terminal.

I wrote to Marcin, the developer, even sent him a cup of coffee as a gesture of goodwill. Sure, like most, he is busy and a prompt answer cannot be expected.

Well, I love the idea of having PyGPT on the Linux, but cannot let myself feel pressured by it, and have to let it go until something moves.

Your time is valuable too, and your response is appreciated.
I look a quick look at the instructions for pygpt it says to set up a Python venv and to install pygpt into that via pip.
Ref:

If you didn’t set up a venv and just used pip to install it onto your system, it’s likely that the application was installed to ~/.local/bin/pygpt, or possibly somewhere else in ~/.local, like ~/.local/share.

So if you’re unable to run it, it’s likely that the path to it isn’t in $PATH. The way to get it to run will be to edit $PATH to include the relevant directory.

I’m pretty certain when I installed tuir (Python based CLI Reddit client ) using pip directly, without setting up a venv:
It installed tuir somewhere in ~/.local, but it wouldn’t run because the directory containing it wasn’t in $PATH.
So I edited one of my dotfiles to append the path to $PATH. Then it was just a case of reloading my dotfile into bash to pick up the changes and allow tuir to run.

Unfortunately, I don’t have my laptop handy ATM. But I’ve posted about this exact kind of issue before…

Check out the following old post of mine:
It seems I was right about tuir, it got installed to ~/.local/bin. So I imagine it will be the same with pygpt.

My post linked above has instructions for editing /etc/X11/Xsession to add ~/.local/bin to the $PATH environment variable. That will probably fix your problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for writing. The developer of PyGPT just wrote back, and gave instructions for installing the missing portaudio library which was the reason for the ERROR message.

I have done that install, and am now looking for the command to run PyGPT.

I can vouch for the commands to install Python's PIP. Those I know to be accurate. (You can verify this by searching for other tutorials, as I'm sure they exist.)

I can NOT vouch for PyGPT's properly installing with PIP. From the looks of things, that threw an error - but I have no idea how far along you are in installing/enabling Python's PIP.

You should have Nano available. If you do not, you'll need to install it. In the article, where Nano is referenced, there will be a link that will help you ensure that Nano is properly installed.

You're trying to do something that's a little advanced. That's fine, but it means knowing what you're doing or following the instructions. I can only vouch for the first two articles - those are correct and heavily reviewed by others here when shared.

If I'm following your progress properly, PyGPT is throwing an error during the installation process. I can't fix that. If it had been installed properly, and you'd completed both articles, you'd simply start the application by entering pygpt into the terminal. If you didn't complete the 2nd article, you'd enter ~/local/bin/pygpt into the terminal (probably) to start the application.

But, there's an error (in red text) when you try to install it. That needs to be resolved, I'm pretty sure.

Marcin the PyGPT developer wrote back and told me how to install the missing portaudio library which threw the ERROR message. I have done that and entered pygpt at the command line but it does not recognize. I also performed earlier the action to correct the path issue. Is there a command to tell me where PyGPT now resides?

The missing library Pyaudio shows successfully installed. All commands to run PyGPT return things like file not found:

Attachments

• SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED PYAUDIO.png
    SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED PYAUDIO.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 25
  • PYGPT COMMAND NOT FOUND AFTER SUDO BUILD COMMAND.png
    PYGPT COMMAND NOT FOUND AFTER SUDO BUILD COMMAND.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 23
Try this command:

~/local/bin/pygpt

That's where I'd guess it is installed. I'm also assuming that it's following convention and lowercase.

Try this command:

~/local/bin/pygpt

That's where I'd guess it is installed. I'm also assuming that it's following convention and lowercase.

I had tried that but did again and it still returned:
NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY

I have also inquired again of Marcin, as it is understandable this is beyond the scope of Linux support.

Attachments

• NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY.png
    NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY.png
    910.8 KB · Views: 29
What's the output of this command:

ls ~/.local/bin

What's the output of this command:

ls ~/.local/bin

It says 'ls cannot access, no such ... exists'

Now there's a popup saying 'Authentication required / The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer'

I don't remember seeing anything about keyring before and used my password which it didn't accept two times. Probably I mistyped, but that's unusual. The third time it accepted the password.

Maybe the changes I made weren't saved?

How can I find out the current status?

Should I apply changes again?

Last edited:
It says 'ls cannot access, no such ... exists'

Then where did PIP install PyGPT?!?

I wonder if you've somehow otherwise broken things. You should almost certainly have this directory - and that's where Python applications should exist. (This assumes you didn't use sudo. If you used sudo, I'm not sure where they'd have gone - but even then it should be the same place.)

In your GUI file manager, see if you can (show hidden directories/files in your preferences - usually CTRL + H will do that) navigate to that directory in your GUI file manager.

You could also try asking the authors again to see if they somehow set a unique path. But, it should go right into your ~/.local/bin directory. That's /home/<your username>/.local/bin directory. The . (dot) means it is a hidden directory.

[Is there someway to ask whereis PyGPT?

In my notes I've written

# Python PIP Path
export PATH=$PATH:/home/$USER/.local/bin

What should that have done?

When you say
You could also try asking the authors again to see if they somehow set a unique path. But, it should go right into your ~/.local/bin directory. That's /home/<your username>/.local/bin directory. The . (dot) means it is a hidden directory.

Is emanatepresence normally inserted for your username? Should I have replaced $USER with something in the above path?

This is a refurbished Lenovo laptop from an Amazon seller. Could there be something retained from previous users even though I did a full Linux Mint Cinnamon Virginia install?

Last edited:

I wonder if you've somehow otherwise broken things. You should almost certainly have this directory - and that's where Python applications should exist. (This assumes you didn't use sudo. If you used sudo, I'm not sure where they'd have gone - but even then it should be the same place.)

In your GUI file manager, see if you can (show hidden directories/files in your preferences - usually CTRL + H will do that) navigate to that directory in your GUI file manager.

Since there was an ERROR due to the missing audio files, maybe PyGPT didnt install.

I am thinking to start over, with my own list of steps written from and for my understanding, and confirmed by you or someone else.

Marcin wrote the audio files have to be installed before PyGPT is installed. I don't know how critical that sequence is, but what do you think?

Run the installation (for PyGPT) again. You've installed the audio bits, so just try that.

That was pip install PyGPT I think.

Also, before you try that, try running this command:

~/.local/bin/PyGPT

(Just to see if it's not lowercase.)

What should that have done?

That needs to be in ~/.bashrc and then that file needs to be reloaded. That's covered in the 2nd article. It's done with Nano and then a simple terminal command where you declare a new source for the file.

@Emanate Presence if you need a command to locate pygpt, run this in the terminal:

sudo find / -name "pygpt" -type f

You will be asked the password you use to log in.

If you think that the case of the program can be different, e.g., "PyGPT" instead of "pygpt", then use this instead:

sudo find / -iname "pygpt" -type f

Good thinking.

I'm more worried that they never actually installed it, but that's good thinking.

@Emanate Presence if you need a command to locate pygpt, run this in the terminal:

You will be asked the password you use to log in.

If you think that the case of the program can be different, e.g., "PyGPT" instead of "pygpt", then use this instead:

sudo find / -iname "pygpt" -type f
That returns -

PATHS MUST PRECEDE EXPRESSIONS

PATHS MUST PRECEDE EXPRESSIONS.png

That needs to be in ~/.bashrc and then that file needs to be reloaded. That's covered in the 2nd article. It's done with Nano and then a simple terminal command where you declare a new source for the file.

All replies are appreciated and I am not trying to be exasperating. I don't know what the above refers to, or what I should do with it.

Will try re-install now using command you gave earlier.

Last edited:
Run the installation (for PyGPT) again. You've installed the audio bits, so just try that.

That was pip install PyGPT I think.

Also, before you try that, try running this command:

~/.local/bin/PyGPT

(Just to see if it's not lowercase.)

I ran the installation for pygpt using lowercase, and it returned whats in the screenshots.

I wouldn't trust myself to interpret this, but it sounds like it is saying the requirement (to install) has already been satisfied.

I think it actually gives the location, can you decipher that for me from the screenshots?

Can I know from this how to run PyGPT?

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

REQUIREMENT ALREADY SATISFIED 001.png
REQUIREMENT ALREADY SATISFIED 001.png
REQUIREMENT ALREADY SATISFIED 002.png

Last edited:
What's the output of ls -la ~/?

Please post the text, not a screenshot of the text.

Members online