How to Enable Mobile Broadband Adapter on Parrot OS

Inf1nity

Reaction score
Credits
INTRO
Hi all. First post here. I've been in I.T. for many years but looking to go above my normal pay grade and get into cybersecurity.

So what did I do? Downloaded Parrot OS, didn't I?

QUESTION
I have a Toshiba Portege Laptop with a cellular interface and I've set up the network but it says it's "not disabled" in the connections menu. Is there a command line I should know regarding how to enable/disable this connection? Specifically the mobile broadband connection.

I have a feeling it may be a driver issue also as it's a fresh install. I haven't been able to find any Linux drivers or information on the cellular connection at all.

NOTE: this is not a VM. It's installed directly into the hardware.

Any links or help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 358349190_1937365866623196_1215819197366233638_n.png
    358349190_1937365866623196_1215819197366233638_n.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 128

Welcome to the forums, parrot contains an application called inxi, [depending on which parrot you installed, you may have to install the inxi from the software manager]
once installed, open a terminal and run inxi -Nn, copy and paste back the results

wwan0 is the one I'm having issues with by the looks of it. I have a sim card with a data plan that's inserted into a sim tray
Screenshot at 2023-07-07 15-52-53.png

Possible issues
has the machine slipped into hard block [flight mode]? if so disable
check the settings in the mobile network manager.
if both OK try purging the bios [disconnect all cables from the machine, save any work, press and hold power key down for 60 seconds, then power up.
Which version of Parrot did you install, ? depending on which, you may need to install a network manager [from the software manager]

Been doing a bit of searching, IF YOU are NOT using anonsurf
GO TO CONTROL CENTER.
GO TO INTERNET AND NETWORK.
CLICK ON NETWORK PROXY.
SET YOUR PROXY CONFIGURATION TO AUTOMATIC PROXY CONFIGURATION.
I don't use anonsurf, but it may be worth checking any settings if you are

b6:29:98 should tell me the make of the adaptor, but its not returning any maker, If its a HUAWEI, they have known problems on debian [recent release] based distributions

I've done some more digging and I hope this could help you understand more about the config. a few warnings there.

Its a Toshiba Laptop

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2023-07-07 17-11-42.png
    Screenshot at 2023-07-07 17-11-42.png
    870 KB · Views: 204
@KGIII I have run out of steam on this one, as I have never used mobile internet, any Ideas

do you happen to know if this is this a pci device? you could try checking to see if it shows up in the output of

lspci -knn

your original post mentions a possible driver issue. if the adapter shows up in that without a "Kernel driver in use" line, that may be part of the issue. or i believe

inxi -Nnxxz

should show both driver as well as chip id info that may be helpful.

i've not used mobile broadband either, but you could try checking

rfkill

to possibly see if it is blocked and maybe

nmcli radio wwan

to see if it is enabled.

have you tried running a web search for the errors in post #7 to see if there are any related threads that might have solutions?

Last edited:
INTRO
Hi all. First post here. I've been in I.T. for many years but looking to go above my normal pay grade and get into cybersecurity.

So what did I do? Downloaded Parrot OS, didn't I?

QUESTION
I have a Toshiba Portege Laptop with a cellular interface and I've set up the network but it says it's "not disabled" in the connections menu. Is there a command line I should know regarding how to enable/disable this connection? Specifically the mobile broadband connection.

I have a feeling it may be a driver issue also as it's a fresh install. I haven't been able to find any Linux drivers or information on the cellular connection at all.

NOTE: this is not a VM. It's installed directly into the hardware.

Any links or help would be much appreciated.
Perhaps have a look here for some hints:

@KGIII I have run out of steam on this one, as I have never used mobile internet, any Ideas

The ideas I'd have are summed up nicely in @z7vl7abxc's reply. I have no experience with this and would only be able to ask basic questions and looking for obvious solutions in their reply.

The ideas I'd have are summed up nicely in @z7vl7abxc's reply. I have no experience with this and would only be able to ask basic questions and looking for obvious solutions in their reply.
Cellular interfaces differ from wireless interfaces. They're like mobile phone connections and run through cellular networks which are typically operated by telecommunications companies, which charge users for access to their networks. Though not familiar with this particular cellular connection, in the olden days the AT commands were used to configure connections, (like through minicom) and I still see some of them relevant today for some cellular interfaces.

Though not familiar with this particular cellular connection, in the olden days the AT commands were used to configure connections, (like through minicom) and I still see some of them relevant today for some cellular interfaces.

Yeah, I've never had a device that did this other than a tablet. I mostly only used that after the wreck and then it was just connected to the wireless at the house. (I spent a lot of time prone, so a tablet was handy for content consumption - but terrible for content creation, like typing a post.)

Latest posts