How to Detect USB External Modem

Hello Gentlemen I have a question as I continue to try to figure out the issues with this Fujitsu 532AH machine. I'm at another friends house who has just connected to fiber optics. The Fujitsu will not connect to wireless yet we did get an ethernet connection, in case that gives a clue to anyone. The Windows HP connects without issue. It is rather comical that these issues are making me appreciate Windows, still much of my issue is ethical with Windows.

Point is the son suggested it was a software issue and thought since the system recognizes the modem, external HD, and USB drives it might be a kernel issue.

I can see it is difficult to find the proper BIOS download, since I don't know when this machine was born exactly, and I don't want to cause myself more issues, so I'm asking if these clues shed any light. What is your best guess as to source of issue? I'm willing to start again from scratch if it is likely to cure the issue.
If I'm in the neighborhood of proper BIOS with correct chip and previous OS, what is the likely result of attempting a BIOS update, or is it a likely kernel issue, or possibly a combination. I am reading, yet this is where it has taken me thus far. Thoughts?

Yes. To eliminate software as a problem, I'd install a clean new hard drive in the Fujitsu and then install some other distro while on the fast internet connection. Boot up and see if the same thing occurs while on a good connection. It seems redundant, but i've seen stranger things happen.

1596473382031.png
Look for this here

The Special Edition cover was designed by Meemaw.

Download the PDF (4.9 MB) ... Downloads:

Then go here before downloading the ISO

Try it, despite what anyone else says and report back, please.

DOWNLOAD: https://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/community/ or https://pclosusers.com/communityiso/Openbox/
I'm unconventional an proud of it, but I get things done!

This eliminates software OS and HDD issues. Dont forget to edit repos to nearest mirror and update before trying to connect hardware giving issues in the near past.

I'd
Code:
 apt update && apt install mc
then
Code:
mcedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Choose from (pclosusers in Maryland is rumored to be the best repo)
MIRRORS:
https://udmeen.blogspot.com/2007/12/pclinuxos-repository-list.html

update & upgrade
Wish you the best!

Last edited:
Wiley One, Thank you once again. I absolutely want to take advantage of this hispeed potential. I too am unconventional....someone has to walk a different path :) I'll try it. Thanks again!

I guess the BIOS driver is not a BIOS update then.
I searched around and did not see anything specifically referring to a "BIOS driver" other than this page;

I think "BIOS driver" is referring to the driver software included in the BIOS suite of software. There are many which are needed to communicate with the hardware of the system.

I found some BIOS software on the Fujitsu support page but before attempting a BIOS update I would check the actual version of BIOS currently installed and compare. Fujitsu may not be offering a newer version. Also, it is sometimes useful to use the exact serial number of the machine when on the Fujitsu support site. Usually the serial number is located on a sticker on the bottom of the machine or sometimes under the battery. If you cannot locate it you can try entering the BIOS setup utility and looking for the serial number there.

Vrai, just saw your info. Thanks. I'm frustrated beyond endurance. I have the BIOS original .exe file, yet instructions speak of making a bootable drive with it and I can't figure that out. I'm thinking about getting a new motherboard, since I can't get into the BIOS to follow the instructions which speak of setting usb to 1st bootable etc. Can't get into BIOS really even when I can get a boot menu window. Two full days of frustration has about done me in. I love Linux programs, yet the OS is a bit intensive and my BIOS issue seems to be making things unsolvable. Is the BIOS perhaps on a card I can replace on MB? I'm researching. Thank you all for your graceful assistance.

I'm thinking about getting a new motherboard, since I can't get into the BIOS to follow the instructions which speak of setting usb to 1st bootable etc. Can't get into BIOS really even when I can get a boot menu window.
From the Fujitsu Users Guide located here;
BIOS Setup Utility
The BIOS Setup Utility is a program that sets up the operating environment for your LIFEBOOK
notebook. Your BIOS is set at the factory for normal operating conditions, therefore there is no need to
set or change the BIOS’ environment to operate your notebook.
The BIOS Setup Utility configures:
• Device control feature parameters, such as changing I/O addresses and boot devices.
• System Data Security feature parameters, such as passwords.
Entering the BIOS Setup Utility
To enter the BIOS Setup Utility do the following:

Turn on or restart your LIFEBOOK notebook.
2 To enter the BIOS Setup Utility, press the [F2] key once the Fujitsu logo appears on the screen. This will open the
main menu of the BIOS Setup Utility with the current settings displayed.
3 Press the [RIGHT ARROW] or [LEFT ARROW] key to scroll through the other setup menus to review or alter the current settings.
Is the BIOS perhaps on a card I can replace on MB?
No. It is on some chip or chips attached to the motherboard.

Am searching, bu no BIOS seems available for your AH532
Fujitsu_AH532_Dwnlds_BIOS.jpg

Fujitsu_AH532_OS-support.jpg

And it appears one has to be a registered Business User using enterprise Linux to get support.

I hope I am wrong

Attachments

• Fujitsu-SUSE_Business_en.pdf
    440.6 KB · Views: 547
When I tried going into Fujitsu support on the HP Windows they would not talk to me. Then I went in on Fujitsu when I got the ethernet to work, and I did download the BIOS update they had there for my AH532 with Windows 7, which is what was on the Fujitsu. I downloaded it on the fujitsu but it was an exe file which I could not get on a bootable drive. Then I wondered how the BIOS chip was packaged. I discovered that you can get a programmed replacement chip. I figured that was doable. I'm going to rest for a while now and see what you have attached in a few hours. I'll update later.

Good afternoon Vrai and Wiley One, thank you for the tasty info one WINE and Fujitsu support. I'll see what I can find out about converting exe files to iso or making bootable usb with exe. I have WINE installed yet maybe I need to add that i-386 architecture. I can focus some again after my nap. It would be better to go through software to fix things if possible. I was able to back up some documents to the external drive by dragging them, so the machine is functioning except when a program tries to internally access usb drives. Still I can't get into BIOS to set clocks or boot order etc even though the 'real time error' was not present today, my goal is to get things in proper order so that I can get an image with timeshift and back things up with clonezilla. I'm off to study potentials. Thanks for being there.

Vrai I think I did download that BIOS set up utility. I'll try looking at that in WINE.

Still I can't get into BIOS to set clocks or boot order etc
Do you mean that if you press [F2] at the proper time your machine does not enter the BIOS settings utility? How very strange :\
There is usually a very short window of opportunity to press the correct key in order to enter the BIOS settings. Generally just a few seconds. Sometimes it takes several tries to accomplish. I usually just "tap" the appropriate key repeatedly during the start up procedure.

Yes Vrai, it is strange. I am suppose to be able to access BIOS by pressing F2 or F12. They may have given a little different option originally, I can't remember. Now all I get is what looks like the boot menu with an additional 'application' tab, yet the boot tab offered a couple of option, even though none of them did anything when highlighted and press enter. When it functioned, highlighting and enter would take you deeper into BIOS settings. Not functioning now, AND the options change periodically. It is very strange.

Latest update...Today I spent the day reading and attempting to convert an exe into iso. No success. Then I downloaded a file from Fujitsu specific to updating BIOS for my machine in a format that UNetbootin, & Rufus would accept and attempt to make a bootable usb, however the usb drive location could not be located and I did not have the option of manually inputing. Again we have software unable to find the usb.

I never had any luck with Toshibas. In my research, Fujitsu seems tied to Toshiba, corporately perhaps.
Sorry for your hair-puling experience. No explanation other than both seem to be PsOS!

The only ones who may be able to help you wont! (*#%5^7s!

Then I downloaded a file from Fujitsu specific to updating BIOS for my machine I did download the BIOS update they had there for my AH532 with Windows 7, which is what was on the Fujitsu
Update your BIOS' machine from windows not from linux. Also, looking at the BIOS download here https://www.shopfujitsu.com/CSPortal/supportsearch.do?srch=DOWNLOADS for Windows 7 64bit, it says original and at the bottom of the page there's this
Note:
* Original: This is the original software/driver released with the computer. It is current and recommended for use.
* Updated: This software/driver is newer than the original version. It replaces the original software and is recommended for use.
What this means is that you probably downloaded the original version not an update. Boot into windows and double click the file, it should bring up a wizard, just follow the instructions and that's it. BIOS are OS independent so if you're just worried that installing from Windows won't affect/help Linux that's not the case.

Thank you Tolken for sticking with me through this. I'll try to do better in the communications department. What I meant is that when I was on my HP Windows machine the Fujitsu support site would not let me download the BIOS download. I had to connect through the Fujitsu Linux machine to download the Fujitsu BIOS download which was in exe format since originally the Fujitsu came with Windows 7. That is the beginning of this whole journey. I originally was trying to duel boot the Windows 7 with Linux Mint when the BIOS was broken and the machine crashed. I finally got into the machine again by replacing the CMOS battery which allowed me to eventually get current Mint 19.3 on this Fujitsu. Now the only issue I'm aware of is that I cannot access the BIOS to set clock which is off today...got a 'real time error' beep on boot today, And some programs do not recognize the usb ports...notably those programs which are working in dependency with the internal system [or however I should interpret that] like GNOME PPP & Clonezilla. There is no Windows on the Fujitsu now, but I have WINE and Play on Linux installed.
Wiley One: When you spoke of those who may know the answer and are not speaking, did you refer to folks on the forum or the Fujitsu Support folks? I have had good luck with the Fujitsus till Windows broke my BIOS. I have an XP that may be from the late 90's. Maybe a new chip will solve issues. It is coming from Germany, so it may take a while.

Last edited:
Thank you Tolken for sticking with me through this. I'll try to do better in the communications department. What I meant is that when I was on my HP Windows machine the Fujitsu support site would not let me download the BIOS download. I had to connect through the Fujitsu Linux machine to download the Fujitsu BIOS download which was in exe format since originally the Fujitsu came with Windows 7. That is the beginning of this whole journey. I originally was trying to duel boot the Windows 7 with Linux Mint when the BIOS was broken and the machine crashed. I finally got into the machine again by replacing the CMOS battery which allowed me to eventually get current Mint 19.3 on this Fujitsu. Now the only issue I'm aware of is that I cannot access the BIOS to set clock which is off today...got a 'real time error' beep on boot today, And some programs do not recognize the usb ports...notably those programs which are working in dependency with the internal system [or however I should interpret that] like GNOME PPP & Clonezilla. There is no Windows on the Fujitsu now, but I have WINE and Play on Linux installed.
Wiley One: When you spoke of those who may know the answer and are not speaking, did you refer to folks on the forum or the Fujitsu Support folks? I have had good luck with the Fujitsus till Windows broke my BIOS. I have an XP that may be from the late 90's. Maybe a new chip will solve issues. It is coming from Germany, so it may take a while.
Ah ... I see. No windows to boot from to update BIOS is not fun. I don't think WINE and/or Playonlinux can help with that since given the fact that some (many, few??) programs don't work at all is unliely such an important one like a BIOS update do. I use a couple of windows programs that've never worked using either wine or POL so I use a Windows virtual machine instead. Depending on how the BIOS update process is to be performed; double-click and follow a wizard? burn/install the file to a USB? you may or may not use a windows VM. If the BIOS update process implies burning/installing the .exe file you downloaded from fujitsu site, then it's worth a try. You could use virtualbox, create a windows VM, attach a USB to it, run the .exe file in the VM and install it to a USB. But since you've already bought a new chip, then just wait for it before going any further.

Tokem...Thank you Thank you!!! I'm glad to hear a new chip may fix things. I used Virtual box a hundred years ago in the Kubuntu 4.something I think tower. It was a major pain, yet that was before 8 months of Linux school :) . I do have an xp windows disk, so that could be possible. One does need the windows program on disk to accomplish a virtual box correct? Again I am Most Grateul for your assistance. We may get this machine straight one day soon.

Hello again everyone. The BIOS chip came in. Now I'm looking for the position of the BIOS chip. Any clue how I'd find that. Been searching for a video or picture or schematics for this Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 without success so far. Thought I ask here before I have to leave hispeed. I suspect I have to bend the connectors to plug in somewhere when I find the location. Any guidance is appreciated.

Last edited: